PDA

View Full Version : '87 out of storage!

latheboy
04-27-2006, 09:02 PM
I just bought an '87 banshee that has been in storage for a few years. All the fluids were drained during storage. I will be cleaning the carbs as a precaution before I even try to get it fired up. It is all stock except for no airbox, just K&N's with outerwears. Stock pipes. What jets should I expect to find in this machine.? I think we are around 1k ft above sea level here. I am more of a Honda guy, but it for $500, why not?? lol Thanks

latheboy
04-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Here is a pic of it.

enquadrider16
04-27-2006, 10:57 PM
wow! make sure u have fluids in that thing before its started up. also test the compression. but looks like a good buy, too bad it has j-arms but for 500 i'd take it.

EvilEwok
04-27-2006, 11:29 PM
WOW, that thing is beautiful. I'm not positive, but I don't think yamaha sold this with a blue fade to white PC'd frame? That's a very nice touch with the white plastics, just get a new seat and some different wheels lol. Those rears look like they might crumble.

latheboy
04-28-2006, 04:13 AM
Are those the arms that they came with? Whats the gas mixing ratio?

killen them all
04-30-2006, 06:54 PM
good buy looks like you have a 2 tone frome

97blaster200
04-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by killen them all
good buy looks like you have a 2 tone frome

well arent you a quick one!:rolleyes:

nice buy man...good luck to a fellow banshee owner:D

latheboy
05-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Ok, I am starting to dig into this thing. I have found that I need a lot of small parts, no big deal. Ebay is my freind. I also noted that it has 35 pilot jets and 200 mains installed. Does this sound ok for this setup: Bored .040, unknown compression ratio, stock pipes/silencers, and K&N air filers.

I believe my area is around 1k ft above sea lvl.

EvilEwok
05-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey man, I was wondering since I can't get any hard information in my thread I'd go ahead and ask someone that owns a j-arm banshee. What exactly is wrong with j-arms? Are they not as rigid, don't maneuver as well? What? Any information that you can give will be appreciated because I am considering buying some nice pre 90' banshee's and I want to know what to expect before I put some cash on the table. Thank you!

toyota200x
05-06-2006, 06:02 PM
I don't know to much about j-arms but I think they weren't as strong.

youngbansheeman
05-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Cool Bike!It depens for what you are going to used the bike for if it is going to be for drags J arms is better!If it going to be for jumping A arm is better!They should sell the adapter so you can make it a A arm!

latheboy
05-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Well, this banshee is a project! These are the parts that are already replaced, or will be replaced soon: intake boots, used carbs, ignition switch, wiring harness, chain, seat cover, flywheel, +4 advance key, handlebars, all tires and rims, gasket set, bolt kit, thumb throttle, 1 front brake caliper. Hope the list doesnt grow any more! Ill post pics when iots done in a week or so. This bike had a broken key on the flywheel, and NO gasket in the right side cover, allowing coolant in the oil. Thankfully, I am sure the key broke before any damage was done. Probably didnt even get the top end broke in. The cyliners and pistons are great, like new. Not even any carbon on them. She will ride again!

enquadrider16
05-07-2006, 08:12 PM
shoulda got a twist throttle :D

bradley300
05-12-2006, 08:47 AM
the a-arm conversion requires som frame welding, and with that nice looking frame, i would just hold off on it until the frame needs replaced, if it does

i think the comp. ratio should be 130, no less with stock pistons.