View Full Version : Looking into aftermartket suspension

striker1001
04-29-2006, 03:08 PM
I have a 400ex, all mods in sig. I ride trails and sometiimes go to the dunes. I have never botomed out my shocks but i am looking for some after market shocks cause people tell me ill be able to push my quad faster and harder and have more control over it. Heres my question if i get elka recreational suspensions, non resevoir, will i need a-arms and such. Also, will they really be that much better than stock?

zrpilot
04-29-2006, 03:56 PM
Striker,

Yes I think the best money spent is on suspension, consquently your friends are right, you'll be a faster rider with the better suspension. But suspension needs to be thought out. You can't do something to the front without doing something to the rear for the full benefits!

An upgrade to Elka recs on the front will be a vast improvement over stock, however (please get others opinions on this) you should think about having the rear shock matched to the fronts.

You can run them (Elkas) with the standard A-arms!

Just my $.02

Good luck!

JW450R1
04-30-2006, 04:35 AM
1 agree.+2+1 a arms maybe burgard their not to much $.i put on +2+1 elkas piggys.the are awesome.huge difference.also i put rear elka and dual linkage.even more of a difference.handling their is no comparance to stock.i can do much more

TheFontMaster
04-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Yes the elka recs will work with your stock suspension. But like zrpilot said you should also look into getting something done in the rear. Ether an elka shock, or have your stock one get rebuilt.

Ex'r Marlin
04-30-2006, 11:32 PM
I too agree with zrpilot.

I actually recommend investing in aftermarket suspension before getting an aftermarket exhaust. :cool:

NOTE: Once you go with an aftermarket suspension, you may never go back to stock!:D :eek:

Good luck!:)

04TRX400EX
05-01-2006, 01:09 AM
Aftermarket suspension is supposed to make a night and day difference in riding ... I say supposed because I don't really have any experience with anything but stock suspension setups. I will say that from what I have heard, the Elka Rec Series shocks are a great improvement over the stockers. In fact, I am ordering mine from C&D Racing (site sponsor) tomorrow and am also sending them my rear to get rebuilt and converted to a dual-rate Elka. From all the hours of research I have done, this appears to be a great setup for those that want more from their quad: smoother ride, better handling, more travel, etc. You can use them with stock a-arms too. I'll be sure to post some pics and opinions of mine once I get them :macho

400exMO
05-01-2006, 01:23 PM
It is a night and day difference, I'll never own a quad with stock suspension again. I also agree that you should purchase aftermarket shocks before a pipe, but D*MN I need a pipe.