PDA

View Full Version : riser vs. extended stem

Knarf0486
04-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Besides being way cheaper than an extended stem does anyone know any reasons that I should go with an extended stem as oppose to a 2" riser kit?
Does anyone have any pics of their bikes with these kits installed? Does anyone know if they available with 1 1/8 clamps?

NacsMXer
04-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Both are available in 1 1/8". Both can offer antivibe clamps. The aftermarket stem will be stronger than the stock stem, so it won't want to bend as easily. If you choose risers and use a stock stem with them, then you are increasing the leverage applied to the neck area of the stem in a rollover (increasing likelihood of bending it). Adjustable risers like Rox risers allow the handlebars to be positioned closer or further away from you in an infinite number of variations. You do not get this capability with the stem. The best way to go for a bulletproof setup would be the stem AND the risers, but that is not always possible. Take your pick.

Knarf0486
04-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Very true. The only real thing I would have to worry about is a rollover, becuase I'm not a serious racer or anything that has to worry about bending a steering stem.
Do the anti-vibe setups really help that much that it'd be worth $150 as oppose to the $75 for the regular riser?
One more question, am I going to run into any cable length issues when I'm putting a rise and bars on my bike, its an 06 450r?

NacsMXer
04-26-2006, 01:50 PM
I am the same way. I only run stock stems because it is rare that I ever roll my quad. If I do toast a stem, I call up Service Honda and 40 dollars later, it's at my door.....not too bad. I use tall bend 1 1/8" fatbars instead of risers (about 2 inches higher than stock).

For twice the cash I would not opt for the antivibe riser from Rox. The difference is there, but not dramatic, and definitely not worth twice the money IMO.

Depending on the rise you choose, your front brake line and throttle cable may be too short. I believe you can only go 2-3 inches higher than the stock bars before you start stretching the cables. I say it's a good excuse to upgrade to some stainless steel braided brake lines (better braking feel/power). You can get a longer throttle cable for very cheap as well.

juanki
04-26-2006, 04:33 PM
i had the same issue and i opted to keep te stock steem and got the antivibe raisers from roxspeedfx, you woud need some clamps to put them in the stock steem, i have tag t2 handlebar and thah have the clamps already.

i just waiting to recive them, i'll post the result as soon as i get them.

chek roxspeedfx web page.

Knarf0486
04-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by juanki
i had the same issue and i opted to keep te stock steem and got the antivibe raisers from roxspeedfx, you woud need some clamps to put them in the stock steem, i have tag t2 handlebar and thah have the clamps already.

i just waiting to recive them, i'll post the result as soon as i get them.

chek roxspeedfx web page.
sweet man, cant wait for the pics.

I have a 5" Rox riser setup on my snowmobile and I love it. Ill prob go with a 2" one for my wheeler, still up in the air about getting the anti-vibe as opposed to the regular ones.

450Rchaser
04-27-2006, 11:29 AM
My brother in law has a houser +2 steering stem w/ tag matel bars. His 450R did about 10 side over side flips down the side of a hill. and landed upside down. We flipped it back over and the steering stem and handlebars were perfect. The only thing it did was bend the real axle when it hit a tree. We all were very impressed w/ the stem and bars. It is worth the money to get the stem ratrher than risers.