PDA

View Full Version : Help Identify BMX Bike

Quad18star
04-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Alright so this morning when I was driving ym girlfriend to work , I found a BMX bike laying on the side of the road . The rear rim is toast and the bars are bent ... but I picked it up anyways ( gives me soemthing to screw around with in the garage ) .

So now I'm taking it apart and I can't figure out what make it is . It's probably some cheap WalMart bike but whatever . Someone removed all the sticker , but I grabbed a dried up muddy glove and ran it over the frame and some markings come out ( I should be in forensics or something :p ) On the rear of the frame it has something marked Core Technology . On the main frame theres the word Dragon layed in a flame design/sticker . There's also a sticker that says Made in China ( main reason I think it's a WalMart bike) .

Anyone might know what this bike is ?? It's painted all black is that helps . LOL :confused:

Mxjunkie
04-25-2006, 01:20 PM
lol grab some pictures greg I might be able to help you. Sounds like a old dyno or a GT

That or its a mongoose (the lil mongoose kinda looks like a dragon)

Quad18star
04-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
lol grab some pictures greg I might be able to help you. Sounds like a old dyno or a GT

That or its a mongoose (the lil mongoose kinda looks like a dragon)

I just striped the whole bike ... now I'm not sure if I remember where everything goes to put it back together . LOL .

I'll get a few pictures for you to check out . Give me a few minutes !!!:devil:

Quad18star
04-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Hopefully these pictures work .

Quad18star
04-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Another .

Quad18star
04-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Logo on the seat . :confused:

Mxjunkie
04-25-2006, 02:47 PM
heck it actually doesnt look to bad lol throw some parts on it and ride her crippy :p

Quad18star
04-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Tacoed rear rim , bars , front rim .

Quad18star
04-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
heck it actually doesnt look to bad lol throw some parts on it and ride her crippy :p

I know ... it doesn't look too bad ... but as you can see in the pictures , the bars are bent on one side . I put them in the vice and tried to get it back to normal as best as I could . The rear rim is toast along with the tire . Also the bolt that holds the rear tire and bearings in place is bent and the rear part of the frame ( where the tire connects) . I tried to straighten as best as I could ... I'll try a bit more later on .

Also to maybe help Identify it , on the cables it's marked SST ORYG . I dunno if that helps at all . :confused:

I'd like to get it back in working order to ride it ... I'm just hoping I remember where everything goes . :S

04-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Not sure on the brand.I am pretty fimiliar ith BMX bikes and have never seen anything called "Dragon" but it looks like a good frame seeing how it is built and the cantilever brakes.

How heavy is it???

04-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star

Also to maybe help Identify it , on the cables it's marked SST ORYG . I dunno if that helps at all . :confused:

That narrows it down to every BMX bike ever made:p

04-25-2006, 02:58 PM

I missed that part.Are you sure it doesn't say GYRO.That is so you can spin the handlebars all the way around without the brake line stopping it.It may be a flatland/trick bike.

Quad18star
04-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by James400EX
Not sure on the brand.I am pretty fimiliar ith BMX bikes and have never seen anything called "Dragon" but it looks like a good frame seeing how it is built and the cantilever brakes.

How heavy is it???

It's actually pretty heavy .... definately not aluminum . It also had front and rear pegs . Another thing that makes me think it's a WalMart special , is that it has a kickstand . I'm clueless in the BMX world , but I don't think top brand bikes have kickstands , do they??

Quad18star
04-25-2006, 03:06 PM
I missed that part.Are you sure it doesn't say GYRO.That is so you can spin the handlebars all the way around without the brake line stopping it.It may be a flatland/trick bike.

I was able to spin them all the way around when it was all in one piece . I just checked the cables again and it says SST ORYG ( GYRO spelt backwards ) , the grips on the bike say AMX extreme , and the peddles have a small marking of FPD .

04-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Heavy doesnt necessarily mean its cheap but the kick stand makes me think so.Is it on the rear wheel or the middle,it does make a difference.My bike shop always put one on the rear wheel to display them.It was the first thing to come off.

I am thinking this is a no name.

My buddy came up on a 24 inch Diamond Back frame.I was so pissed.I always wanted a 24 when I was a kid.I am still trying to buy it off him.

Quad18star
04-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Heavy doesnt necessarily mean its cheap but the kick stand makes me think so.Is it on the rear wheel or the middle,it does make a difference.My bike shop always put one on the rear wheel to display them.It was the first thing to come off.

I am thinking this is a no name.

