PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki's brochure pic of the Z400

Guy400
10-06-2001, 09:31 PM
This pic is a lot better than the ones we've been seeing. I personally like the stacked headlight design and I don't mind the Raptor fenders :D

Front end looks to be very Honda-ish. Similar shock angle to the 400EX and the bottom portion of the frame looks similar. Appears to have a pretty good rake to the lower part of the frame as well. Is that a 400EX muffler????

Leo
10-06-2001, 10:14 PM
well one thing is for sure....

the plastic is much more attractive than the c'dale....

the bottom of the pic says '02.. can we assume that it will be released in the spring..? I would think if it wasn't going ot show up untill next fall it would be a '03..?

Leo

stocktires
10-06-2001, 10:58 PM
personally i kinda like it! Is that seat like a lt250 & lt500 seat??? It kinda looks like it! The light is what i dont like cuz im a MX'er, but it looks like a zuki 400ex!

RideRed04
10-06-2001, 10:59 PM
It almost looks like a raptor with different plastic/pumper/etc. Hmmm... did the c-dale press guy go to suzuki?

Nausty
10-06-2001, 11:42 PM
omg I love it maybe if my dad getts into quadding enough and we need to get rid of the blaster we will have a modded yellow 400ex in our garage with drz400 quad.

stocktires
10-06-2001, 11:48 PM
well, this will probably be my next quad! I was waiting for a liquid-cooled 400 motor! Anybody want a AWESOME 250r for $5000 (obo)!?!?!?!?!:devil :devil :devil

Nausty
10-06-2001, 11:55 PM
I would figure you having a 250r would rather have a 400ex because it will be a long time tell mods will be available for the drz. Or I would keep the 250r and put all the good parts that are interchangable on the drz. Like rims, bars, tires, shocks if they will work, ect.

stocktires
10-07-2001, 12:04 AM
I love the 400ex...but! I hate air-cooled engines, the 400ex is underpowered for the nationals (i will be racing ama in 2 years)! But I already have all those mods you mentioned! So I'm just gona save for about 4-6 months and sell my baby (R)! I love my 250 but I like a 4-stroke's torque alot cuz i ride alot of trails!

Guy400
10-07-2001, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Leo
well one thing is for sure....

the plastic is much more attractive than the c'dale....

the bottom of the pic says '02.. can we assume that it will be released in the spring..? I would think if it wasn't going ot show up untill next fall it would be a '03..?

Leo
I think the '86 Quadsport 230 has more attractive plastic than the Cannondale :) I don't know if Suzuki's going to do like Yamaha and release bikes about 6 months early or not. The '01 Raptor went on sale July of 2000 and the same with the '02's. From the angle of this pic it does look like the "T-bone" seat that all of us long time Suzuki guys came to love.

I'm going to give this bike 3-4 months after it's release before I decide on it or not. The Raptor's tranny problems were realized within this time frame but I was dumb and didn't do any research until well after I bought it. I want to get a hint it's reliability before I buy. We can safely say that my plans to buy a new 400EX have been suspended pending the results of a reliability test with the new Z400.

RideRed04
10-07-2001, 08:55 AM
Did some side by side comparisons, and I dont think it is a fake. The front of the frame is different (although it could have been done on a computer). The plastic is VERY similar, and if it is a real pic, I think the plastic will be interchangable between the raptor and z400. The only differences are minor, so you can tell suzuki didnt pull a quadracer 250 here and revolutionize the sport. Suzuki has been doing this ever sence they left the preformance arena. They need to get their rear's in gear.

Guy400
10-07-2001, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by RideRed04
The only differences are minor, so you can tell suzuki didnt pull a quadracer 250 here and revolutionize the sport. Suzuki has been doing this ever sence they left the preformance arena. They need to get their rear's in gear. Suzuki was the first with the Quadracer 250 so of course it revolutionized the market. If the 250R came out first and then Suzuki released the LT250R people would've said that it missed the target because of it's inferior frame. This is their first stab at the performance market since they left in '92. Remember, Honda didn't revolutionize anything in '99 in terms of chassis or plastic. It's basically a 250R chassis and very similar plastic with 2 headlights on the nose. I'm not bashing them because it's a formula that works. Suzuki seemingly took a hard look at the 250R/400EX chassis architecture which is the best in the business and modeled it and then they looked at the Raptor's plastic which is seen by most to be the most aggressive and good looking design on the market and combined the 2. I think they did a good job. Of course you can't please everybody so there's going to be the "ugly headlight" comments and so on. I just hope that this bike actually performs like it's capable of.

