PDA

View Full Version : Fuel's leaking from the carb with no reason.

thame2010
04-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Hi everyone,
some weeks ago, trying to climb a steep dune, I fell off and the bike started rolling down (it did like 6 rolls) , but it suffered no damage since the sand was really soft. The only thing it got was sand everywhere.

So after the incident, I turned it on, went home, everything worked perfectly, then got home, turned it off, and noticed it was leaking fuel from the hose that takes fuel-excess out of the carb. Weird thing is that this happened to me only when I wheelie, but now it happens all the time. The only solution for this has been closing the fuel valve to "off" after every ride, and during the stops I make, besides the waste of time, it's a waste of fuel :(

Then, I took the carb off, checked everything including the floater and cleaned it. Nothing looked wrong on the carb.
Then I just put it back in hoping things get back to normal. But guess what? It kept on leaking fuel :confused:

Hope you can help me with this one, as you always do :D

Thanks, and sorry for my english, it's not my mother language.

bwamos
04-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Break out the service manual and make sure the float is set to the correct height. You could have easily knocked it out of adjustment.

I'd also, before doing that make sure you didn't get anything lodged in the needle valve.

Something is causing your needle valve/float to not close.

GPracer2500
04-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Sounds like maybe your float level got bumped out of wack--also check and make sure the foat didn't develop a hole. Submerg it and look for a bubble(s).

I tried to explain how to set the float level in this thread: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=226631&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Stock 400EX float level is 18.5mm.

ETA: bwamos beat me to it!

thame2010
04-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks a lot for your explanations;)

I'll check it out again and see what happens.

Greetings.

300ex_#387
04-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Isn't there a screw on those carbs that if it is loose gas will just poor out of the line? That could be it....

GPracer2500
04-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
Isn't there a screw on those carbs that if it is loose gas will just poor out of the line? That could be it....

There's a drain hose and screw (what you're talking about) and then there's an overflow hose (what I think he's talking about)--two different hoses. The overflow hose drains off excess gas when the float bowl overfills with fuel for on reason or another.