PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong with my comp.

WheelieMan4
04-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Well I have a Dell Laptop and on Firday it went to a blue screen and then shut off. It wont turn on at all now...??? I have no idea what is wrong with it, but like when you hit the button to turn it on, it tries to start...but then just dies. Anyone know what the heck happend to it??

04-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Battery charged?

WheelieMan4
04-30-2006, 05:55 PM
yea, its plugged in all the time...

WheelieMan4
04-30-2006, 06:38 PM
does anybody know?? my step-dad seems to think that it got to hot and cracked the circuit board? is that possible?

jeremy_283
04-30-2006, 06:54 PM
blue screen? how long was it blue? if it just messed up and broke wouldnt it just turn off wit no blue screen?

WhiteYFZ
04-30-2006, 06:56 PM
thats called the blue screen of death.. u got to reload xp.

omaits
04-30-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by tjespo22
thats called the blue screen of death.. u got to reload xp.

That is what everyone says when they have no clue what they are talking about. If it wont start, it can't be software related.

It is most likely bad ram. Less likely...a motherboard. I got a new Dell M70 and go the blue screen after only a couple weeks. I called Dell up and a guy came and swapped the ram. Voila.

If you have 2 sticks of Ram, you might want to try taking one out. If you still have the problem, take the other out and put the 1st one back in.

WheelieMan4
04-30-2006, 07:32 PM
so you think its most likely the ram and motherboard? you called dell directly and they fixed it for free? i dont even have a dell place around me...so how would that work for me...??

im glad my step-dad has another computer for work...or i would be super bored not being on this site...

jeremy_283
05-01-2006, 05:26 AM
have you tried hitting it yet :)

omaits
05-01-2006, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by WheelieMan4
so you think its most likely the ram and motherboard? you called dell directly and they fixed it for free? i dont even have a dell place around me...so how would that work for me...??

It depends on what kind of support you got when you purchased the computer. My laptop was for work, so I got the Gold support. This includes 5 year parts/labor and onsite repairs. If you do have this coverage, it doesn't matter where you live...soemone will come and fix it. They usually use contractors that are nearby for their repairs so it doesn't matter where the nearest Dell place is.

I would suggest calling the support line. They can usually walk you through some general troubleshooting to see what the problem is. It is hard to say what the problem is with the limited information you gave but these types are problems are usually 90% of the time Ram.