Leo
10-07-2001, 12:19 PM
the front nosepiece is actually starting to grow on me a bit..

the front bumper looks very 'honda-ish'..

more sport quads = improved sport quads

Leo

stocktires
10-07-2001, 01:12 PM
does anyone see a radiator on it? I like leo's theory!

Guy400
10-07-2001, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 1986trx250r
does anyone see a radiator on it? I like leo's theory! Looks to me like it's behind the upper shock mount, about 6-8" back. Much in the same location as on the 250R's.

10-07-2001, 01:52 PM
When I first saw it, I saw bombardier characteristics, then after closer observation, the ex front frame,tires and silencer similarities. Oh well,
I hope it turns out to be a good jumping, strong quad.I believe Suzuki is more than capable of producing this kind of a machine. Guy, waiting to find out how it performs, if any flaws exists would definitely be wise.
I have heard that cannondale didn't give many people grief when it came down to repairing or replacing defectives parts. Hopefully Suzuki will not have to deal with such by having a solid product off the line.
John

Guy400
10-07-2001, 02:04 PM
From what I've read Cannondale has been extremely good with acknowledging problems and correcting them (even on bikes that are no longer under warranty). This is how you make long term customers. Too bad Yamaha isn't taking notes from Cannondale...

10-07-2001, 02:10 PM
also remember that everyone realeses models half way through the pressent year...car companys,atv's,bikes...my friend just got his 02 yz125 in august...i hope this thing kills everyone else cause i need more power

Guy400
10-07-2001, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by McgrathSucks
i hope this thing kills everyone else cause i need more power Amen to that:devil

4punksdad
10-07-2001, 05:17 PM
That is a tight looking machine.........I hope it runs as good as it looks..........leo might have to change the name of this site to EXZriders.com.........LOL

RideRed04
10-07-2001, 06:03 PM
Yeah, the 02's have been out for a while, I got mine june 21st!

stocktires
10-07-2001, 06:22 PM
I really like the exzriders.com name! Its seems I'll be buying the new zuki unless it has reliability problems like the raptor! The drz400 motor seems to have MUCH more potential that 400ex's! and I dont want a raptor so I'll be takeing a good look at the Z!

4punksdad
10-08-2001, 06:28 PM
I wonder if suzuki will can the quadsport 80 plastic & copy the plastic of the "Z" on its mini quad...............like yamaha did with the breeze?

Warrioreater400ex
10-10-2001, 11:09 AM
it looks like it sits awfully tall, wouldtn that make it a little tippy? im just wondering cuz it looks tall kinda like the raptor, but it looks a lot taller than the 400, couldnt that hurt the handling? i dont konw cuz ive never ridden the raptor but im just wondering.

Guy400
10-10-2001, 11:17 AM
Actually, the seat height is the same as the 400EX. Look at the Raptor and Suzuki pics side by side and you'll see a huge difference.

Guy400
10-10-2001, 11:18 AM
And here's the Zuk

inacoma91
10-10-2001, 12:22 PM
Yeah it looks like the Z is the same height as the EX. I am starting to grow to like the Z. In the meantime i still like my EX a lot.

Guy

I would look into one of these and see the quality of this quad. I think it would be cool if ya got one of these.

Andrew

Guy400
10-10-2001, 12:24 PM
Put it this way. If this bike proves to be reliable, it's bought.

inacoma91
10-10-2001, 12:40 PM
If the quality is there and it handles like the EX and it shows to have more power than the EX then it looks to me like it would be a nice bike. So i would definitly look at it the way you do too. Reliability.......................

