PDA

View Full Version : Setting up 400ex for MX racing

AtvMxRider
08-04-2002, 01:19 PM
I just bought a new 400ex yesterday and I was wondering what to get to set it up fo mx. I ordered nerf bars, a kill switch, k+n filter and a 14 tooth sprocket. What else do I need to do? This is My first Honda and also my first 4 stroke I'm used to riding a Yamaha Blaster so this is a BIG difference. I love it.:D

yellow400
08-04-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by atvrider96
I just bought a new 400ex yesterday and I was wondering what to get to set it up fo mx. I ordered nerf bars, a kill switch, k+n filter and a 14 tooth sprocket. What else do I need to do? This is My first Honda and also my first 4 stroke I'm used to riding a Yamaha Blaster so this is a BIG difference. I love it.:D

If you are really thinking about hitting big jumps you might want to think about new shocks, Longer a arms, and axle. ALso for power a pipe will help. And what kind of kill switch and nerf bars did you order??

AtvMxRider
08-04-2002, 01:28 PM
I order A/c alloy nerfs the kill switch I already had it is made by emigo but I'm going to get a pro design in a few weeks.

yellow400
08-04-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by atvrider96
I order A/c alloy nerfs the kill switch I already had it is made by emigo but I'm going to get a pro design in a few weeks.

Why are u going to get a pro design?? Doesn't the other one work good or what? Casue i was thinking about getting one

AtvMxRider
08-04-2002, 01:35 PM
It works it is just cheaply made. It takes a little bit to get it seated properly. I'm also thinking of of race cutting my front fenders but I can't bring myself to do it.

08-05-2002, 07:50 AM
just read my sig to get an idea of how to setup a 400ex for MX racing..

08-05-2002, 12:00 PM
for right now man you should just concentrate on chassis mods cause as it is the power for you is mroe than enough . trust me i got chassis mods like +2 jd perfomance a arms, offset itp rims with Holeshots 19 inch MX front. and Wroks triple rate suspension with ressies and then i got ITP holeshot MX 18x8x11 mopunted on race reinforced itp rims and the thing handles SOOO MUCH BETTER!!! and my motor is completly stock and in my last race i bet 2 Moto 440s and a few other cannibals. The way i setup my quad in the order im doing it im liking it so much better! i would go any other order.

fourwhls
08-05-2002, 12:46 PM
I will have to agree with NTP. Definitely work on the suspension before you even touch the motor. Get the bike to the regulation 50in width, with some descent shocks. If you plan on doing recreational racing, the works will work. If you plan on doing some serious racing, buy some good shocks. Make sure you get zero preload. Zero preload will lower your ride height significantly, therefore improving the handling.
Look into some good tires. The hot set ups are 19 or 20 holeshot mx or grooved radials up front and 18 holeshot mx or turf tamers in the rear. I would recommend splurging and getting beadlocks, at least in the rear.
I would switch your front sprocket back to the stock 15 tooth. The 14 will give you more top end, but you loose bottom end and you need more bottom end on a mx track.
Cutting the fenders is just a personal preference. I couldn't bring myself to cut my fenders last season. I finally gave in a cut them this year. I am not placing any better because the fenders are cut.

I wish I could say that I went this route when building my bike. I went completely backwards. I built the fastest bike on the track. I could outrun most anybody on the track as long as we where going straight and there were no obstacles. I sunk all the money into the motor, even thought I was told not to many of times.

Do it how you wish, it's your bike. You can learn from our mistakes or learn from your own.

400exRacerX
08-05-2002, 12:46 PM
Check out my sig

AtvMxRider
08-05-2002, 03:31 PM
Thanks Guys I think the next thing i will get is a set of shocks. i really don't want to do alot to the motor other than a new muffler I want to keep the reliablity. As for shocks are Works Triple rates w/out rezzies any good or should I get rezzies. I don't really care if I go out there and finish first or last I'm just out there to have fun.(And not get hurt)

08-05-2002, 03:37 PM
get with the rezzies! it keeps the oils or whatever they use in those shocks, it keeps them cooler!!!

DEAL
08-05-2002, 03:53 PM
just run what you have for the first few races and if you like it keep goin with it.

08-05-2002, 04:02 PM
you know what after i got my works tripple rates with rezis, i gto on my buddys stock 400ex and i hated it!!!! it bounced around like crazy!! i went thro whoops and the front end was up and down up and down! so bad! The works tripple rates are really plush and offer an inch more of travel. i havent bottemed them out yet!

dawzie
08-05-2002, 08:13 PM
You should think about getting guset work done on the frame this winter.

Here's a list of what you should do, but like the other guys said, do what you want, but we all been there done that.

K&N filter with outerwears, remove air box lid, GOOD pipe, jet kit

beadlock rears with tamers or what ever 18". We did alot of testing and found razr's to be the best

good front rims with 20" what ever. We run holeshots. In testing we found the radials transmitted to much of what they where hitting up the steering stem to the bars

Watch your tire presure at EVERY moto. We run 6 psi on sandy tracks and 8 on the rest. Check psi OFTEN. One pound differance in a tire can make you jump off camber and wheelie to one side.

Next should be shocks we went with Pep's ZPS
Next is a-arms If you went with shocks already you can only go with plus 2 a-arms. Plus 3 make a big differance but then you need long travel shocks.

A +4 axel set at +2 if you have +2 a-arms or stock. DO NOT buy a Dura Blue axel IT WILL BREAK Get a RPM or Lonestar.

Check your swing arm for cracks after every moto. We went through one about every ten races. Once we got a after market one, no more problems. We got a +1 arm.

Check your frame carefully after every race. Ours started cracking after about 15 races. Get it gusetted asap.

Stainless steel brake lines, new bars (tag 2's), anti-vibe steering stem I know Im forgetting something but you get my drift here

Once you get out of novice and into amature you will need more motor. DONT be cheap here, Save untill you can do the BEST first. We didnt and it cost us twice as much in the end. We ended up with a 440 stroker from TMM which was AWSOME !! Still have it as a back-up.

My son got into expert this season. In our district they let you run anything. Thats why we put a Yamaha YZF 426 motor in ours !!

Knowing what we know now and if money wasn't a problem, CANNONDALE is the way to go. They are as fast as our YZF on the MX track.

We are now building a Yamaha WR450 electric start !!

Good luck ohhhhhh by the way I have seen a bone stock EX ridden by a pro 250 bike rider WIN in expert class !!!!
the frame was broke and so was he but it did win

Pappy
06-23-2003, 02:39 PM
maybe think of getting an axle:devil:

AtvMxRider
06-23-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
maybe think of getting an axle:devil:

:D Good idea.

QuadJunkies
06-23-2003, 04:17 PM
;) better late than never............right???:p

roostin_dale
06-24-2003, 05:08 AM
way to think pappy...lmao:D

Nausty
06-24-2003, 06:35 AM
get the stuff you mentioned like tether, nerfs, bars, cut fenders, then you really need some good shocks for mx and if you plan on doing big jumps you really need to do some reliability stuff. Like i'm seeing stress marks all over the frame and i trashed my dads bearings, carrier and pivot bolt in a couple weeks. Also my other rear end is way worse with a bent axle, broken carrier, trashed bearings, bent pivot bolt and the swing arm was most likely on its las leg. So i'd save money for a new rear end after you do the first stuff I mentioned.

Then after all that i'd go with stuff like K&n, exhaust, jetting, choke mod, no air box lid in races, and finally a race set of tires of and rims and you will be set for b class.