PDA

View Full Version : Help in Biology.

JRP
04-26-2006, 01:04 PM
well i know the majority of these answers but im stuck on a few. If you guys know some of them jus post up the answers. Thanks

Biology SOL Review
(put answers on your own paper)

Experiments & Experimental Design

1. What units do each of the following pieces of lab equipment measure in?
(a) Graduated cylinder (b) Triple beam balance (c)Beaker (d) Ruler

2. If a microscope has an eyepiece lens of 10x and an objective lens of 10x, what is the total magnification of the specimen?

3. If a microscope has an eyepiece lens of 10x and an objective lens of 50x, what is the total magnification of the specimen?

4. List the steps of the scientific method in the correct order.

5. After a scientist conducts an experiment, how will it become generally accepted by the scientific community?

6. Why is a control group used in an experiment?

7. What is the difference between an independent variable and a dependent variable? Which groups in an experiment contain these variables?

8. After studying about recycling, members of John's biology class investigated the effect of various recycled products on plant growth. John's lab group compared the effect of different aged grass compost on bean plants. Because decomposition is necessary for release of nutrients, the group hypothesized that older grass compost would produce taller bean plants. Three flats of bean plants (25 plants/flat) were grown for 5 days. The plants were then fertilized as follows: (a) Flat A: 450 g of three month old compost, (b) Flat B: 450 g of six month old compost and (c) Flat C: 0 g of compost. The plants received the same amount of sunlight and water each day. At the end of 30 days, the group recorded the height of the plants in cm. List the:
Hypothesis: Independent variable: Dependent variable:
Constants: Control group: Test groups:

9. To test the effectiveness of a pesticide, 5 mosquito larvae were placed into each of four vials containing 20 ml of tap water at 25oC. Two drops of a pesticide were placed in Vial A. Vial B received 4 drops; Vial C, 6 drops and Vial D, 8 drops of the pesticide. The mortality rate was determined at five minutes. List the:
Hypothesis: Independent variable: Dependent variable:
Constants: Control group: Test groups:

10. Roberta wanted to determine the normal range in height for American high school biology students. She collected data by having all the students in her biology class measure the height of a partner. She then graphed the height distribution of these students and stated a conclusion. From these data, it is appropriate for Roberta to state a conclusion about the height of what group?

Ecology

11. Find examples of the following in the picture shown above.
(a) Autotrophs (b) Heterotrophs/Consumers (c) Abiotic factors
(d) Biotic factors (e) Producers/Autotrophs

12. Draw an example of a food chain.

13. Draw an example of a food web.

14. For the food web you drew in problem #13, imagine that the population of one of the producers was eradicated. How would that affect the other populations of organisms?

15. For the food web you drew in problem #13, imagine that the population of one of the 1st order consumers was eradicated. How would that affect the other populations of organisms?

16. Draw an example of a pyramid of energy.

17. What is symbiosis? List and give examples of three types of symbiotic relationships.

18. What is a limiting factor? Give an example

19. What is ecological succession?

20. What type of community exists when succession slows down and a stable community is established? What is the name of this community in Virginia?

21. What is exponential growth? Draw a graph showing exponential growth. Label your axes.

22. What is carrying capacity?

23. Draw a graph showing: (a) initial growth stage, (b) exponential growth, (c) carrying capacity, (d) decline, and (e) extinction.

24. What is a: (a) population? (b) community? (c) ecosystem?

25. What is nutrient cycling? Give an example.

26. How does nutrient cycling compare to the flow of energy through food chains?

Biochemistry

27. Draw and label the pH scale.

28. Water is both cohesive and adhesive. Explain what these two terms mean.

29. List 5 properties of water due to it’s hydrogen bonding.

30. List the 4 types of organic molecules, their monomers and their function.

31. What are organic molecules?

32. What are the most common 4 elements present in organic molecules?

33. Why is carbon the central molecule in organic molecules?

34. What is a polymer?

35. What is an enzyme?

36. For the diagram below, explain what is happening. Label: enzyme, substrate, enzyme-substrate complex, reactant(s), product(s).

37. Proteins are all made of amino acids and yet they all catalyze different reactions. What makes one protein different from another?

