PDA

View Full Version : Boggish?

rooster300ex
04-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Alright i usually just run an outerwear on my k&n filter and an outerwear airbox cover, so then my buddy seen i still had my stock airbox lid, so he asked if i wanted to make a lid like EHS Racing. We made it it looks great but i think it messed the jetting up. could this have messed with the jetting. it seems boggish and the exaust tone sounds dead.

underpowered
04-26-2006, 10:03 AM
i will restrict some flow. it will be minimal, but there is not as much open surface area as with the normal air box cover or an open air box. your jetting will be alittle too rich probably.

rooster300ex
04-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Damnit that sucks. Now i'm gonna have to run no airbox lid with an outerwear on my filter,and have a nice awesome lookin airbox lid lyin around with my 30dollar outerwear cut up. hell of a friend huh. he was only meaning well though. i'll just take it off and save up alil extra cash and get a new cover. Right now i have the 128main from my dynojet jet kit, do ya think i should rejet down to the next smallest main jet and settings as on my dynojet instru.?

300exOH
04-26-2006, 10:36 AM
What does your homemade lid look like? I have switched between my 2 homemade lids and an open airbox and haven't had any problems with jetting at all. One lid has a velocity stack(like GT Thunder's) and the other has the top cut out and is covered by outerwear material. I wouldn't think any modded lid would be more restrictive than an open airbox. At least not enough to affect jetting unless you were a tad rich to begin with.

underpowered
04-26-2006, 10:57 AM
on my 400ex, i can tell a difference just going between an open box to the outerwears cover on it. anything you do to the airbox, intake will alter flow. if you were already running rich, the lid will make you run richer. try dropping 1 size on the main and see what that does for it.

rooster300ex
04-26-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm just gonna run it with no lid, and the outerwear on the filter. i'll get another airbox cover sometime. when i put the airbox outerwear cover i couldn't tell no difference in performance.

rooster300ex
04-26-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
What does your homemade lid look like? I have switched between my 2 homemade lids and an open airbox and haven't had any problems with jetting at all. One lid has a velocity stack(like GT Thunder's) and the other has the top cut out and is covered by outerwear material. I wouldn't think any modded lid would be more restrictive than an open airbox. At least not enough to affect jetting unless you were a tad rich to begin with.

Its very similar to this one from ehs racing.

http://www.ehsracing.com/EHS_WEB/Products/AirBox_Covers/300EX_250X_EHS_ABX.aspx

300exOH
04-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
Its very similar to this one from ehs racing.

http://www.ehsracing.com/EHS_WEB/Products/AirBox_Covers/300EX_250X_EHS_ABX.aspx

Yeah. That's about the same as my homemade outerwear lid. I've never noticed any bogging when I put mine on but anything is possible.

my lid

rooster300ex
04-26-2006, 09:47 PM
(Open lid w/outerwears airbox cover)This is the settings my carb use to be. dynojet needle on groove5,250x stock 38pilot,dynojet 128mj,fuel screw 3 turns out.

(Homemade lid like the one above)Now its set up is. dynojet needle on groove4,300ex pilot38,dynojet 124mj, and 3 turns out on fuel screw.

I'm gonna see what it makes it do. and the reason i said 300ex pilot is because i'm using a 250x carb, and there is no difference exept the 250x pilot is longer, and although they are both 38's the 300ex's was bigger but shorter. maybe that was one of my problems. i've been having jetting problems alot. Maybe this time its cured.

300exOH
04-26-2006, 10:00 PM
(Open lid w/outerwears airbox cover)This is the settings my carb use to be. dynojet needle on groove5,250x stock 38pilot,dynojet 128mj,fuel screw 3 turns out.

(Homemade lid like the one above)Now its set up is. dynojet needle on groove4,300ex pilot38,dynojet 124mj, and 3 turns out on fuel screw.

I'm gonna see what it makes it do. and the reason i said 300ex pilot is because i'm using a 250x carb, and there is no difference exept the 250x pilot is longer, and although they are both 38's the 300ex's was bigger but shorter. maybe that was one of my problems. i've been having jetting problems alot. Maybe this time its cured.

Where is it bogging? Top end,mid or bottom? If it is bogging on the bottom then you need to change the pilot jet or adjust the air/fuel screw. If it's bogging on the top then you need to change the main jet. Changing the lid shouldn't affect the pilot jet much at all but running the 300ex pilot in the 250x carb could be part of the problem. Sounds like you are on the right track though.

rooster300ex
04-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Well it acutally sounded boggish to me at every position of the throttle, my jettin in the first place wasn't right, so thats prolly the reason i'm having such hell.

rooster300ex
04-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Where is it bogging? Top end,mid or bottom? If it is bogging on the bottom then you need to change the pilot jet or adjust the air/fuel screw. If it's bogging on the top then you need to change the main jet. Changing the lid shouldn't affect the pilot jet much at all but running the 300ex pilot in the 250x carb could be part of the problem. Sounds like you are on the right track though.

I have the old carb that use to be on it, that carbs idle thing that rests on the idle adjustment screw broke, so it didn't idle no more and that sucks. so then i get a 250x carb off ebay for 45bucks, and jet it with my dynojet kit, and now since that lid i took it apart and decided to put all the stuff i can from my 300ex carb. its exactly alike execpt how you adjust the idle and the color of the choke lever. the 300ex pilot fits the 250x carb like the 300ex carb. the 300ex's pilot looks bigger even though they say the same size, and sits up in the carb more. Anybody know why?

GPracer2500
04-27-2006, 11:18 AM
I have the old carb that use to be on it, that carbs idle thing that rests on the idle adjustment screw broke, so it didn't idle no more and that sucks. so then i get a 250x carb off ebay for 45bucks, and jet it with my dynojet kit, and now since that lid i took it apart and decided to put all the stuff i can from my 300ex carb. its exactly alike execpt how you adjust the idle and the color of the choke lever. the 300ex pilot fits the 250x carb like the 300ex carb. the 300ex's pilot looks bigger even though they say the same size, and sits up in the carb more. Anybody know why?

The difference in pilots is Series 21 vs. Series 26. The only difference between a series 21 and 26 is the length of the jet from the threads to the end that has the screwdriver slot on it. A series 26 is a little shorter that a series 21. The series of a pilot jet is independent from the "size" of the jet (38, 40, 42, 45, etc.).

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=226248

rooster300ex
04-27-2006, 01:03 PM
I can say i learned something today. I did the setup i described and it seems to work great at all throttle positions. When i get it warmed up fully i'll see how it runs.

300exOH
04-27-2006, 01:07 PM
I can say i learned something today. I did the setup i described and it seems to work great at all throttle positions. When i get it warmed up fully i'll see how it runs.

Good to hear you figured it out:devil:

underpowered
04-27-2006, 02:08 PM
good, hope it works well for you. Like i said before, Any changes at all to the intake, exhaust, motor or the weather will make a difference in how your bike runs. changes need to be made accordingly.

rooster300ex
04-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Rode it yesterday and alil at night, and it runs good. It use to cut out when i would hold a steady speed at 1/4 to 1/2, but when i opened it up it would do fine, now the throttle is pretty crisp.