PDA

View Full Version : Gear Oil Leak. 86 250r

Lpt1485
04-25-2006, 12:05 PM
My chain flew off and laid waste to the entire area surrounding my shifter.

Everything is back together now and all that, but gear oil is leaking out of the shift area, there is not a good seal here.

Is there any product I could buy to fix this problem?

Or anything I can do?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Have a good one.

bananas
04-25-2006, 12:11 PM
JB weld... Local hardware store... It fixed a leak on a friends warrior...

Tyler107
04-25-2006, 08:53 PM
i dont think i would use jb weld but thats just me, you should be able to buy all of the crankcase seals and replace them

tazman7
04-25-2006, 08:57 PM
I was going to say..jb weld?? haha

If it is leaking out of a gasket take whatever it is apart- clean the old gasket off, get some high temp gasket sealer put it on both sides and press it together- let it dry before you ride it..

TravEX
04-28-2006, 06:53 PM
If it's the oil seal, just replace it. Mine leaked like crazy till I replaced it today.

You can buy the oil seal kit (7 seals for the whole engine) for bout $27 plus shipping on ebay. I called a local bearing company, and they ordered it for me. The shifter oil seal is a 14x24x6. Auto stores might can order them. Got mine for $6 a piece. I got an extra just for future use.

RIZZO
04-29-2006, 10:21 PM
I have the same problem with my 86 R....Oil leaks all around the shifter..I think I need a new seal...but also think there is a hairline crack somewhere around there too.

Lpt1485
04-30-2006, 06:47 AM
Well. The oil leak just got alot worse. The housing for the shifter that is part of the engine case has cracked.

I was riding it yesterday and the force from me shifting must have made worse whatever cracks were there to begin with.

Ill try to post some picks, can this be welded. What do I do, this is a bit of a predicament.

Thanks

TravEX
04-30-2006, 07:00 AM
Yes, I've heard of successful welding jobs. Good used left side cases are hard to find because of being chewed up in that area. When I got mine, it was like that. I guess I'm lucky not to have an cracks. My lower bolt hole for the chain saver is gone, upper bolt is mangled but will hold the bolt. The shifter is gouged as well as the case. I just replaced the seal Wednesday and no other leaks yet.

Good luck getting it welded. I heard of guys using silicone to seal it temporarily to get by till they had it welded. You may have to split the cases so they can get a good weld job.

Later

hondardr4life
04-30-2006, 11:01 AM
my friends R is leaking right were the shaft for the sprocket goes into the engine. I am almost positive that the seal is bad. Is it possible to change that seal without splitting the cases?

Lpt1485
05-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Does anyone have a fully functioning left side engine casing for a 1986 250r.

Lpt1485
05-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Can I use Marine Tex to fix this?

I see that there are brand new engine cases on ebay for 265$ shipped with all of the seals and bearings. Is this a good price and is it worth the investment?

I am not really sure on what to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

baseballplaya23
05-14-2006, 09:53 PM
I also have the problem of oil leaking around my shift shaft. Do i have to split my cases to replace the seal? what is the easiest way to replace it? thanks ahead of time.

TravEX
05-15-2006, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by TravEX
If it's the oil seal, just replace it. Mine leaked like crazy till I replaced it today.

You can buy the oil seal kit (7 seals for the whole engine) for bout $27 plus shipping on ebay. I called a local bearing company, and they ordered it for me. The shifter oil seal is a 14x24x6. Auto stores might can order them. Got mine for $6 a piece. I got an extra just for future use.

NO, you do not have to split the cases.

Drain your oil, then, just use a pick or a small screwdriver to pick the old seal out. Clean the shifter shaft good and where the seal seats. I use the old seal to press the new one in. Takes about 2 minutes. Refill with oil, ride 5 minutes, re-check oil. That's it.

b.lee
05-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by baseballplaya23
I also have the problem of oil leaking around my shift shaft. Do i have to split my cases to replace the seal? what is the easiest way to replace it? thanks ahead of time.

so do i...
i want to replace it, but its riding season...

so i just make sure to check the "oil check" bolt everytime before i ride... it hasnt been low yet, but my leak is very slow.