PDA

View Full Version : neutral

ondagaskiknass
04-26-2006, 08:02 AM
Does anybody know why a fouwheeler might not go into neutral easy. If the machine is off it goes in easy but if i have it running and warmed up it seems to go in very hard unless i give it alot of throttle(goes into neutral alot while trying to shift fast to second and up)

guinness77
04-26-2006, 08:33 AM
I'm told its a common problem getting the 400ex into neutral. I find myself feathering the clutch to do the job.

As for the other shifting problem. I had the same problem. I discoverd that changing oil brand did the trick. I asked many many questions on this and it seems that each individual machine seems to have its own preference. Mine likes Castrol 4-stroke motor cycle oil best. Nearly all my shifting problems have gone away since I switched to this.

ilpadrino113
04-26-2006, 05:54 PM
it's just friction in the gears, the heat causes the different gars to expand differently, no two are exactly the same. and we're talking single thousandths of an inch at most

ondagaskiknass
04-26-2006, 06:00 PM
i just changed my oil.... idk, ne way too change the gears

GPracer2500
04-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by ondagaskiknass
i just changed my oil.... idk, ne way too change the gears

Sure--but you've got to split the cases to get to them.

Many times transmission issues are really clutch issues. Make sure your clutch disks , clutch basket, and clutch inner are in good condition and your cable is properly adjusted before you start chasing problems into the depths of the engine.