PDA

View Full Version : Desert racing setup

quallerd
04-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Just wondering how everyone is setting up there stock suspension when racing desert.

I'm also wondering what the best tire pressure is for desert racing.

I have an 04 450r with 20x11-9 Holeshot H-Ds on the rear and 21x7.0-10 Razr2 mounted on Hiper beadlocks all the way around. I probably weight about 215lbs with all of my gear.

Thanks for your help, I have a race this weekend!!

calds650
04-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Air pressure is a personal thing when I am out in the desert I run 7lbs. I know some racers that run as much as 12-15 lbs. The best set up is Tires Balls. The idea with more air pressure is you are less likely to cut the side of your tires if you hit a rock at high seed

Ex'r Marlin
04-30-2006, 11:42 PM
I have never raced a "Desert Race", but I too have heard of them running much higher air pressures than the normal 4 to 5 psi.

My thought... With stock shocks on your '04 450R and your body weight, 7 psi like stated above.

NOTE: I highly recommend asking fellow racers at the race what they recommend with your set-up.

Obviously, the more air pressure, the rougher the ride will feel... Especially with stock suspension. But the goal is to finish the race without cutting the sidewalls, like stated above.

Good luck at the race!:) :macho

quallerd
05-01-2006, 07:02 AM
Well, the race wen't good.

I ran 7.5 psi in each tire and had no problem. Allot of my time was even spent off the track and no kidding, in the desert.

As far as suspension, I took all of the preload out of each of the shock, set the compression all the way to soft, and set the rebound about two turns out from all the way soft.

This seemed to work OK, but I'm convinced that new suspension will be worth its weight in gold.

The biggest problem that I had was with my thumb getting so dang tired that I could hold the throttle any more towards the end of the race.

Has anybody used one of those thumb throttle extenders? How did it work? Which one is the best?

I don't think I want to try a twist throttle just yet.