PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with my Front end?? LT Axis..

bad01300ex
04-30-2006, 09:29 AM
ive got fully adj LT tripple rate axis, ive never have suspension like this before, and its used, so ive got a few questions.

When i pull up on the front bumper, so that suspension is fully extended, and then let go, it just stays there........

and then when i push it back down, it has to go far down until it rebounds.

and the top spring is compressed and there is no crossover

AND, they are alfull squeaky

am i just in need of a service???????

(front end fully extended)

bad01300ex
04-30-2006, 09:30 AM
this is where it starts to rebound

bad01300ex
04-30-2006, 09:31 AM
look at the top spring, this is where it starts to rebound

JR3
04-30-2006, 10:54 AM
u said they stay down when u push down on the bumper right adjust the rebound the little blue knob at the bottom turn it right to turn the rebound up also go to custom axis website they have a full guide u can down load that tells u everything about ur shocks.

Ridered416ex
04-30-2006, 11:55 AM
if those are long travel anrs you have them upside down

Pappy
04-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Ridered416ex

no, he has them mounted correctly.

loosen the bolts where the arms mount to the frame and loosen the shock bolts. see if that allows for less resistance. fresh powder and too much torque on the bolts can make everything work against itself.

416exmx
04-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Ridered416ex

lol, they are on the right way.

The top spring is the zps ssd whatever you want to call it spring. More than likely it is staying up because your tires are gripping on your floor and not sliding allowing it to rest back down and compress on the top spring. Out on the track with you on it you'll be fine. They are working right from the pics and what you are saying.

bad01300ex
04-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the input guys

Pappy, the bolts acctually are not tight yet, i just threw the shocks on there to make sure everything is on correctly

So the top spring should not have a crossover?

Also, they squeak a little bit, im going to send them to C&D to have them serviced. Its been about a year since they have been.

tido450
04-30-2006, 06:07 PM
the noise is normal i have brand new ones and they make little squeek type noises.

400exrules
04-30-2006, 06:59 PM
haha did u say squeeky? you should hear my stock fronts:eek2: :rolleyes: :o

jrspawn
04-30-2006, 11:12 PM
You need some cross over's in the first rate more than likely. Check your ride heigth and sag setting, more than likely your are gonna be a little low in the front, you should never really run the first rate on the axis shocks without a crossover, most of the time you will have way too much sag. And DO NOT just crank the rebound up, that is only for the shock it self(not springs) rebound dampening, you might have an unexpected surprise if you crank them all the way up and go to ride her:eek2:

Give Penske/Axis a call at (610) 375-6180, ask for Tim Brady there, tell him Justin Reed referred you to him. He(and Axis) has been more than helpfull to me with all my Axis shocks, i cant say enough good things about them, ill am Axis die-hard and run them on all my race quads.

Justin
jrspawn@aol.com

fandl450r
05-01-2006, 10:14 AM
It may just be me, but is that a crossover ring above the preload clip?

bad01300ex
05-01-2006, 12:20 PM
now that you said something, i went and checked it out, it is.................wtf:confused:

jrspawn
05-01-2006, 01:18 PM
lol:eek2: that might be an issue:D

Justin
jrspawn@aol.com

fandl450r
05-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Yes definitely, although its not going to interfere with anything since the clip does not move. But I'm guessing, if its the correct crossover, it might be for the top spring.

416exmx
05-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Yeah now that I look at that it is. I went out and snapped pics of my Axis.

Extended

416exmx
05-01-2006, 01:58 PM
compressed down to normal ride heigth.

bad01300ex
05-01-2006, 03:18 PM
ok i went and switched them out, i knew my top spring wasnt supposed to be smashed down like a pancake

BTW, where do you guys recommend I get a service done at?
should i go strait to custom axis, or would C&D racing or somebody else be fine?

fandl450r
05-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by bad01300ex
ok i went and switched them out, i knew my top spring wasnt supposed to be smashed down like a pancake

BTW, where do you guys recommend I get a service done at?
should i go strait to custom axis, or would C&D racing or somebody else be fine?

Custom Axis will take ages to get anything done, someone like C&D would be a fine choice to get them redone.

jrspawn
05-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Penske/Axis does not take ages to do work. I use them at least once a month or more for shocks work, very fast turn arounds. Normally i send them out and have them back by the end of the week. They are a top notch facility and know what they are doing, i only use them direct. Like i mentioned before, call them, ask for tim brady, tell him justin reed referred you, and they will take care of you. They're custom support is better than any other ive ever seen, def. a great bunch of people who know how to correctlly do shocks.

Justin
jrspawn@aol.com

bad01300ex
05-01-2006, 04:47 PM
well justin im going to take your word for it, ill be giving them a call tomorrow

you know about how much i should be lookin at?

jrspawn
05-01-2006, 05:02 PM
I cant remember off the top of my head what a normal reuild cost, i normally have different things done and so on. Ive used many other "shock service" shops, and thought they were doing good, but after going direct to penske, ill never go anywheres but them! Think about it, they are the ones building the things to start with. Plus with Penske taking full control of it now, they are state of the art man. These guys are build shocks for the leading IRL/Indy cars, supermoto bikes, grand prix bikes, everything really. Ive got to see all of the shop/lab personally, and wow, state of the art man thats all i can say. On two occasions ive had shocks "rebuilt" by two different pretty large ATV shops and soon after took direct to axis and saw first hand how things were wrong inside, and the anodizing of internal parts being scratched up because of incorect assembly done to them, its crazy man. But like anything else, i would only recommend them, and the same to all other shocks companys, who better to go over them than the people who build them.

Justin
jrspawn@aol.com