It was in the middle of the frame .... I was able to get rid of it by unscrewing 1 bolt . LOL :devil:

04-25-2006, 03:09 PM
The front rim is toast too. If you look you can see where the brake pads were and weren't hitting the wheel.

Quad18star
04-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by MXFourTwoEight
The front rim is toast too. If you look you can see where the brake pads were and weren't hitting the wheel.

Hrmmm I never noticed that . I'll have to go take a look at it . It might also be shadows from the pictures .... I took all the air out of the tire to remove it .... might be part of the tire overlapping the rim ?!?!?!

04-25-2006, 03:18 PM
It was in the middle of the frame .... I was able to get rid of it by unscrewing 1 bolt . LOL :devil:

Its cheap,that sucks dude.

Quad18star
04-25-2006, 04:25 PM
Its cheap,that sucks dude.

No big deal . It cost me a whole 5 minutes to get out of the car and pick it up . :D Half the cables are screwed anyways ... they were all frayed so I cut them . I'f I can find a back rim for a few bucks I'll slap it on and forget about putting the brakes and stuff ... use the old " push the peddle backwards to stop" technique :devil: I just want something for up at the cottage or around the house when I want to go to the store and not walk or take the car . :blah:

Mxjunkie
04-25-2006, 04:29 PM
haha go to..

www.danscomp.com

they have all the parts you'll ever need and some. You can buy parts packages which has everything but a frame :cool:

theTman
04-25-2006, 04:30 PM
No big deal . It cost me a whole 5 minutes to get out of the car and pick it up . :D Half the cables are screwed anyways ... they were all frayed so I cut them . I'f I can find a back rim for a few bucks I'll slap it on and forget about putting the brakes and stuff ... use the old " push the peddle backwards to stop" technique :devil: I just want something for up at the cottage or around the house when I want to go to the store and not walk or take the car . :blah:

:o cant just push the pedal back on that bike greg lol...gotta use your feet on the tire or drag them on the ground

Quad18star
04-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by theTman
:o cant just push the pedal back on that bike greg lol...gotta use your feet on the tire or drag them on the ground

If I end up with more broken bones , you'll know why . LOL Just goes to show you how much I know about BMX bikes . :ermm:

I now remember why I try not to do any major work on my quad myself ..... half the stuff I took off the BMX bike , I have no clue where they go .

It's too bad BMX levers don't fit on a quad ... I'd have some pretty sweet shorty levers . :devil: :p

But honestly , if I can't find a rim for less than $20 , I'll probably put it out at the curb for garbage pick up or give it to one of the BMX kids around town .... heck maybe I'll sell it to them for $20 ..... pay my gas to town and back and maybe even a trip to McDs . :D

04-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Hand brakes are about $10 rims-20 tires-10 tubes-5 this is getting expensive.I will stop ruining your new find:D

Quad18star
04-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Hand brakes are about $10 rims-20 tires-10 tubes-5 this is getting expensive.I will stop ruining your new find:D

So you're basically telling me , that I can go to WalMart and buy the same bike brand new for the same price I'd pay for repairs to this one right ?? :p

Maybe tomorrow when I drive my gf to work , I'll drop the bike off in the exact same spot I found it , and let someone else to think they got a " nice find" :cool:

coolex
04-25-2006, 05:13 PM

dont u guys have dumps near your houses or in the town u live in i could find a decint bmx or moutnian bike at the dump for free on ne given day of the week

Quad18star
04-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by coolex
dont u guys have dumps near your houses or in the town u live in i could find a decint bmx or moutnian bike at the dump for free on ne given day of the week

Dumps around here they weigh your vehicle as you drive in , and weigh it as you drive out . If the truck weighs more on the way out than it did on the way in , they'll turn you around and tell you to go drop off your " new" stuff . :ermm: :p

chunky
04-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Make sure you dont tell anyone where you found it. One time my friend and I found an old bike, and we stripped my dad's like 1970 bike and put huge forks on this little BMX bike. I didnt pain the frame or anything, and i put really high bars on from another friend's bike. Later that week the kid that owned the bike said he wanted it back, after he threw it in a yard by the basketball courts and left it sit there for about a month because it had a flat. Nothing would have happened to me because the people who owned the court were gonna throw it away and i said I'd take it. But his pap is the mayor and he saw me riding it and he said he'd sue me if i didn't give it back. I pretty much looked at it as a joke because his grandson can't take care of his things, but as soon as somebody else fixes it up he watns it back. So i stripped it bare and gave him all the parts, but they weren't on the bike. He got a new one a week later and all his troubles were pointless.