The Cell

38. List the parts of the cell theory

39. The first cells on Earth were probably ______.

40. What is the difference between eukaryotic cells and prokaryotic cells?
41. Write the name of each cell organelle and its function:

lysosome transports materials through the cell
nucleus provides support for the cell
ribosome site of cell respiration
mitochondria site of protein synthesis
endoplasmic reticulum controls what enters & leaves the cell
Golgi apparatus contain digestive enzymes
cell membrane site of photosynthesis
cell wall contains DNA & is site where RNA is made
chloroplast cell products are packaged for export

42. The development of what instrument led to the development of the cell theory?

43. What do the terms “unicellular” and “multicellular” mean?

44. What is a specialized cell? Give an example. Why do cells specialize?

45. List three ways that plant cells are different from animal cells.

The Cell Membrane

46. Draw the structure of the fluid mosaic model of the cell membrane. Label: phospholipids, proteins and cholesterol.

47. Give an example of diffusion.

48. Osmosis is a type of diffusion. What is the difference between diffusion and osmosis?

49. A cell has an internal concentration of salt of 5%. (the salt cannot cross the cell membrane). The cell is placed in each of the solutions listed below. State whether the solution is hypertonic, hypotonic or isotonic to the cell. Also, state what will happen to the cell.
(a) 5% (b) 10% (c) 0%

50. What is the difference between active transport and passive transport?

51. List two major functions of the proteins that are present in the cell membrane.

52. Draw a picture of either endocytosis or exocytosis.

Energy (ATP, Photosynthesis and Cell Respiration)

53. What is ATP? Why is it important to organisms?

54. In general terms, explain what photosynthesis does. Then, write its balanced equation.

55. In general terms, explain what cell respiration does. Then, write its balanced equation.

56. Where do (a) photosynthesis, and (b) cell respiration occur?

57. It is said that photosynthesis and cell respiration are complementary processes for cycling carbon dioxide and oxygen in ecosystems. Explain what this sentence means.

Mitosis (Cell Division)

58. What are the parts of the cell cycle?

59. After a cell goes through mitosis, what is the result?

60. List the stages of mitosis, in order. Briefly state (or draw) what is happening to the cell in that stage.

61. What does the term “cytokinesis” mean?

Mendelian Genetics & Meiosis

62. What did Mendel study that helped him to develop his laws of heredity?

63. Define the following terms:
(a) Genotype (b) Phenotype (c) Homozygous
(d) Heterozygous (e) Allele

64. For the following problems, the allele for tall is dominant to the allele for short. Draw a Punnett Square and predict the phenotypes of the offspring, given the following parents:
(a) both parents are heterozygous tall

(b) one parent is heterozygous tall and one parent is short

65. For the following problems, Tall is dominant to short and yellow is dominant to green.
(a) one parent is TTYY (gamete: TY) and the other parent is ttyy (gamete: ty)

(b) one parent is TtYy (gametes: TY, Ty, tY and ty); the other parent is TTYy (gametes: TY, Ty)

66. How is meiosis different from mitosis? How is it the same?

67. Where does meiosis occur? Why is it important for reproduction?

68. If you are looking at a karyotype of a person who had Down syndrome, what would you see?

DNA and the formation of Proteins

69. Draw the general shape of the DNA double helix.

70. DNA is made up of nucleotides. Describe the structure of a nucleotide. Also, list the 4 nitrogen bases in DNA and how they pair.

71. What is meant by the “genetic code”?

72. What two scientists are credited with the development of the DNA model? What other scientist provided X-ray photographs of DNA that helped them?

73. In order for cells to make proteins, there are two steps involved. The first step is called transcription. (a) where does transcription occur? (b) what occurs during transcription?

74. The second step necessary to make proteins is called translation. (a) where does translation occur? (b) how do the instructions from the DNA get there? (c) what molecule brings the amino acids together to form the protein?

75. Three nitrogen bases carry the code for one amino acid. What is this set of 3 nitrogen bases called?

76. If a mRNA codon is UUG, what is the amino acid that is coded?

77. There are 3 differences between RNA and DNA. What are those differences?

78. For the following DNA sequence, write a complementary mRNA strand: G–A–C–T–A–G–G–T –T

Non-Mendelian Genetics

79. In a population of organisms, there are 3 colors: red (RR), white (R’R’) and pink (RR’). What possible offspring could result from a cross between a red organism and a white organism?

80. In a population of organisms, there are 3 colors: blue (BB), red (RR) and purple (BR). What possible offspring could result from a cross between 2 purple organisms?

