PDA

View Full Version : Car stereo ?????

PismoLocal
04-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Here is a question for all the car stereo guys...

Ok i have two tens each is supposed to have .5 cubic feet of airspace in sealed box so can i make a box that has 1 cubic foot of airspace for both of them or do i have to make the box have 2 sections one for each sub?

fandl450r
04-27-2006, 03:25 PM
As long as the combined airspace is equivalent to what each would need I think you should be fine.

PismoLocal
04-27-2006, 03:48 PM
ok good because i already made the box and it doesn't sound like i thought it would but the box isn't completely air tight yet.

enduro400rider
04-27-2006, 03:51 PM
in alot of the boxes i have seen (mine included) it would be one box. with a devider, in your case it would be one box with 1 cubic foot of air, with a peice deviding it into 2 equal sections.

PismoLocal
04-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Ya pretty much every box for 2 subs i have seen is like that but i forgot about the little divider thing and made the box. right now i have 2 holes in the back just big enought to fit wire through and i think that might be why it sounds off. It doesnt seem like the the hole would be big enought to make a difference though. after i get off work im goin to radio shack to buy terminals for the box so ill see if that is my prob.

quadrcr161
04-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
Ya pretty much every box for 2 subs i have seen is like that but i forgot about the little divider thing and made the box. right now i have 2 holes in the back just big enought to fit wire through and i think that might be why it sounds off. It doesnt seem like the the hole would be big enought to make a difference though. after i get off work im goin to radio shack to buy terminals for the box so ill see if that is my prob.

thats your problem, you can either take and chaulk it up to seal it or use the terminals, a brace will also help the box stay rigid and perform better, if it is flexing it wont sound right either. before you finish it pick up some silicone and run across every seam inside to help seal it.

PismoLocal
04-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
thats your problem, you can either take and chaulk it up to seal it or use the terminals, a brace will also help the box stay rigid and perform better, if it is flexing it wont sound right either. before you finish it pick up some silicone and run across every seam inside to help seal it.

All of the seams are covered in silicone already, I laid a fat bead of silicone on every edge and then screwed the pieces together. Everything is airtight except for th 2 tiny holes that the wires are running through right now and the box is about half full with fiberglass insulation. i just need to know if i need a divider in the box or not.

PismoLocal
04-27-2006, 04:14 PM
I built a box for 2 12's that i had in my tahoe and i used a divider but i forgot about it on this one.

Hoppedrap
04-27-2006, 04:20 PM
If they are sharing the same air space, the need to be wired in parallel

PismoLocal
04-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Hoppedrap
If they are sharing the same air space, the need to be wired in parallel

That is my problem then because I'm running a 4 ohm amp and i wired each sub series to match to dual 2ohm voice coils.

PismoLocal
04-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Looks like im going to have to build a new box. :confused:

PismoLocal
04-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Any one else have any suggestions?

i30nes
04-27-2006, 05:07 PM
You would be better off to add a divider to your box. Like they said it would help strengthen the box plus make it sound better.

Rdhanded2
04-28-2006, 07:28 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly, they will sound like crap without a divider.

red2004 TRX450R
04-28-2006, 11:12 AM
what subs are you running , what amp are you running. how do you have the subs wired???
what vechile are they in?
what kind of music do you listen to.

then i can answer the question.
but a divider will not make that much difference unless the box flexed!!!

if you put poly fill (fiberglass?) it will make the box act bigger.

the subs take up air space in the box so you are less than 1 ft.

04-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Im going to put a gnarly gangster stereo in my quads, wif like 2 24's subs, and some tweeters, and some woofers, and it will play CD's ONLY. no ghetto tapes from da gutter, cuase im a striahgt up ballin daddy. mack dadddy ddaaddymaCK.

EDIT QJ~~ Watch the profanity!
BETTA RECOGNIZE. yo!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$

<DRS>GPF
04-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
Any one else have any suggestions?

in what little ive read in the earlier posts, i didnt see where youve ported the box..

just sealing up the box without allowing for some air movement isnt always the best approach.. especially if your after some serious "thump"..

there more science to it than just gluing 6pcs of wood together..
the type of wood, size of the box, the size of the port, internal damping materials, the airspace itll be used in, etc. all add to the performance of the speaker..

improperly tuned, youll just trash out your speakers attempting to get more sound than theyre capable of..

lots of links are available on the web:

http://www.ishtek.com/spkr_basics.htm

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/loudspeakers/DIYspeakers.php

http://www.ajdesigner.com/speaker/index.php

rbgnwa45
04-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by the gangsta
Im going to put a gnarly gangster stereo in my quads, wif like 2 24's subs, and some tweeters, and some woofers, and it will play CD's ONLY. no ghetto tapes from da gutter, cuase im a striahgt up ballin daddy. mack dadddy ddaaddymaCK. and i will get so many trick ***** ***** ***** slutz

BETTA RECOGNIZE. yo!

I wanna have a gangsta stereo in my ______ whatever I'll eventually be driving, but 24" woofers are even more impractical than 18" woofers. 18"s woofers need 7-8 cubic feet of space (ported enclosure), and you wouldnt ever see 8 cubes in most car trunks. There's only a few 24" woofers out there (MTX jackhammer - which I think might be 22"), takes 10,000 watts but costs around $9999 AKA your left nut. My plans are to have an ascendant audio arsenal 15" woofer (class D amp giving 750 watts), ported 3.5-4 cubic feet (TCAB.com enclosure :D ), ascendant audio arco components (their 6.5" poly-mid moves 11.5mm one-way :eek2: ), in a hatchback of some kind.
http://www.ascendantaudio.com/Images/Arsenal-15-Side.jpg

What a sexy subwoofer :devil: .

insaneracin2003
04-28-2006, 12:35 PM
room might be a factor,a ported box requires a big box. in order for a sealed box to work properly,it must be completly air tight.if you think the box is not big enough,add fiber-fill to the inside of the box. definatelt put a divider in the box for strength and to seperate the speakers.

QuadJunkies
04-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by the gangsta
Im going to put a gnarly gangster stereo in my quads, wif like 2 24's subs, and some tweeters, and some woofers, and it will play CD's ONLY. no ghetto tapes from da gutter, cuase im a striahgt up ballin daddy. mack dadddy ddaaddymaCK. BETTA RECOGNIZE. yo!

BETA Recognize the PROFANITY-HOMIE :rolleyes: YO!:ermm:

04-28-2006, 01:08 PM
aint no thing but a chiken wing, big butt sittin on yo lap.

insaneracin2003
04-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
BETA Recognize the PROFANITY-HOMIE :rolleyes: YO!:ermm:
lmfao.