PDA

View Full Version : Is there a trick to removing the swingarm bolt?

Glamis400ex
04-25-2006, 04:33 PM
Well, I've decided against buying a $65 bolt and trying the grease zerk method for my swing arm bolt. After 3 days of saturating with WD-40, I got her to spin and will tap out with a few hard blows.

My question is....I know the manual doesn't say, but there has got to be a "trick" getting that sucker out without everything falling apart. I'm afraid that onced I tap it out, everything will be "SPRUNG" like a slinky and never go back together. Do I leave a 4 wheels on the ground, keep the rear shock on or off, keep tension at the mid point??? Will I be able to access the bearing and seals to see if they need replacing?

Sorry for the dumb questions...thanks,

Glamis

400exMO
04-25-2006, 04:35 PM
I thought the same thing, but when I pulled mine it was easy to realign. Just get a long skinny screwdriver and stick it through. Line it up and stick er' through.

Rip_Tear
04-25-2006, 06:15 PM
You can't really check the bearings with it in the proper positions, but you can leave everything hooked up and just put the swing arm out. It should go back together real easy.

Glamis400ex
04-25-2006, 07:10 PM
sweet....thanks

bwilson624
04-25-2006, 11:37 PM
I always get it loose, then just use a long screwdriver and give it a couple of good whacks. It'll work

quad2xtreme
04-27-2006, 10:29 AM
I always jack the quad up to remove any pressure created from the shock, etc. Not actually sure if you need to or not.

/Jon

NacsMXer
04-27-2006, 01:22 PM
What I do to keep everything aligned is use a long enough piece of rebar. I clean it with carb cleaner before using it so I don't deposit any extra rust particles in there. It works great as a swingarm bolt punch as well. I just keep tapping on the bolt until it comes out the other side. When it comes all the way out, the rebar is holding everything together where the bolt once was. Reassembly is even easier, just tap in the bolt, and out comes the rebar :)

Quadboy350
04-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Im going through the same thang. I cant get my bolt to budge though. it will turn but it wont pull out AT ALL. So the only thing i know is to cut the swingarm and pull it all apart. I guess the bolt got grooves in it and bent over time darn thang just wont come out. any suggestions.

quad2xtreme
04-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Quadboy350
Im going through the same thang. I cant get my bolt to budge though. it will turn but it wont pull out AT ALL. So the only thing i know is to cut the swingarm and pull it all apart. I guess the bolt got grooves in it and bent over time darn thang just wont come out. any suggestions.

Look real close and see if the bushings are spinning at the engine case as you turn the bolt. If so, you got a big problem. You still have to get the bolt out of the bushings as engine case bushings cannot be replaced as a Honda part. You could get a machine shop to make some though.

I had to cut the swingarm bolt lose from my 400ex with a torch. In the end, the swingarm was ruined too. Wish I knew this from the start as it would have been a whole lot easier to just cut the swingarm first to get it out of the way.

I recommend buying a 1/4" pinpunch. This is a punch that has a portion that will fit down inside the bolt. The punch handle will then rest against the bolt. The punch can't slip so you can pound harder. You might be able to knock it out with a 3 lb or 10 lb sledgehammer (protect your frame with wood in case you miss).

If you are only pounding with a regular hammer, you need something with more weight.

Good luck. It is a *****!

/Jon

Glamis400ex
04-28-2006, 07:03 AM
Well, I gathered up parts to tap both sides....aperantly, I got the wrong size tap or fittings. I ended up just lubing the crap outta the bolt and shoving it back in. I'll just be sure to check it after every season.

Glamis