PDA

View Full Version : 10% ethanol?

unregisterd
04-29-2006, 07:57 AM
today when i went to get gas for my 400 it said all gas contains 10% ethanol by valume. i got 93 so will this be bad for my quad if i have high comp. piston 11:1?

thanks

Chino886
04-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by unregisterd
today when i went to get gas for my 400 it said all gas contains 10% ethanol by valume. i got 93 so will this be bad for my quad if i have high comp. piston 11:1?

thanks

You will be fine, ethanol is a type of fuel made from corn I believe.

IanCFitz
04-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
You will be fine, ethanol is a type of fuel made from corn I believe.

You believe?

I guess you haven't watched much TV lately. Chevrolet has been advertising the hell outta that E85 ethanol crap...

I'm not trying to be an ***** I'm just getting a bit tired of the "GO YELLOW" commercial campaign.

atvracer980
04-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Anything over 10:1 compression should run nothing less than 94 octane to keep from getting pre-detonation. I run a blend of 89 octane and VP or Klotz 110 octane- I use 2 gallons of 110 and 3 gallons of 89 which gives me around 97 octane and spend less money on the 110 gas.

Chino886
05-01-2006, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by atvracer980
Anything over 10:1 compression should run nothing less than 94 octane to keep from getting pre-detonation. I run a blend of 89 octane and VP or Klotz 110 octane- I use 2 gallons of 110 and 3 gallons of 89 which gives me around 97 octane and spend less money on the 110 gas.

I do the same thing, I mix my gas!

WOWA450RRRR
05-01-2006, 06:31 AM
the way v p gets an octane rating and the way your local gas company does are to different formulas.if v p did it the same way as the local gas company then they would have an even higher rating than they do...
so mixing your own fuel is not really recommended . as your really unsure of the final out come..and with higher compression pistons it is very important to have it right. unless your a professional in this field.. if so sorry for the post.

GPracer2500
05-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by WOWA450RRRR
the way v p gets an octane rating and the way your local gas company does are to different formulas.if v p did it the same way as the local gas company then they would have an even higher rating than they do...
so mixing your own fuel is not really recommended . as your really unsure of the final out come..and with higher compression pistons it is very important to have it right. unless your a professional in this field.. if so sorry for the post.

You are right about the different octane rating methods. It's good to remind folks of that fact.

There are two types of octane measurement: Research Octane Number and Motor Octane Number. RON is commonly used around the world and is always a higher number than MON. MON is measured using a different testing protocal and more accurately describes a fuels behavior under high loads (that's what we really want to know).

The gas you buy at the pump is rated using the average of the RON and MON (R+M/2). This is called the Pump Octane Number or Anti-Knock Index (AKI).

VP rates most of thier fuel using MON. Koltz uses R+M/2--same meathod as the gas pump. Anytime you're mixing fuels and trying to work out the final octane rating for the mix, make sure the figures you use are the same type. You can't average MON with R+M/2 and end up with an accurate octane number.

The good thing is that as since MON is always going to be a smaller number than the RON or R+M/2 numbers for the same fuel, it's hard to overestimate the octane rating of a mix when one of the fuels is measured in MON (like with VP).

quad2xtreme
05-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
You are right about the different octane rating methods. It's good to remind folks of that fact.

There are two types of octane measurement: Research Octane Number and Motor Octane Number. RON is commonly used around the world and is always a higher number than MON. MON is measured using a different testing protocal and more accurately describes a fuels behavior under high loads (that's what we really want to know).

The gas you buy at the pump is rated using the average of the RON and MON (R+M/2). This is called the Pump Octane Number or Anti-Knock Index (AKI).

VP rates most of thier fuel using MON. Koltz uses R+M/2--same meathod as the gas pump. Anytime you're mixing fuels and trying to work out the final octane rating for the mix, make sure the figures you use are the same type. You can't average MON with R+M/2 and end up with an accurate octane number.

The good thing is that as since MON is always going to be a smaller number than the RON or R+M/2 numbers for the same fuel, it's hard to overestimate the octane rating of a mix when one of the fuels is measured in RON (like with VP).

Can you edit your quote? You contradict yourself saying VP uses MON and then later RON. Which is it?

GPracer2500
05-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Can you edit your quote? You contradict yourself saying VP uses MON and then later RON. Which is it?

Woops...fixed it. VP measures with MON for the majority of their fuels. The do use both R+M/2 and MON for their StreetBlaze line of fuels and a few other non-leaded fuels.

thanks for the good eye!