PDA

View Full Version : WHEEL STUDS JUST SPINNING IN THE HUBS

SLB400EX
07-29-2001, 04:59 PM
Help.
Went to take of the rear tires on the '99 400ex....the lug nut stud on the rear hub is stripped at the hub. Tried to take off the darn lug nut and the whole stud turns. Tried vice gripes on the back side of the wheel stud but can't get enough of a hold on it to get the lug nut off. We think the Honda shop used an air wrench and got the lug nuts too tight.
Anyone else had this prolem?
Any advise?
When we do get the tire off, what would be the fix? To get new studs or new hubs?
Thanks...
Sher

4punksdad
07-29-2001, 05:08 PM
sher,
if it is just one stud, I would try to replace it first. a new stud might grab on the inside of the hub and it would be a cheap fix.

I doubt an air wrench would cause this. the threads would strip before the splines on the stud. most likely they didn't have the splines lined up correctly at the factory. I use an air wrench to install my lug nuts all of the time.

SLB400EX
07-29-2001, 05:14 PM
Thanks 3punksdad.
There is at least one stud on each side that is like this. Rob got real p!ssed and we gave up...We were in the process of polishing his rims.
Do you have any advise on getting the studs out?????????
Thanks again..

NVR2L8
07-29-2001, 06:09 PM
I've seen this before... I used to ride with a guy who wrenched on his lug nuts with an air wrench/impact gun, and the very next time he went to pull the stock tires to swap over to sand tires, he found that at least one stud on each hub was stripped. To get the lug nuts off he had to remove all four hubs with the wheels and tires attached, and have a local welding shop cut the back end of the stud off using a plasma torch. If I remember correctly only one new stud out of five or six fit in right afterwards, so the shop tack welded the others in place. All in all they looked and worked okay afterwards, but he was left with studs he couldn't ever replace again, as well as some mushroomed lug nut seats on the stock wheels. I'm sure that air wrenching the nuts is perfectly okay though...just make sure you're not over-torquing them past 50 ft lbs or so.

You might also check into a "nutcracker". The ones I've used in the past basically fit over the nut, and then you turn the piece that cuts through the nut with an allen wrench. Looking at how much room you have to work with, you might be able to use one. Once you get it off you should be able to drive the stud out. Good luck!

SLB400EX
07-29-2001, 06:34 PM
NVR2L8..thanks.
We are going to try the vice grips one more time and if that doesn't work, Rob is going to tack weld a nut on the back side of the stud so we can get a wrench on it and loosen the lug nut.
Do you guys think it will work??
Keep your fingers crossed...
Thanks again..
Sher and Rob

NVR2L8
07-29-2001, 09:14 PM
That's a good idea...wish I had thought of that! Yea, I think it would work real well.

4punksdad
07-30-2001, 04:41 AM
tacking a nut to the stud is the way to do it. see..........you didn't need our help after all........rob has it under control. :)

08-04-2001, 06:14 PM
i haven't been a member long, but i do enjoy everyone being able to write back to each other and give advice.
not long ago a few of us went riding and the same thing happened to my friends hub. only one of his studs turned as we tried getting the nut off. didn't really know what to do, so we tried vice grips and it took a little while but we got it. we had a ratchet with a small (cheater) pipe on it, and we just made some hard quick licks with the ratchet and it come one off. it was at night so we just stuck his stock tires on it and hoped for the best later. he told me a couple of days ago that it hasn't given him any more trouble and he's changed his tires a few times since.
well good luck with your studs.
warren

canadian400ex
08-19-2001, 06:23 PM
Same thing happened to me. I just heated the back of the stud with a torch. It came right off. Before you go taking the hubs off and cutting the stud, try heating it.