PDA

View Full Version : J-arms

EvilEwok
04-30-2006, 09:31 PM
So I've been looking around and have found great pre 90's banshee's that are as old as me and are in better condition. :p And for pretty damn cheap too, but I was just wondering, what exactly is wrong with the j-arms? Not as rigid? Don't maneuver as quick? Don't last as long? Hope you can answer my question, thanks.

quadwunner
05-01-2006, 06:38 PM
im wonderring the same thing?
obviously they arent as good as a-arms but whar are the exact problems with them?
also, can you mount up a-arms to j-arms?

xlastshotx
05-01-2006, 07:07 PM
also, can you mount up a-arms to j-arms?

you cant mount a-arms to a j-arm banshee, you have one of the top mounts moved and then it will work.

EvilEwok
05-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Bump, still no answer to my questions.

yellowzo3
05-02-2006, 12:32 PM
my guess is that people ditch them because there are no aftermarket j-arms. and if you want to go wider you need to buy a-arms...plus those year banshees are pretty old now and if your going to rebuild them why not upgrade. They probably arent as strong either so i guess people would rather be safe than sorry and upgrade to the a-arms.

enquadrider16
05-02-2006, 03:26 PM
i've heard that the control on them isn't as great and they break really easy, just my 2 cents

youngbansheeman
05-07-2006, 12:38 PM
In my opinion J arm is better for drag because it has less weight!It all depends on what you are going to use it for!Steering is the same for J & A arms.The year of a Banshee is not that much of a problem because you can just buy some new pistons and thats all you will need to have a new bike!

Meat
05-26-2006, 06:41 PM
there are aftermarket extended J-arms. Word is they'll go through bearings faster than A-arms would. Alot of drag racers use J-arms because of the lighter weight, but you see less and less of that because the aftermarket makes lightweight A-arms now.

I used to make&sell a J-arm to A-arm conversion kit, but I got out of that biz. Prolly sold around 50 conversion kits back in the day.

Rich250RRacer
05-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by EvilEwok
So I've been looking around and have found great pre 90's banshee's that are as old as me and are in better condition. :p And for pretty damn cheap too, but I was just wondering, what exactly is wrong with the j-arms? Not as rigid? Don't maneuver as quick? Don't last as long? Hope you can answer my question, thanks.

No rearward support on the upper arm. If you ride alot of trails or race XC, one rock or tree hit the right way will rip that J-arm right off. I've seen it happen and it ain't pretty. If hit hard enough, the J-arm will push back and bend the shock too.

RedneckYFZRida
05-28-2006, 10:06 PM
banshee got rid off J arms because they wernt as strong as the a arms

86350x
05-29-2006, 10:37 PM
J arms aren't very tough, and if you ride it even moderatly hard. It will probrably bend and give you problems. IMO, they look cool. Denton racing did sell aftermarket j-arms. An a-arm(and i'm talking done right) conversion isn't that easy at all! Most people end up picking up a new frame in most cases!

flynbrian1216
06-08-2006, 05:40 PM
ive got 2 jarm banshees and 1 ive had since new and a stock ive only bent 1 and it was on a high speed wheelie that went over then did multiple side flips there fine and you can get aftermarket but the uppers are a bit pricey dont be afraid to buy one