PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get Sparks exhaust

drybranch
04-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Where is the best place for me to get the sparks for my 300 ex? should I get the quiet core? I think I am getting the spark arrestor b/c of riding on certain trails like hatfield & mccoy.
How close is the Sparks reccomedations for jetting-I know that it is at sea level and I am at about 4000ft, will this make a difference? I know that thsi is a lot of questions but I guess I want to be prepared before I make this kind of investment.

300exOH
04-25-2006, 12:00 PM
I ordered mine directly from Sparks. I have the spark arrested version and it's much quieter than the race version. You can quiet it down even more by removing disks but you'll lose some top end. The jetting recommendations are very close. I went with what they suggested and so far it seems to be spot on. They should be able to help you get the jetting right with your elevation though. At sea level they suggest a 135 main, 42 pilot and the air screw at 2 turns out (plus or minus a half turn). That is with a stock engine and no airbox lid/modded lid.

I'm not sure if they ever came out with the quiet core for the 300ex pipe.

bwamos
04-25-2006, 12:24 PM
I have the race version of the X-4. I agree the spark arested version is much quieter.

I ordered mine directly from sparks as well. I would imagine C&D stocks them as well. May be a little cheaper with the exriders discount.

The Supertrapp quietcore may fit the spark arested version. I beleive it has a supertrapp end on the pipe. It will not fit the race/turndown version. No way to mount it. The turndown, endcap, and core are all 1 piece welded together.

bwilson624
04-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Sparks sells them direct, if you google it you'll find a few more hits though

drybranch
04-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Thanks all. Called Sparks and ordered it yesterday afternoon. They have changed their products some from what the site shows. To my understanding they are all the same pipe now for $399 and you can get the $15 spark arrestor to go in them because there are 3 screws in the rear and the end plate comes off to make repacking easier. My understanding is that the diffuser plates are done away with but this is just what I understood him to say.

300exOH
04-26-2006, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by drybranch
Thanks all. Called Sparks and ordered it yesterday afternoon. They have changed their products some from what the site shows. To my understanding they are all the same pipe now for $399 and you can get the $15 spark arrestor to go in them because there are 3 screws in the rear and the end plate comes off to make repacking easier. My understanding is that the diffuser plates are done away with but this is just what I understood him to say.

They no longer use the diffuser plates? So it's just the race version now. You can get the diffuser plates from Supertrapp if it is too loud for you. That's what Sparks used anyhow. I know I tried mine without the disks and it was VERY loud. Anyhow enjoy the new pipe.