PDA

View Full Version : 250 EX starting problems

Jeffksf
04-27-2006, 10:22 AM
My buddy just got a 2005 250 EX a couple months ago, recently it started having problems starting it. Last night I went over there to see whats up. I checked for spark, it's fine. the carb is getting fuel. We tried with the choke, no choke, part choke etc. Ended up having to jump it because we ran the battery dead. It still wouldn't start. I pulled the plug a couple times, it was always dry, leading me to believe that it is not getting fuel-possible clogged carb. He was scheduled to take it in for the 20hr checkup today anyways so we'll see what the dealer says. I'm just wanting to know if this is a common issue for these?

MRJACK9
04-27-2006, 10:51 AM
I have a 2002 250Ex. From what I have read on other member posts the Ex is hard to start and takes a long time to warmup. I can also, verify these problems. My best fixes so far is to open the air screw on the carb. 2 1/2 turns from full closed, even a little more may help. Hold the choke full on while cranking. Do not depress the throttle. Crank in short burst of several seconds, until it starts. Keep the choke full on for 1 1/2 minutes. Then start decreasing the choke as you easy in some throttle over maybe two minutes or until the engine is warm enough to get in gear and takeoff. After 30 seconds of riding turn the choke clearoff and have fun. My Ex is fully stock and I have not tried a larger jet which may reduce the problem. Good Luck

MRJACK9
04-27-2006, 11:41 AM
This may also be adding to your agrivation. I found that my stock battery would not maintain a voltage level above 9 volts while cranking, even when fully charged, forcing me to jump start it, to get it running. Last year that battery died and has since been replaced with a stronger aftermarket battery (ebay special) which seems to have helped the starting problem.

On a different subject, determine what your best tire pressure is for your riding conditions. Weighing 230lb. I have found that the max. recommended is best for California Desert riding and mid rating for sand. The Dunlops to want to hookup to hard at soft pressures.