PDA

View Full Version : 05 changes?

matthoyda
04-27-2006, 08:19 PM
what all has been changed on the 05 besides reverse and new plastic? Do they have any changes to make them perform any better? and also what is the best mod to do a completly stock 400ex when riding in the woods?

miller821
04-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Ya obviously the plastic and the added reverse, as you stated above... But also stock it comes with a 14 tooth front sprocket were as 99-04 it was a 15 tooth... Umm, the tranny was changed a little bit, obviously to accompany the reverse... Other than that I can't think of anything different...

But as mods, if its bone stock I would first go with a pipe and filter to open it up a bit and let it breathe better... Suspension is always good, but can be costly... I would buy a Parking Brake block off first thing, or remove the parking brake all the way... Nerfs are pretty helpful...

GPracer2500
04-27-2006, 08:36 PM
The carb is a little different--but not much. I think the venturi is now oval instead of round. And the jet needle is non-adjustable (unless you shim it). Really, the carb changes aren't of much consequence.

The 05'/06' also got a brake light switch.

JOEX
04-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
The carb is a little different--but not much. I think the venturi is now oval instead of round. And the jet needle is non-adjustable (unless you shim it). Really, the carb changes aren't of much consequence.

There's been alot of mystery around the carb measurment on the newer models. I have yet to see some real facts on this.

One report I had heard and have been leaning to is all the carbs are oval bore but the earlier models measurement is an average of the two demensions and the newer models use the larger measurement.

Do you have any more info on this?

JOEX
04-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Also, the sprocket gearing is different. Not sure about the internal gearing:ermm:

miller821
04-27-2006, 08:53 PM

Hmm... Haven't heard anything about the carb being different... But I hate how when I put on the brakes it doesn't show that I did.

Edit: You ever think they might go to EFI?

GPracer2500
04-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
There's been alot of mystery around the carb measurment on the newer models. I have yet to see some real facts on this.

One report I had heard and have been leaning to is all the carbs are oval bore but the earlier models measurement is an average of the two demensions and the newer models use the larger measurement.

Do you have any more info on this?

Actually no, I don't. Your thought seems like it might be right though.

Now that I'm looking more closely, aside from the needle there are a bunch of other parts on the carb that are different. By "different" I mean they carry different OEM part numbers than the 99-04 carb. The floats, float bowl, float valve, float bowl gasket, pilot screw, slide armature, accelerater pump diaphram, and throttle stop screw (only diff. for 06') all have different part numbers than a 99-04 carb. And of course, the complete carb assemblies themselves have different part numbers.

I believe that all those small changes had everthing to do with reducing emissions. For example, the new pilot screw has the "D" slot end rather than a normal screwdriver end. AFAIK, that's the only difference in the screw and it was changed to deter its adjustment. It seems as though they just went through the carb and "massaged" it to make it more EPA friendly.

Things that suggest the carb bodies are identical: the slide is the same part number and so is the choke. It seems like a different shape venturi might require a different shape & size slide and choke [shrug].

Yeah, I bet your right--until someone can look at both carbs side by side I'm inclined to think the venturi size has not changed.

As pointed out above, there are some differences in the two carbs though--but none of them are too significant.

JOEX
04-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Actually no, I don't. Your thought seems like it might be right though.

Now that I'm looking more closely, aside from the needle there are a bunch of other parts on the carb that are different. By "different" I mean they carry different OEM part numbers than the 99-04 carb. The floats, float bowl, float valve, float bowl gasket, pilot screw, slide armature, accelerater pump diaphram, and throttle stop screw (only diff. for 06') all have different part numbers than a 99-04 carb. And of course, the complete carb assemblies themselves have different part numbers.

I believe that all those small changes had everthing to do with reducing emissions. For example, the new pilot screw has the "D" slot end rather than a normal screwdriver end. AFAIK, that's the only difference in the screw and it was changed to deter its adjustment. It seems as though they just went through the carb and "massaged" it to make it more EPA friendly.

Things that suggest the carb bodies are identical: the slide is the same part number and so is the choke. It seems like a different shape venturi might require a different shape & size slide and choke [shrug].

Yeah, I bet your right--until someone can look at both carbs side by side I'm inclined to think the venturi size has not changed.

As pointed out above, there are some differences in the two carbs though--but none of them are too significant.
Above info noted;) Thanks:)

I don't remember who originally posted the info I passed along in this thread. One thing that kinda wonders me though, is skewing the numbers something Honda would do?:ermm:

ride_red666
04-27-2006, 10:14 PM
skids and a good set of tires

pit/wood
04-28-2006, 06:39 AM
They changed the center case gasket also,I think because of the reverse system the case breather tube has been relocated.
I have both a 04 and 05 carbs not installed so I will take a look at them side by side and edit this post with my observations.

NacsMXer
04-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Also, the sprocket gearing is different. Not sure about the internal gearing:ermm:

I heard they changed the transmission gear ratios as well.

coryatver
04-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by ride_red666
skids and a good set of tires

haha read the question

JOEX
04-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I heard they changed the transmission gear ratios as well.
I've heard that as well but haven't seen any documentation yet.

pit/wood, post a new reply rather than editing your post so I get a reply notification:)

fordpowerfred
04-29-2006, 07:03 AM

For example, the new pilot screw has the "D" slot end rather than a normal screwdriver end.

Is this screw interchangeable with the earlier screw or is there an alternative means of adjusting this "D" slot screw without having to resort to buying a $110+ screwdriver?

NCexRider
04-29-2006, 08:01 AM
The adjustment tool come free with a Dynojet jet kit.;)

jeremy_283
04-29-2006, 09:59 AM
i didnt read all the posts yet so someone may have said a few of these already.......... brake capilar position on swingarm,carb is bigger,reverse :) "duh" , some case savers wont work on the 05's unless u cut them down cuz the reverse switch on the engine case gets in the way.... i cut mine down to fit

sixer3
04-29-2006, 01:02 PM
stock sprockets on my 05 400ex are a 14/39 not 14/38, and also the carb needle only has one slot, also i think to help discourage jetting on account of emissions, and the stator side cover of the engine is now spereated into 2 pieces instead of one, kinf od a pain if you ask me....and i too have heard of the transmission ratios being different but want a confirmation

400excaleb
04-29-2006, 09:02 PM
the 1st-5th gear ratios are different also, or it has more power than 99-04 cause with a 13t front sprocket on my 05 it still has more top end than the older ones. its also about 20 lbs more heavy. frame is lighter in color, and i think the axles have different part numbers. (not for sure, just heard)