PDA

View Full Version : hot cam

foxrider1
04-25-2006, 04:59 PM
i was wondering will i have to re-jet my 400ex if i get a stage 2 hotcam

underpowered
04-25-2006, 05:10 PM
reject it? if you are gonna reject it, i will take it.

You will however need to RE-JET the carb with a new cam.

foxrider1
04-25-2006, 07:06 PM
whoops i spelled re -jet wrong sorry about that. I am new to jetting a carb. Can i re -jet my stock carb of do i have to get a jet kit. And what do i jet.Do i have to tear apart the whole carb.Also is it true that hot cams make a ticking noise.One more question it is kinda of the subject but if you run klotz nitro will your bike smoke because my does OR does that mean i need new rings.

premiumtommy
04-25-2006, 07:20 PM
my advice to you is buy a service manual...

jetting is easy to do..the actual task...just takes time to know what and when to do it...

the ticking..dont worry...as long as the valves are lashed properly then it is fine..

for the first 30 min of running, the ticking will be loud...it will get quieter over time...

but you cant hear it at WOT so dont worry

as far as the smoking, i have nvr used it so dont know...

good luk

GPracer2500
04-25-2006, 07:30 PM
I don't think Klotz Nitro should cause smoking. Since your asking about jetting I'm assuming you didn't rejet when using Klotz's Nitro product. That might be your problem--you may have been running hot and/or detonating and damaged your piston rings...

See my comments about Klotz Nitro in this thread: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=228325

foxrider1
04-25-2006, 07:42 PM
so you think i should just stop running nitro and get new rings and then re-jet when i get my cam

GPracer2500
04-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by foxrider1
so you think i should just stop running nitro and get new rings and then re-jet when i get my cam

Yep--assuming your rings are indeed bad. Is it smoking a light blueish smoke all the time?? If it is then your rings are probably bad. I deffinitely would not mess around with an oxygenated fuel additive like Klotz Nitro until you get a handle on jetting your quad correctly.

foxrider1
04-25-2006, 08:02 PM
Yea that is the color of the smoke and thanks on the info you are a big help