PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something??

bad01300ex
04-27-2006, 11:57 PM
My 00 Lsr frame doesnt have a. the motor mounts above the swinger, or b. the top motor mount, and my pro design cool head doesnt even have a spot for it

im confused, should i have these mounts??

bad01300ex
04-27-2006, 11:58 PM
motor

250R-Dee
04-28-2006, 04:32 AM
You'll be OK without the rear upper mount connected. Many aftermarket frames like my Arens frame do not have an upper rear mount. At least the LSR frame still has the crossbar for extra support.

If you want to use the headstay mount you will need to buy a new Coolhead with a headstay mount and sell your current head.

bad01300ex
04-28-2006, 05:33 PM
well i dont even have a headstay mount....

is that a problem??

TheFontMaster
04-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by bad01300ex

is that a problem??

Your fine with out the head stay mounts.

Rich250RRacer
04-28-2006, 07:53 PM

is that a problem??

Yes you do. On older Lonestar chassis' like yours, the tank and head stay bolt in the same place (through the tank bracket, through the chassis tube, then threaded into the stay itself). Your problem is that you NEED a head stay from Lonestar. The stock piece does not work on their chassis. And I MIGHT have one, I'll have to look in my boxes of parts.

bad01300ex
04-28-2006, 09:14 PM
ok, that would be great if you got one, let me know

also, if i NEED the head stay, then how come pro design has a head that doesnt even have a spot for it??

250R-Dee
04-28-2006, 09:39 PM
That's because you can purchase the Coolhead with or without the headstay mount. Look closely at the pic of my frame. The bolts for the headstay mount are also used to connect the tank to the frame.

The need for a headstay is a debate that has been around for many years but you are better off running one in the longrun. If you are mechanically inclined you make one for your frame with ease. If you aren't you will need to have someone make one for you or order a headstay from LSR.

TheFontMaster
04-28-2006, 10:17 PM
I am running a stock 89 frame, so unless Rich knows something about the LSR frames and that they really need them, I still say you don't need a head stay. I have a headstay on mine, but I don't bolt it to the head. After reading up on some stuff that is what I felt was the best set up for me.

250R-Dee
04-28-2006, 10:45 PM
TheFontMaster - but you also have an upper rear mount connected whereas this LSR frame does not. Most people who do not use a headstay have an upper rear mount and vice versa.

TheFontMaster
04-28-2006, 11:04 PM
He also has another mount on the rear right in front of where the linkage mount would be. If I'm not mistaken that makes up for that other mount that you would need right.

250R-Dee
04-29-2006, 12:51 AM
His LSR frame has all of the lower mounts plus the headstay mount that is LSR specific. If he decides to not use the headstay mount he will not have any upper mounts on the motor. This is why I said he needs to either make a headstay mount or buy one from LSR.

Tom TRX250R
04-29-2006, 01:06 AM
You should run a headstay in the motor. I have ran both Cool Head's with headstay mounts and without and the vibration is absorbed better with the headstay. If you are doing any type of hard riding like MX or dune jumping then definately run the headstay. The engine was designed for this mount to keep the frame rigid at that point so it doesn't weaken it. Unless you are doing strictly drag racing, I would not recommend running without a headstay.

bad01300ex
04-29-2006, 10:23 AM
:huh well anyone know how much a headstay mount would run from LSR

also anyone have a cool head with the mount

cuase ima be ridin mx

Rich250RRacer
04-30-2006, 08:33 PM
I do have a stay, but you will need to get a head on that motor that accepts one first. When you do, I will need a measurement from the center of the hole on the frame to the center of the hole on the head. I don't think Lonestar will tell you this, but they changed manufacturing specs repeatedly from 2000 to at least '03, and not all LSR headstays work on all LSR frames. The extra stay that I have is from a 2000, and it will not work on either if my Lonestar frames. In fact my '01 and '03 will not interchange with each other either.

Rich250RRacer
04-30-2006, 08:40 PM
One more thing. Are you sure your chassis is a 2000? Judging from the motor mounts, it looks to be newer. My older chassis uses a Z-bar for the front motor mount. My '03 uses mounts like yours.

bad01300ex
04-30-2006, 09:06 PM
well not acctually, heres the story

i found it on here, you may have seen it in the for sale section

it was listed as a "04 Lsr rolling chassis" and also it was one of "keith little's last 250r race quads" now if it was an 04 chassis, i dont see how it was keith's seing as he was on a YFZ, and before that a crf hybrid

anyways, when i picked it up the guy said it was either an 03 or 04 and did used to one of keith's practice bikes (he knew keith, i almost got to meet him)

ANYways, when i got it home, i found out how to read the serial number and determine the year aka LSR03 ect....

well my number is VERY hard to make out, and i THINK it says LSR00 which would make since if it was keith littles 2 stroke. Also the a arms are an older style LSR, not the DC-4s

So really who knows, 03? 04? 00???

Rich250RRacer
05-01-2006, 03:13 PM
well not acctually, heres the story

i found it on here, you may have seen it in the for sale section

it was listed as a "04 Lsr rolling chassis" and also it was one of "keith little's last 250r race quads" now if it was an 04 chassis, i dont see how it was keith's seing as he was on a YFZ, and before that a crf hybrid

anyways, when i picked it up the guy said it was either an 03 or 04 and did used to one of keith's practice bikes (he knew keith, i almost got to meet him)

ANYways, when i got it home, i found out how to read the serial number and determine the year aka LSR03 ect....

well my number is VERY hard to make out, and i THINK it says LSR00 which would make since if it was keith littles 2 stroke. Also the a arms are an older style LSR, not the DC-4s

So really who knows, 03? 04? 00???

This should make getting a replacement stay VERY interesting.:huh

bad01300ex
05-01-2006, 03:20 PM
lol, i cant wait