PDA

View Full Version : 450r Starting Problems

RideRed
04-28-2006, 11:14 AM
A friend of mine is having trouble with the electric start on his new 450. When he tries to start it it will sometimes make a clicking noise which sounds like a battery problem. But, if you let off the button and push it again it may start fine (or it will click again and you will have to let off the button). Eventually it will start but it really sux for dead engine start races. We have checked everything electrical and it is all good and tight. The bike will start in neutral fine almost everytime. This lead us to believe it may be a clutch issue but we have adjusted te clutch on the handlebar and on the engine and it didn't help. He has talked to a few people at races that have said that they have starting issues as well. I figured I would post it here and get some ideas before he takes it back to the dealership.

GPracer2500
04-28-2006, 12:17 PM
I've seen similar on YFZs too. I suspect it has a lot to do with the tiny starters (on the YFZ anyway) and high compression engines. At certain points in the piston's stroke it's just hard to spin because of compression and the angle of the rod relative to the crank.

Maybe keeping battery on a tender (so it's always 100%) would help [shrug]?

Dale Szydlowski
04-30-2006, 06:57 AM
even new stuff can be bad take back to dealer sounds like bad start selinoid try the screw driver test jump the noid a few times it if it starts fine that way than it is the noid take it back my leg never clicks