PDA

View Full Version : Is there any differences between tether kill switches

yellow400
08-04-2002, 01:36 PM
I was just wondering if there was any differences between brands of tether kill switches??

Punk13rym
08-05-2002, 07:47 AM
there is no difference accept in looks. but the gunnar kill switch is much easier to instally then the prodesign kill switch. (you don't have to cut any wires with the gunnar).

yellow400
08-05-2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Punk13rym
there is no difference accept in looks. but the gunnar kill switch is much easier to instally then the prodesign kill switch. (you don't have to cut any wires with the gunnar).

How about the Maier kill switch do you know if you have to cut any wires for that?

Sparks425Ex
08-05-2002, 08:56 AM
There is a difference. Many are designed very cheaply. I have seen some that are only attached with one screw and some others have different connections.

Also teh peice that pulls off to shut off the engine somtimes are not tight or do not fit well.

There are many different kill switchs.

I have found that Pro design is one of better quality.

Juggalo
08-05-2002, 09:29 AM
yes there are some big differences! there are 2 types that i have seen, one that has a button on it and a little cap that goes over the button (like the maier) and one that has a switch that slides and a clip that goes in between (pro design). the pro design one is much better. they maier ones come off to easy but they have gotten better in the past few years. the rubber thing they use to push the button down will deteriorate after a while and won't work as good and they are a much crappy made unit than the pro design. the pro design is the best one out there..i dunno about the gunnar one tho i've never seen one so i don't know if its like the pro design or the maier. oh yeah one more thing to instal the maier one you have to drill into your plastic, and the pro design clamps onto your handlebars.

Punk13rym
08-06-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by LSR416Ex
There is a difference. Many are designed very cheaply. I have seen some that are only attached with one screw and some others have different connections.

Also teh peice that pulls off to shut off the engine somtimes are not tight or do not fit well.

There are many different kill switchs.

I have found that Pro design is one of better quality.

is it even possible to have a kill switch with only one wire( i don't think so).:confused:

Punk13rym
08-06-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
yes there are some big differences! there are 2 types that i have seen, one that has a button on it and a little cap that goes over the button (like the maier) and one that has a switch that slides and a clip that goes in between (pro design). the pro design one is much better. they maier ones come off to easy but they have gotten better in the past few years. the rubber thing they use to push the button down will deteriorate after a while and won't work as good and they are a much crappy made unit than the pro design. the pro design is the best one out there..i dunno about the gunnar one tho i've never seen one so i don't know if its like the pro design or the maier. oh yeah one more thing to instal the maier one you have to drill into your plastic, and the pro design clamps onto your handlebars.

i would say that the Gunnar is probally better then the Pro Design. the Gunnar kill switch comes with a water proof seal where the wires come out the sides. the wires hook into the electrical system without cutting any wires. very easy to install too.

2k2-300exnj
08-06-2002, 07:18 PM
i had a pingel for my 300 but i never put it on and let my uncle buy it from me he put it on his kx125 just for the **** of it, is the gunner a better switch then the pingel? i really like the pingels looks though

also how does the gunner attach without cutting wires?

Punk13rym
08-06-2002, 07:23 PM
here is where it connects. the red arrow is where the ground goes and the blue circle is where the blue connectors go. its very easy.

RytM1
08-06-2002, 07:38 PM
The Pro Design switch installs the same way. One wire to a ground point, and the other gets spliced into a wire from the coil. It can be installed in less than 10 minutes.

AtvMxRider
08-06-2002, 07:49 PM
Yes there is a difference. I have one made by emgo and it is live the one from maier. I don't like it very much it is cheaply designed. I think the next I get will be a pro design.

Punk13rym
08-06-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by RytM1
The Pro Design switch installs the same way. One wire to a ground point, and the other gets spliced into a wire from the coil. It can be installed in less than 10 minutes.

i know i have instally a pro design killswitch before. you still have to cut a wire to install it. not the ground wire but the longer wire. the gunnar took maybe 3 mins to install. you don't have to take off any of the plastic to install it eather. (because you have to get to the rev box).

RytM1
08-06-2002, 09:00 PM
By "rev box", are you referring to the coil?

I did have to remove the left side panel, just to make it easier to access the coil behind it. The only wire I cut on mine was the long wire on the kill switch, just so I didn't have to worry about hiding all the slack. There was no need to cut any other wires. All I did, at the advice of members of this site, was used a crimp-style wire splice. Then taped it up to seal it. Have had it that way for months, through mud, water, dirt, you name it, and no problems.

YLW400
08-06-2002, 09:44 PM
OK, here's one, I seem to always hit my kill switch on my 400, what can I do to prevent that? I always do it at a bad time, like in the middle of goofing around
'

Punk13rym
08-07-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by RytM1
By "rev box", are you referring to the coil?

I did have to remove the left side panel, just to make it easier to access the coil behind it. The only wire I cut on mine was the long wire on the kill switch, just so I didn't have to worry about hiding all the slack. There was no need to cut any other wires. All I did, at the advice of members of this site, was used a crimp-style wire splice. Then taped it up to seal it. Have had it that way for months, through mud, water, dirt, you name it, and no problems.

this is the way i did it to my friends 400ex. i guess you could use the wire near the coil.
this is the way they did it. but i didn't use that blue thing.