PDA

View Full Version : Twist Throttle...are you running one?

adrenalinefreak
04-27-2006, 01:14 AM
We just installed my twist throttle on my 400ex and I am excited. My thumb holds me back in the races so now I should have no problem staying on the throttle...

what are your guys' opinions are?

prepracing
04-27-2006, 01:45 AM
if you have never raced with a twist throttle before then you are in for a big surprise ! Getting used to the twist and using front brakes. Also if your bar height is not right for you then your gonna end up with your entire hand hurting or cramping instead of just your thumb. BUT if you have good bar height then once you get used to it you may feel an advantage by having it.

04TRX400EX
04-27-2006, 03:07 AM
Twist throttle's are for bikes with two wheels. Are you sure you're on the right site? :rolleyes:

Just kidding. I've never thought about going to a twist. It seems that on a quad it would get you into a lot of trouble.

04-27-2006, 04:50 AM
i have one its cool

i like it alot better then thumb

redrocker
04-27-2006, 06:59 AM
Twist all the way Thats the first
thing I put on any of my Quads

adrenalinefreak
04-27-2006, 08:04 AM
The first quad I took for a couple of rides was a YFZ with a twist...caused my first accident but that was more from lack of experience than anything...other than that I loved the twist throttle...and you don't have to worry about your thumb....

juanki
04-27-2006, 08:43 AM
I HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH IT.

i've always been riding with thumb, then switch to twist for racing, once in a jump, my back wheels landed first, i was very upwards, an the momentum trewme in to the front, the force that my body made went to my arms, my left arm eas straigth an my rigth was a little bend because os the wrist throttle and because i had a moving point in one arm, it went all there, making my wrist to snap and dislocated. it was one of those when you try to save it , got worse.

if your not used to it, dont race, practice a lot with it before you race, its a diferent feeling and most of all be aware and ride safe.

adrenalinefreak
04-27-2006, 09:51 AM
That's one of those situations where you had a bad landing and you were probably going to get hurt either way but who knows...

I've had bad experiences with both...I was going through a rocky section and went to get a good grasp on the handlebars which meant I just hit the throttle more and I pretty much flew off the quad smashed into the ground and finished by rolling through some thorn bushes, but I was fine..Just scratched up and a little shaken...

I plan on getting in some major practice time before racing. I guess depending on how comfortable I am with it by middle of May will depend on whether or not I do the race in Idaho.

SwainRacing
04-28-2006, 08:43 AM
I run a Finger Throttle and love it. You can hold on better and your thumb dosent cramp up and helps on are pump. I Have never used a twist, but would like to try one some day.

04-28-2006, 01:11 PM
twist grip is why i dont ride bikes! i cant stand it

what is a finger thorttole?

YFZ450Ridr
04-28-2006, 02:19 PM
ive used a twist on all my quads since i was 10. i just like the idea of my entire hand being wrapped around the bar instead of just my fingers. in most situations it is better for example hills or extreme rocky or rutted situations in trails like i ride.

it takes time to ride one and get used to it, but once u give it a little time youll love it. its the first thing i buy for any bike that i own. some people say they when you go to turn left or somthing you turn the throttle. those people shouldnt be riding period. i prefer the motion pro 1/4 turn throttle, best one ive used.

and a finger throttle is like the ones used on jet skis. its pulled with your index finger(i think, not positive). i think that would be a bit hard on a quad with the lever there too, but how often are you holding the brake and gas at the same time.

IrideMHSC
04-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Twist throttles can get you hurt if your not careful... espescially in cross country racing.. get to a point were you need to hang on but not on the gas... you start leanin back and the throttle gets mashed... then next thing you know ur scrubbin bark outta your teeth... its not pretty

SwainRacing
04-28-2006, 03:32 PM
You use either your pointer or middle finger or both instead of using your thumb. It all depende on the tereain, to which finger combo I use. I am just used to it now it comes naturaly. They are made mostly for Jet skis, but work well with most quads too! It does take some geting use to, but I used them on my race jetski and had no problem with it. You can hold on so much better and you can also use your pointer finger as a throttle stop while going through tight woods so it dosent go wide open, like a twist throttle might. Here is a picture of the one I have on my Predator and I also run one on our GNCC TRX450

SwainRacing
04-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Another

CannondaleRider
04-28-2006, 04:46 PM
With the finger throttle, how do you take corners using the front brakes to keep the front end planted?

I'm always riding the front brakes, along with giving it lots of throttle, around corners.....Theres no way I could use a throttle like that.

04-28-2006, 06:18 PM
lol i never saw a finger throttle on a 4 wheeler before :blah:

adrenalinefreak
04-28-2006, 08:41 PM
I have the MP CR Pro installed which I believe is the 1/4 turn one or 170 instead of the CR Comp which is 190. We are going riding tomorrow so I will probably reply back with my thoughts about the twist throttle and how I like it or maybe dislike!!

Not sure if I would like the finger throttle or not...maybe...

04-28-2006, 10:08 PM
i have the turbo didnt know they had diferent versions

TheFontMaster
04-30-2006, 08:59 AM
I am i die hard twist throttle fan. I just don't feel comfortable on a thumb throttle. I was riding my friends predator through some whoops, and I could barley hold onto the bars and nearly fell off a couple times. With a twist I can have both hands with a good grip on the bars. It does take time to get used to, but I learnd how to ride on a quad with a twist, so it works for me.

ryanh250ex
04-30-2006, 02:12 PM
thumb here, but i've used twists on bikes before.

adrenalinefreak
04-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Review of Twist Throttle:

Yesterday Was the first ride with my new twist throttle. Honestly at first I was second guessing my decision of putting one on, but I was completely aware of the differences and the time it takes to get used to it. I will have to say my bike woke up...not kidding. It seems as though my bike has a better throttle response!!

I had several Ohhh Crap moments. One in particular came up over a rocky section and almost hit the side of the canyon/mountain but I managed to get control and keep it. I need to get used to using the twist throttle while jumping because that is something I really enjoy and don't want to stop because of the twist.

So, I am keeping it on!

Now I am going to install the CDI box I got for it. I wanted to see the difference the twist would make and it definitely made one.

I got the Dyna nonprogrammable CDI for my 400ex. I cannot wait for Idaho!

04-30-2006, 09:39 PM
NICE ANOTHER TWISTER!