PDA

View Full Version : UMMMM........Please tell me....

aroracer72
04-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Guys,
Please tell me your breaking your machines in properly....and not jsut riding them.

You NEED to do at least two idle sessions...were you DONT FREAKIN TOUCH THE GAS and let the engine fully cool down in between.

Then you have to AT LEAST ride it under half a throttle and no lugging/load on the engine for AT LEAST 45minutes. After this change your oil, but dont put in synthetic yet...run it an hour normal/hard and THEN change the oil and throw synthetic in.

These arnt 400ex's and toys..these are serious engines and require above yahoo care and maintenence.

You cant just get it from the dealer drive it to your buddies and tear around everywhere and drive it a little nicer then you normally do and call that breaking it in...its a joke.
CHAD

Fast@$$Rider
04-27-2006, 12:29 PM
check out this website article that contradicts everything you just said http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

450r51
04-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Fast@$$Rider
check out this website article that contradicts everything you just said http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

i go by this!

ive talked to some of the engine builders in my area and they say to break it in how u ride it. if u ride it hard break it in hard, if u ride it leisurly break it in leisurly

aroracer72
04-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Yeah,
And the people you pay to build your engine tell you to break it in that way...because maybe they want repeat customers????.....lol I rebuild engines and have first hand proof...but have at it.
CHAD

Renagade
04-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by aroracer72
Yeah,
And the people you pay to build your engine tell you to break it in that way...because maybe they want repeat customers????.....lol I rebuild engines and have first hand proof...but have at it.
CHAD

Do you have a life mate. There are no wrong answers here. There are more than one way to get something done. Take a deep breath and chill. :p

Mike Jones
04-27-2006, 05:24 PM
I started it, let it idle til it was hot, railed it, changed oil and railed it again.

15hrs later...valves in perfect spec and still rips.:D

LTZ400ApK
04-27-2006, 06:13 PM
i've always broke my motors in the way I intend to ride them! Not everyone beleaves in that but my Z400,LT-R450,Yz250,Kx250,300Ex,Vinson 500,Rm125,and C-Dale All where Broke in WFO and Ran when sold or Still are Running Like a champ
When i tore my Z400 down to put a 470 kit in it The Motor Still Looked brand new internally

Just my 2cents

coryatver
04-28-2006, 09:29 AM
If you try breaking in a fresh yfz motor by just letting it Idle it will sieze! You need to rev the crap out of it to get oil up in the top end.

syckNtwisted121
04-28-2006, 01:56 PM
I have always broken in my motors very similarly, not by trying to get the most out of them, I am just to damn impatient to putt putt around doing a "break in". I fired up my LTR, did a couple laps around the yard making sure nothing leaked. Then off I went, Pounded the pizz out of it for an hr until I ran it out of gas. I have no engine whine, no shifting problems, none of these problems I hear everyone else complaining about.
In hindsight, with all the motors I have had new or rebuilt that I broke in, I can never remember having an engine failure !? Only motors I have ever had fail on me, was a "new" 250R motor I got from a certain upstate NY shop, and a loaner from someone else.

goldrims04
04-29-2006, 06:53 PM
i got mine and rode it hard since day 1 no problems just changed my oil after the first 2 hours if it breaks you can then build it better

JIMTED79
04-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Idle sessions:confused: like any part in that bike has not been heat treated at temps any bike could ever reach. Motoman all the way, I broke my 480 motor in drag racing up olds in glamis and still fires first kick every time.