PDA

View Full Version : Standard shock setup for Jumping ?

Def-e-nition
04-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Hi . Has anyone played with the idea of setting up standard 400 shocks , as the guys on the yfz's do , to help the bike jump better ? and if so - What adjustments would i need to make with a C-spanner and screw-driver ????

90 kg (dont know it in pounds..) all current settings are factory .

i want to know this , as I am having difficulty in clearing a tabletop Consistently , without the bike bottoming out . Befroe i install after market (which , in this country , cost an Arm and a leg.) I'd like to toy with the standard ones first . Doing a search under shocks on this forum brings up aftermarket etc , but none on standard shocks , or settings .

Guys ??

400exMO
04-25-2006, 11:11 AM
What kind of bike. If it's a 400ex, it's pointless, all you can change is ride height.

Sonic400ex
04-25-2006, 04:16 PM
You can also change the compression on the 400ex rear shock.

400exMO
04-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Sonic400ex
You can also change the compression on the 400ex rear shock.
and rebound.

Def-e-nition
04-26-2006, 02:32 AM
Correct .

But now most people ,being as they are , would simply turn and twist on all the knobs to stiffen everything up . Is there a techie' in the house that could tell me what increasing decreasing Rebound will do , and the same for Compression ?

My guess as to what i will do : probably work on the .... Rebound ? Make the shock Recover quicker . ??

Im hoping that wont result in a bucking horse effect - it kicking the rear up as soon as the rear wheels leave the edge of the top .

Or i need to go for jumping Lessons ....:blah:

400exMO
04-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Increasing your rebound will cause your rear end to buck like crazy. Decreasing your rebound will cause your rear end to stay packed up, especially on a whoop section. Increasing your compression will cause your shock to feel really stiff, and vise versa.

04-26-2006, 09:15 AM
if you run stock shocks and are bottoming out to much then put you fronts as hard as they can go.(ride hight as tall as it can go)
when you put the ride hight at as tall as it can go it increces presure on the spring and that makes the spring rate stronger or summthin like that. elka tole me something like that.

also put your rear shock as softa s it can go. it will put less stress on your fronts and you wont botom out as easy. if you rear is to stiff then your fronts take all the abuse