PDA

View Full Version : air filter intake pipe?

trx250r86
04-25-2006, 05:25 PM
OK, got my sons 04 AC 50 together and it ran great after putting a Trinity racing pipe, clutch kit(2k rpm clutch and rear springs)(red), starter and oil injection removed, uni pod filter w/outerware (direct mount to carb), i installed a 120 main jet in the stock carb, w/screw turned 1-1/2 turns out, using a B8HS plug.. Ran great last night, today i decided to try and move the filter out of the front fender and into the stock location under the seat since the oil tank is gone, looked and fit nice, used the stock intake pipe with the restriction washer removed.. when he went to ride it as soon as it reved a bit it would just fall flat on its face and seem like it was getting no fuel at all.. like it was riding and someone hit the kill switch, let off the throttle and it would idle low and then back to normal, did this while under load, and while i held t he back wheel off the ground, (also was a little harder to start took about 2-3 kicks when it usually fires on the first).. So i put the filter back directly on the carb and wouldnt you know it Ran great again.. I would really like to run the filter on that intake tube back under the seat for reasons of its out of all the direct dirt and mud. Anyone know what the problem could be why it wont run right with the intake tube? could it be the size of the tube is too small? jet too big or small? dosnt like that almost 90* elbow if front of the carb, or must i just face the facts that the filter will be on the carb for it to run good..

bigdaddy
04-25-2006, 05:45 PM
When we put a Hetrick air box on we had to go UP 2 sizes on the main. I talkked to Rich Hetrick and he said something about the turblence created. Dont know but might be worth a try. The new carb your getting has a 130 main in it and worked great.

trx250r86
04-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Good deal, i will try that tommorrow, i have a bunch of jets for the stock carb, so i will try a 130 main jet, i belive thats 2 sizes from a 120 correct, i think they go in icrements of 5.. Yes its only until I can save up enough to get an intake/reed cage setup so i can use that 20mm carb.. all these parts took a drain on his "parts fund", if anyone has a used intake thats for sale that would work let me know..