PDA

View Full Version : Street Racing .

Quad18star
04-25-2006, 09:57 AM
This one is for all you street racers . If you don't think it'll ever happen to you , think again .

A local teen was killed Saturday night while riding his peddle bike. He was struck from behind by teens that were out street racing . The two accused and the victim all knew eachother .... they all went to the same highschool .... the school I used to attend .

My message to you wannabe Fast and Furious guys .... take it to the track and keep it off the streets .

Here's the story out of our local newspaper .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He was a wonderful son’
Family of teen killed during an apparent street race remember their guardian angel’

By Laura Stradiotto/The Sudbury Star
Local News - Tuesday, April 25, 2006 @ 11:00

Public appeal

Anyone who witnessed the fatal accident is asked to contact the Special Investigations Unit at 1-800-787-8529, ext. 1965.

A memorial created by the friends of Patrick Herard brought comfort to his grieving mother Monday.

Messages were written in black marker across the wooden cross. A Warrant CD sat upright beside a guitar magazine, pieces of a life cut short.

“I was afraid to come back here,” said Carole Lavigne-Herard, standing at the site where her 16-year-old son was killed in a high-speed accident on Saturday.

“This cross makes it better ... seeing Patrick had so many friends.

“The only comfort we have is knowing he’ll be our guardian angel now.”

Patrick Herard left his Errington Street home in Chelmsford on Saturday night riding his bike. He was heading to a friend’s house to play music when one of two speeding vehicles struck him from behind, narrowly missing a friend who was travelling with him.

Monday morning, students from ecole secondaire Champlain built a cross in their shop class for their friend. Almost the entire school visited the site at lunchtime, while police continued their investigation in the background.

“A lot of people stayed here most of the day,” said Cristine Marier, who went to school with Patrick.

She placed a toy guitar at the foot of the cross.
Patrick was an accomplished musician, who played guitar and piano.

“It affected a lot of people even those who didn’t know him.”

Lavigne-Herard said she was gathering the courage all day to revisit the accident site.

Around dinnertime, the boy’s parents and sister surrounded the memorial and read the messages left for him.

“He was a wonderful son,” said Lavigne-Herard.

“He was caring and had a big heart. He was always trying to help people.”

Police arrested two teens and charged them with criminal negligence causing death, dangerous driving causing death and racing.

Jason Daoust of Chelmsford has been charged, along with a second male who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

The boys live in the same neighbourhood and attend the same school, said Lavigne-Herard.

As she begins to talk about the problem of excessive speeding and street racing in the neighbourhood, her husband Daniel crouches at the curb, overcome with emotion.

A clump of their son’s hair lies on the road.

The discovery is too much for the family and those gathered at the memorial. After a couple of minutes in each other’s arms, the family of three leaves.

In addition to Greater Sudbury Police, two investigators and a collision reconstructionist from the Special Investigations Unit were on the scene of the accident Monday.

The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates circumstances involving police and civilians that have resulted in serious injury, sexual assault or death.

“As in all our investigations, as the independent civilian body, we’re trying to piece together all the information,” said SIU spokesman Rose Bliss.

“Specifically, what we’re looking for in the particular incident is the nature and extent of police involvement and the circumstances surrounding the collision.”

What the SIU knows is two Greater Sudbury Police Service officers in a marked cruiser were patrolling southbound on Errington Street when they saw two cars travelling at a high rate of speed.

“The vehicles a Chevrolet Cavalier and a Toyota Corolla were travelling northbound on Errington and passed the cruiser,” according to the SIU release.

“The officer turned the cruiser around and about 1.5 km away, found that the Corolla had collided with a cyclist.”

Bliss would not say whether police were chasing the two vehicles involved in the incident.

“With the information that we can speak about and that we know to be true at this point is put out in the news release,” she said.

“We can’t conclusively say more than what’s on that news release.”

Neighbours along the stretch of Errington Street where the accident occurred say street racing has long been a problem.

There are no sidewalks or stop signs along the road that neighbours say are an invitation to speed.

“It’s not just the kids, but the adults, too,” said Lavigne-Herard.

The grieving mother said she intends on doing something to make motorists aware of the consequences of excessive speeding.

Accidents involving high speed happen weekly in Ontario, and increase in the spring, around graduation time, said an OPP official.

Films such as the Fast and the Furious have popularized extreme racing. But the problem of street racing has existed since the time of Rebel Without a Cause and American Graffiti.

Car advertisements on television markets driving as “carefree and exciting,” said Sgt. Cam Woolley, media co-ordinator with the OPP’s highway safety division.

“In fact, it’s one of the complicated and risky things that humans ever do.”

The Eliminate Racing Activity on Street Everywhere (ERASE) program started several years ago in Toronto to target street racing. The program keeps expanding, involving more communities.

“This is not something we can stop with just enforcement,” said Woolley.

“Our objective is to make risky driving and street racing socially unacceptable

"We need the parents to help, to start talking to their kids.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a picture of his parents and sister at a memorial created by the local highschool students in shop class .
http://www.thesudburystar.com/npimages/newsphotos/file425200693012AM.jpg

Honda4trax250x
04-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Very true. When it comes to wreckless driving, the sad part is all anyone ever cares about is being pulled over. This story is an example that shows that the cops should be the least of their worries.

RIP

04-25-2006, 10:23 AM
yah thats sad. ive never had a fast car so I never got into the fast and the furious thing. i think all kids should have geo metros starting out

rbgnwa45
04-25-2006, 10:26 AM
This is extremely sad to hear :( That could be you. It could be me. I think another way to stop street racing is to make more tracks if anything, that would help prevent street racing. Another point, which was made, is that it should be socially unnacceptable everywhere. A picture says a thousand words.

