PDA

View Full Version : What causes engine tick..

nakomis0
04-30-2006, 06:11 PM
What are reasons for engine ticking. I messed something up. Its not the crank, or any bearings.

Its in the head... Valves, cam, rockers... not sure. I heard possibly even a loss off oil pressure can cause a tick.

I'm going to open it up and look at the cam lobes, rockers and valves. Don't know exactly what to look for but I hope I know when I see it.

So what causes engine tick.

This is an overly loud tick for sure. Something definately gave out. I'll check valve adjustment first. But I'm pretty confident its something else.

Glamis400ex
04-30-2006, 06:16 PM
could be your cam chain or your valves not adjusted right.

Glamis

rooster300ex
04-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Maybe some spec is off on the valve train? After market cams make a 400ex tick.

Ex'r Marlin
04-30-2006, 11:03 PM
I noticed going with a more aggressive cam that the "ticking" was more noticeable.

Also, if the valve adjustments are off, that should make some abnormal ticking.

Also, if there is an exhaust leak from your engine to your header, that will make a noticeably loud ticking noise.

Good luck!:)

JW450R1
05-01-2006, 04:41 AM
i could be a few different things.regrind cams don't last very long.
timming chain could be stretched,valves out of adjustment.rocker arms could be worn.try starting it up with the valve cover off for a few seconds to try to listen to see if the noise is in the valves/cam area.

nakomis0
05-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Its in the cam, valve area. I wont get to open it up till this weekend.

I lost an exhaust bolt, and my exhaust muffler rivets started to fall apart. I still had to ride it another 40 miles to get back. At the last 10 miles it just all of a sudden started ticking loud. Like someone fliped a swtich it was that quick. Could of been running lean with the loose exhaust.

I 'll let you know when i find out what the problem is.

Ex'r Marlin
05-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Ex'r Marlin
[B].... if there is an exhaust leak from your engine to your header, that will make a noticeably loud ticking noise.

nakomis0
05-02-2006, 05:15 PM

That would be nice. I just aint' ever heard a knock like this before. Even when I had loose rivits and no xhaust packing.

400exrider707
05-02-2006, 05:40 PM

He said his rivets fell out, that would be on the silencer not the headpipe to motor contact point.

Also most aftermarket cams make really really loud ticking on the 400ex, espcecially hotcam stage 1, but you said it did it all of a sudden? I would definitely take a look at that, your probably going to have to yank the valve cover off and inspect.

Ex'r Marlin
05-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Hopefully he can get it corrected.

I don't think the loose rivets would add to any "ticking" noise in the engine, but if there is a missing nut on the header to the engine, that can make a very loud ticking noise that sounds like the whole engine is out of wack.

I did notice that he said he had a missing bolt on his exhaust. I assumed he meant the nut missing on the header at the engine. My bad. Sorry.

Good luck!:)

redrider9045
05-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Timing