PDA

View Full Version : arm pump

crash n burn
04-25-2006, 06:44 PM
I just ran a local harescramble on saturday, it was my first time racing so i didnt really know what to expect. I thought i knew what arm pump was, but i had no idea how bad it could get. I would like to know what wold be a better investment for helping with arm pump, some new shocks, or a steering dampener. I will do both in time, but what should i do first.

P.S. what would be a good steering dampener to buy.

JRP
04-25-2006, 06:45 PM
get a steering dampener. precision is the best, but there gonna run u 450 bucks.

pitbull43910
04-25-2006, 06:56 PM
best thing for arm pump is to be in good rideing shape ---practice and i have found bengay on the forarms before a race helps, also any thing to stop vibration in the handelbars will help alot

lafinrat
04-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Oury grips, excercise your forearms, and lots and lots of practice. Most of the fatigue in your arms is from gripping too tight all the time. It takes lots of practice to get rid of arm pump, no single part on your bike will fix it.

exrider44
04-25-2006, 07:51 PM
I have a set of Fastco bars and it helps alot with arm pump. I think those antvibe stem and a dampner would be a great combo. Obviously suspension upgrades are good to.

woodsman250r
04-25-2006, 08:49 PM
I used to get arm pump like crazy and I got a Precision Stabilizer. I will swear by them in terms of helping to aleaviate me of having arm pump problems. However if you don't ride, ride, ride and condition yourself there is no "magic part" that will cure it. Get as much seat time as possible, condition while not riding and save your pennies and get the Precision!

04-25-2006, 09:16 PM
id get the WER before the precision. ive rode the precision and it may have been a little better but nothing to justify the price difference

bwilson624
04-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Anything cardiovascular will help. Running and excercise will never hurt anything. Another good thing to do is to take a bar about 12 inches long, drill a hole through the middle of it. Take a rope, put it through the hole and tie the other end to a 2.5 or 5 pound weight. Now without moving your arm, just your wrists, twist the weight up and down. When it burns, it is working. It helps me alot with arm pump.

04-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by bwilson624
Anything cardiovascular will help. Running and excercise will never hurt anything. Another good thing to do is to take a bar about 12 inches long, drill a hole through the middle of it. Take a rope, put it through the hole and tie the other end to a 2.5 or 5 pound weight. Now without moving your arm, just your wrists, twist the weight up and down. When it burns, it is working. It helps me alot with arm pump.

man, that exercise makes your forearms burn like crazy!!!
it'll have you looking like popeye in no time!!

04-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
id get the WER before the precision. ive rode the precision and it may have been a little better but nothing to justify the price difference

Mix, you're always out to get the best bang for the buck.
thanks for the info. you might also add that the precision is on back order just about everywhere. so, the WER may be more readily available.

bwilson624
04-26-2006, 11:19 AM
man, that exercise makes your forearms burn like crazy!!!

Yeah I know, that just means it's working. Maybe not popeye, but it sure will build those forearms up. I use a 5 pound weight when I do it.

shamisc
04-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike

Everything is always crap to you, unless you own one!:rolleyes: :ermm: I've rode almost every stick dampner out there, the Scott's, and the WER, but Nothing compares to the quality and function of the Precision! The WER is deffinately better than the sticks. If you want the ultimate tool to keep the bars in your hands, it's the Precision. Mine will be here any day now!;)

pudamac12
04-26-2006, 12:01 PM
I used to get arm pump real bad last year with my elkas and now I switched to motowoz shocks and i don't get it at all. And I don't run a steering stabilizer at all.

woodsman250r
04-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
Everything is always crap to you, unless you own one!:rolleyes: :ermm: I've rode almost every stick dampner out there, the Scott's, and the WER, but Nothing compares to the quality and function of the Precision! The WER is deffinately better than the sticks. If you want the ultimate tool to keep the bars in your hands, it's the Precision. Mine will be here any day now!;)

I agree, everything is junk unless you own it in your mind. Don't listen to mixmastermike because he doesn't even race and hasn't rode with the precision enough to know how advanced it really is. Sure the WER might be cheaper but cheaper isn't always better. And shamisc, you will love the precison I guarentee that! I am still messing with all of the settings and can't believe how I could ride without it. Just my two cents.

crash n burn
04-26-2006, 06:46 PM
thanks for the help, cost doesnt bother me if it helps. where can i get a precision, i see they are on backorder for 4 weeks. I am in good shape(football) but not good riding condition, so i will try to ride more.

redrider9045
04-26-2006, 07:21 PM
RIDE

bwilson624
04-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Practice is the biggest thing, the more seat time, the better.