Andrew

stocktires
10-10-2001, 02:44 PM
im with you 2! If its better than the 400 and as reliable, i'll ave one in my garage soon! :D

10-25-2001, 05:26 PM
come on guys that`s a yellow raptor
what an original peice we have here.You
would atleast think Suzuki would have
tryed a bit?

10-29-2001, 03:43 PM
im with u guys i want a 400 liquid cooled with reverse and this is my dream quad!!! i already went down to my dealer and they said the first batch of them will be there 3-4 months. they already have brochures and banners!!! i cant wait!!

10-30-2001, 03:08 PM
Now, the question is, where have I seen those zoo-key tires before? Dam, I hate it when I cant remember things! Oh well, I'm sure it will come to me later. :rolleyes:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p9c139f23efe33c69461b6a28173933ee/fe28a382.jpg.orig.jpg

Guy400
10-30-2001, 06:58 PM
This has been discussed so many times before but I'll repeat it once more. WHO CARES that they're using the Dunlop radials? They are the best stock tire to date, shouldn't we be applauding them for choosing this tire? Wait, you'd rather they use their own tire just to be different regardless of the fact that it would perform worse. Sounds good to me....

RideRed04
10-30-2001, 08:11 PM
I agree with guy here, I have heard that the dunlops are very prone to punctures, but so it the tire they were patterned after...(guess us honda guys cant complain, eh?)

Guy400
10-31-2001, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by RideRed04
I have heard that the dunlops are very prone to punctures, but so it the tire they were patterned after...(guess us honda guys cant complain, eh?) Actually, the Dunlops are very puncture resistant as far as stock tires go. Nobody on the Connection or at Bluetraxx ever complained about them puncturing. I've heard several complaints on this board about the Ohtsu's and have seen one get punctured by who knows what (never did see anything that would've popped the tire).

4punksdad
11-01-2001, 05:31 PM
The suzuki excites me quite frankly..........who cares what tires it has in stock form? we are all planning on wearing them out & getting the tire of our choice anyway.........as far as the stock honda 400ex tires go, I have had excellent luck with mine so far. The 300EX rear tires need to be ditched immediately for serious riding.

canadian400ex
11-01-2001, 05:42 PM
yup, i think suzuki made a good choice of tires..the raptor and 400ex radials are the best stock tires i have ever seen. The ds650 baja edition went with 400ex radials all the way around too!....and yup, 3punks, those 300ex tires are pretty lame for aggressive riding.

stocktires
11-01-2001, 06:48 PM
the 300ex rear tires arent great, but work ok on trails, sand, and slight mud cuz thats what honda intended the 300ex to be! A sporty trail machine. but the fronts are not bad at all! I run them on my 300 and the are awesome! just a good all around tire that isnt worth the money to change. Guys i wouldnt go out and buy the first z400 at ur local dealer, i plan on gettin me a cannondale, doesnt matter which one but i kinda want a cannibal so i dont waste money and i can build a pro level quad. like pep shocks and LSR chassis, the moto 440 is an awesome bike but i want somethin a little better for the nationals

11-02-2001, 12:12 PM
One word. Chill. I think fighting with the juvenilles on this board has got you a little wound up. Notice now, I DID NOT say anything BAD or GOOD about the dunlops tires, I only mentioned that they were the same. Why do you automatically assume that I was dissin' em' (or dissin' the fact that suzuki is using them as well). I was not aware that this "discussion" was talked about repeately, I was only simply making an observation that I personnally had not noticed before (which I decided to share with the board for those who may have not noticed it either). All I'm sayin' is that I think you may have come off a little harsh in your responce.

Peace to my peeps.

P.S. - I personnally ride these tires because that is what came on my raptor as well as yours.

P.S.S. - I had to tube one of my front tires due to a sidewall punture. Just a little FYI.

Guy400
11-02-2001, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by HellStell
Now, the question is, where have I seen those zoo-key tires before? Dam, I hate it when I cant remember things! Oh well, I'm sure it will come to me later. :rolleyes: Well when you make an under-your-breath like comment such as the one you made and then close it with a rolleyes that conveys the thought that you were dissing the Zuk. Say what you mean, mean what you say:)