Quad18star
04-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
yah thats sad. ive never had a fast car so I never got into the fast and the furious thing. i think all kids should have geo metros starting out

The thing is , these kids weren't driving fast cars either . One was driving a Cavalier and the other a Toyota Corolla.

Here in Ontario we have 3 stages to get your drivers License ... classified as G1 , G2 , G

G1 = You can only drive with a licensed adult that has had their license for over 5 years

G2 = You can drive alone , but must have zero Blood/Alcohol level

G = Full license with no restrictions

One of the kids driving was only 17 , which means he'd only have his G2 at the most since it takes a year to graduate from class G1 .

The other was 18 which means he could have had his full license , but most likely was still a class G2 driver ( takes a year to graduate from class G2 ) .

Both were relatively inexperienced drivers going too fast for their abilities . It would have still been light out around the time the accident happened , so the blame can't be put on not seeing the kid . My guess is that the driver came up on the kid too fast and didn't react quick enough .

rbgnwa45 I agree with you . More tracks should be built to allow for safe , organized racing . We've had clubs in our area try to get a track built for years but our city keeps shutting the door on us saying there will be too much noise . This is a prime example why a track should be built . This isn't the first street racing accident in our area to happen either . A couple years ago , a young guy on a crotch rocket lost control while racing in a parking lot and crashed head first into the side of a building killing him instantly . :(

rbgnwa45
04-25-2006, 12:43 PM
There havn't been too many vehicle related injuries here. 3 come to mind. One, a guy on a raptor flipped it, paralysing him. Another, a kid on a bike got hit, he was in the hospital for about a week, and he passed. A girl in my school recently lost a brother, I believe it was from drunk driving :( . I knew the guy too. A week before he died, I played a wicked game of hackey sack with him. Tradgities hit home when well..when they're near home.

People have to ask themselves..what's more important:

Your loved ones...

or

100dB...

fasterz
04-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Very sad story...

I have no probelem saying i go to the street races, but yea you gotta be hella carful, theirs always accidents too. I know for a fact if it wasnt so expensive and so far away to race then it would cut down alot on the racing. People dont wanna pay moy to drive their car when they can just bring it there. Im talking about the south philly street races, during the sping and summer months theirs easily a few thousand people down there its pretty rediculas and really fun, but yea its totally unsafe but theirs no where else for any one to go.

fast_enough
04-25-2006, 08:49 PM
That was very sad to read, and sad to know. RIP buddy, poor family.
This has been going on around here alot lately, and I just feel like rolling a barrel out in front of one of them, but then I think about what would happen to them. They just must not have that part of their brain. Some people just have no damn sense. Like someone stated they were more than likely just worried about getting pulled over, until they realized what and can happen.

Quad18star
04-26-2006, 06:03 AM
The funeral is being held today and tomorrow and burial will be tomorrow after mass . Having somehting like this happen in a small community really affects everyone . My cousin went to school with him and the two drivers .... everyone at the school is taking it pretty rough . Being it's a small school of about 400 students , everyone pretty much knows eachother . The school board has brought in grief counselors to try and help everyone at the school cope with the death . Just goes to show you , that an accident like this one doesn't just affect the families involved , but also affects an entire community .

I have no pity for anyone that gets caught and charged for street racing . In fact , I'd like to see the consequences raised ..... revoked licenses for minimum of 5 years on your first offences .... revoked for life if caught again and thrown in jail for a while would be nice to see .

If you can't take the time to drive your car to a nearby track to race , then don't take it out at all . You're not only looking to f**k up someone elses life , but f**k up your own also . Keep it off the streets .

rbgnwa45
04-26-2006, 06:48 AM
5 years may bring a lot of problems for people who obviously need cars for work, hell, you need a car to get anywhere :rolleyes: But one thing's for sure it would make people think twice :eek2:

motorsportsking
04-26-2006, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
The thing is , these kids weren't driving fast cars either . One was driving a Cavalier and the other a Toyota Corolla.

Here in Ontario we have 3 stages to get your drivers License ... classified as G1 , G2 , G

G = Full license with no restrictions

so with a G full license, you can drive with what level BAC?
i believe here its zero no matter what... are you saying you can drive impaired in canada?

Tommy 17
04-26-2006, 08:56 AM
a carolla and a ***alier... those are some fast cars... another pointless death that shouldn't have happened...

400exchick
04-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by motorsportsking
so with a G full license, you can drive with what level BAC?
i believe here its zero no matter what... are you saying you can drive impaired in canada?

I think you can't blow anything over a 0.08 in breathalizers. Last I heard if you blow .08 they don't charge you but suspend your licence for 24 hours.

Quad18star
04-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by rbgnwa45
5 years may bring a lot of problems for people who obviously need cars for work, hell, you need a car to get anywhere :rolleyes: But one thing's for sure it would make people think twice :eek2:

No worse than getting caught drinking and driving 1 too many times . .

The BAC limit is 0.08 and like Mylene said , if you're caught at 0.08 you'll have your license suspended .... in fact if you're at 0.07 they'll suspend it also ( happened to a friend of mine) .

Tommy I agree ..... a pointless death . The family is new to the area also ... they just moved here about a year ago .... the father is an RCMP police officer . I feel really bad for them . :(

Quad18star
04-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Oh man .... I just found out who the kid that was driving is . I'm friends with his sister ... in fact her and I were seeing eachother for a while . He's screwed for life now .... and the thing is , he's a good kid ..... not the type I figured would do something like this , but he just got his license not too long ago . :ermm:

JRP
04-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Oh man .... I just found out who the kid that was driving is . I'm friends with his sister ... in fact her and I were seeing eachother for a while . He's screwed for life now .... and the thing is , he's a good kid ..... not the type I figured would do something like this , but he just got his license not too long ago . :ermm:

that sucks, he shouldnt of been messing around like that though.:(