81. In fruit flies, the gene for eye color is sex-linked. Red eyes (R) is dominant to white eyes (r). Predict the offspring of a cross between a heterozygous female XRXr and a red-eyed male (XrY).

82. For the pedigree shown below, will the female in the 2nd generation be normal, colorblind, or a carrier?

83. If you are looking at a karyotype, how can you tell if the person is male or female?

Modern Genetics

84. If a cell is cloned, how do the resulting cells resemble the cloned cell?

85. What is recombinant DNA? What is a transgenic organism?

86. A restriction enzyme recognizes the sequence T – A – A – T – T – G and cuts between the T and the G. Write the strand of DNA below and show where the DNA would be cut.
A – C – A – T – T – A – A – T – T – G – C – A – T – C

The Origins of Life

87. There are 4 parts to natural selection. What are these 4 parts?

88. Natural selection is governed by the principles of genetics. What two genetic events contribute to natural selection?

89. What is a mutation? Why are mutations important to natural selection?

90. Earth’s first cells were probably heterotrophic prokaryotes. Over time, chemosynthetic prokaryotes developed. Later, photosynthetic prokaryotes developed. This last development greatly changed the course of evolution on earth. How?

91. After oxygen began to develop in the atmosphere, what type of cells developed? Why did these cells have to have oxygen?

92. There are 2 ideas as to how fast evolution has occurred: gradualism and punctuated equilibrium. Explain the difference between these two viewpoints.

Classification/Kingdoms

93. List the classification taxa in order from the largest group to the smallest.

94. If two organisms are in the same family, what other taxa must they share?

95. Using binomial nomenclature, an organism’s name is Canis familiaris. What two taxa comprise this name?

96. If two different organisms have a homologous structure, what hypothesis could be drawn?

97. What is a species?

98. List the 3 domains and the 6 kingdoms.

99. Look at the following chart. Which primate is the most closely related to humans?

100. Insects and crabs are in the same kingdom (Animalia). They are also in the same phylum (Arthropoda). What characteristic do both insects and crabs share that puts them into the same phylum?

101. Rank the following animal groups from 1 (the most primitive) to 5 (the most complex):
Mammals Insects Sponge Jellyfish Worms

102. What is a vertebrate? Give an example.

103. What is an invertebrate? Give an example.

104. Give an example of the following types of chordates: mammal, amphibian, reptile

Viruses and Monerans (Bacteria)

105. What is the difference between archaebacteria and eubacteria?

106. Why are viruses not considered to be alive?

107. Outline the lytic cycle of viruses.

108. Outline the lysogenic cycle of viruses.

Immunity

109. What are Koch’s postulates?

110. What is a pathogen?

111. What is your 1st line of defense against pathogens?

Plants

112. Look at the structure of a flower below. Label: pistil, stamen. In which organ is pollen made? In which organ is the ovule made? What do pollen and ovules have in common?

113. What is the name of the tissue in woody plants where new growth occurs?

114. What is vascular tissue? How does it help plants?

115. What is the function of the plant tissues xylem and phloem?

116. Roots of plants, intestines in animals and the cristae of mitochondria all have something in common. What do they have in common? Why is this structural feature beneficial?

Human Body Systems

117. For each of the following systems, write in general terms what its function is:
(a) Digestive (b) Respiratory (c) Circulatory
(d) Urinary (e) Immune

hartnett18
04-26-2006, 01:21 PM
took me all day to read i dont know any it took me so long to read i forgot what it was about lol.

FreekShow
04-26-2006, 01:22 PM
:huh

derekhonda
04-26-2006, 01:51 PM
do your own homework

zeppelin
04-26-2006, 01:53 PM
i know most of that stuff, im taking biology right now and i have over 100% in that class, but im not going to do an entire 117 question study guide for you. if you need help i'll glady answer acouple of them that you are having trouble with though.

JRP
04-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin
i know most of that stuff, im taking biology right now and i have over 100% in that class, but im not going to do an entire 117 question study guide for you. if you need help i'll glady answer acouple of them that you are having trouble with though.

yea i know, i have an 95%, i know probably 90 of them, its jus some i cant seem to find the answers. Let me find the ones that i dont know and ill let you know. Thanks

Warnerade
02-13-2012, 04:26 PM
did you ever figure this out little buddy?

MX MaNiAc 06
02-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Hahaha i remember this

BlasterEaten250
02-13-2012, 07:54 PM
After 6 years I'm on #93, should have some answers for you soon :cool: