PDA

View Full Version : when u took your choke off..

flauge
04-29-2006, 07:56 PM
what did yall use to plug the hole up. i guess im gonna go to advance auto and buy one of those little vaccuum nipple plug thingys. is that what yall used?

IanCFitz
04-29-2006, 08:10 PM
You know the black cap you pull off to get the choke shaft out?
I just left the base, and snapped the cap back on.

flauge
04-29-2006, 08:27 PM
im not too sure, im going to have to look at that in the mornin to see what you're talking about..

unregisterd
04-30-2006, 06:32 AM
i took electrical tape and put a peice on top and then wraped it tight around the sides

atvracer980
04-30-2006, 07:54 AM
I just used some epoxy to seal the hole- making sure its smooth on the inside.

RangerRick
04-30-2006, 10:50 AM
I just used vaccumn(spelling?) line and screwed a bolt into it.

flauge
04-30-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by RangerRick
I just used vaccumn(spelling?) line and screwed a bolt into it. i might just do that if i dont go to the store. what size line was it. i think theres some line in the shed so i might use that...

Def-e-nition
05-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Go out , get yourself a pair of Pliers . It must have a rubber handle .You know - the two rubber covers you get on them - one each side .Insulators i think they are called . The end of which is so neatly shaped like a ...err... um .. Condom .

Well - i was in a damn Hurry !!

Anyway . So - i slid off a bit of the end of the Pliers , cut off the Bottom , and slid that piece over the hole left in the Carb ... Works like a charm . Cable tie the thing up , or a back-fire might blow it off ( ahh what the hell - just do it to be safe )
Stand back and admire your Macguyver-like handywork .
:D :huh

Chino886
05-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by flauge
what did yall use to plug the hole up. i guess im gonna go to advance auto and buy one of those little vaccuum nipple plug thingys. is that what yall used?

That is what I used and it works perfect. Buy a little hose clamp and you are good to go.

jsmith2232
05-02-2006, 09:27 AM
I stuck a piece of rubber hose on mine and screwed a short bolt in the open end, works great, free and easy.

ohsobad_chevy
05-02-2006, 12:44 PM
I yet to see a reason to take the choke off of your carbs. It is just a butterfly valve. You will have hell starting it on cold days or mornings and you will see soo little difference it wont be noticable.

ohsobad_chevy
05-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Def-e-nition
Go out , get yourself a pair of Pliers . It must have a rubber handle .You know - the two rubber covers you get on them - one each side .Insulators i think they are called . The end of which is so neatly shaped like a ...err... um .. Condom .

Well - i was in a damn Hurry !!

Anyway . So - i slid off a bit of the end of the Pliers , cut off the Bottom , and slid that piece over the hole left in the Carb ... Works like a charm . Cable tie the thing up , or a back-fire might blow it off ( ahh what the hell - just do it to be safe )
Stand back and admire your Macguyver-like handywork .
:D :huh

!!!!!WOW!!!!!

This guy is great :rolleyes:

flauge
05-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
I yet to see a reason to take the choke off of your carbs. It is just a butterfly valve. You will have hell starting it on cold days or mornings and you will see soo little difference it wont be noticable. Yea but taking out the butterfly valve would probably add a few CFM and help the carb flow a little better i imagine. I dont ever use the choke anyways, it dosent ever get that cold in GA:ermm:

WHLNWGN
05-02-2006, 03:55 PM
I just simply bought Vaccuum caps from Auto Zone. Assorted sizes for 1.99. still have about 5 or 6 left. Fit perfectly.

Def-e-nition
05-03-2006, 03:43 AM
Hey Ohsobad - i also doubted the difference .

I was sceptical at first - the idea had never crossed my mind until i went onto the site. seeing that you yanks leave nothing standard , and mods a re cheaper there , i figured - what the hell , and tried it .

Yes , its onyl a butterfly . My bike is set standard so rich , that closing the choke up only strangled the bike completely . So i had no need for it . It remains an Obstruction to Airfliow , Regardless of what size it is , and how thin it becomes when in the "off" position . Removing it onyl serves to improve airflow , and that is what the fuss is al about . Throttle bodies have no choke on them - the emphasis there is Maximum airflow with minimal resistence . trust me when i say that it improves throttle response dramatically . These darn things are slow enough as it is .
Somewhere else one of the posters mentioned fitting a larger pilot, to compensate for the hard starting .

That should do the trick .

I am so convinced that it works , that I am hesitant to tell anyone else here in my hometown exactly what I did !

;) ;)

jshtex
05-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
I yet to see a reason to take the choke off of your carbs. It is just a butterfly valve. You will have hell starting it on cold days or mornings and you will see soo little difference it wont be noticable.

Ours has been off for three years. Two pumps on the throttle and it starts every time, hot or cold.

As for helping, honestly I can't say for sure cause we did that at the same time as a bunch of other stuff. But not having the choke certainly hasn't hurt.

ohsobad_chevy
05-03-2006, 05:46 PM
The reason I said that is because I took my choke off and it ran worse than it did with it on. It also took me forever to start it. I just diddnt see the point in doing it.

jordan_m6
05-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by IanCFitz
You know the black cap you pull off to get the choke shaft out?
I just left the base, and snapped the cap back on.

this is a....... FREE!!!!! and you dont have to go anywhere.
this method also uses the o-ring in the base to seal it of.

thats what i did.

Def-e-nition
05-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Chev' . It might have leaned out your mixture too much , which made you lose power . But I guess you already knew that . That is the ONLY reason i can think of that removing an obstruction from the mouth of your Carb made it run worse .

The guy above is correct - 2 pumps , and Bingo - she starts. The onyl time i struggle is for the first 5 minutes , getting the cld engine up to operating temperature- then it wants to stall for free .

Other than that - ill tell yu how this mod works with a Dynojet kit installation after this weekend . Im a little hesitant to do this , but , as with all salesman , he wouldnt let me leave with a pipe and No jet kit ....

1fst400
05-04-2006, 08:27 AM
I put a little jb weld in the hole. then took a die grinder ( air powered dremel thing) and opened up the whole carb. It made a noticible diffrence! I sold the carb for like 20$ after I got my fcr tho.

Def-e-nition
05-05-2006, 01:02 AM
open up and say "aAHHHH " ! now that pic should settle anyone in doubt !.

Thats what i call a MOd .!

Im just wondering if it didnt slow down your air velocity - air flows quicker and colder through a small hole .

But now you got my mind thinking ....

im doing the jets this weekend . and pipe . i might as well , go and find my dremel and ...

ThorR88
05-05-2006, 11:23 AM
whats the point of taking a choke off?

GPracer2500
05-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by ThorR88
whats the point of taking a choke off?

Removing it provides a little better airflow through the carb.