PDA

View Full Version : Key Switch

Chino886
04-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Has anyone gotten rid of their key switch? Can you still run lights with out the key switch?

I have seen guys that I race against without them and I want to know what wires they snipped.

Thanks!

eganracing
04-25-2006, 12:35 PM
i think u just join the two wires leading into the key switch. i dont know why u want to do that. seems silly to me. i think your lights would still work. o and your battery might die if u do this.

Chino886
04-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by eganracing
i think u just join the two wires leading into the key switch. i dont know why u want to do that. seems silly to me. i think your lights would still work. o and your battery might die if u do this.

Cause I race MX and I don't need a key switch, I don't have the headlights on but occassionally I go to the dunes and need lights.

There must be some way to do it cause I saw a guy that did not have a key switch and he said his battery did not drain.

eganracing
04-25-2006, 01:00 PM
sorry i still dont see the point. cut the two wires leading into the switch but leave some room so if u need to reconnect them to the switch. connect the two wires and see if it works.

premiumtommy
04-25-2006, 02:22 PM
the plug that is on the front of your frame w/ 3 wires running into it...

disconnect it and make a 2 prong plug to connect the top 2 wires...

the quad will start and you can use or not use the lights w/o the need for a switch...

yeah thats how easy it is to steal the quad...

i always keep this lil tool in my pocket when riding incase someone loses a key (cause we are usually drunk or nightime riding)

K_Fulk
04-25-2006, 03:42 PM
You could wire your kill switch to the key switch wires.

04-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by eganracing
sorry i still dont see the point. cut the two wires leading into the switch but leave some room so if u need to reconnect them to the switch. connect the two wires and see if it works. ]

i agree with you

04-25-2006, 04:13 PM
You could put a small toggle switch hidden somewhere.

premiumtommy
04-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by premiumtommy
the plug that is on the front of your frame w/ 3 wires running into it...

disconnect it and make a 2 prong plug to connect the top 2 wires...

the quad will start and you can use or not use the lights w/o the need for a switch...

yeah thats how easy it is to steal the quad...

i always keep this lil tool in my pocket when riding incase someone loses a key (cause we are usually drunk or nightime riding)

just do this..then all you have to do is unplug the plug you made and plug the origional back in if need be...no cutting wires or adding or removing switches....takes literally 2 seconds to disconnect the plug and another 1 to reconnect

Rip_Tear
04-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
You could wire your kill switch to the key switch wires.

This makes a ton of sense! The problem with just getting rid of your key is also if you leave the ATV in neutral your light will still be on(assuming it's there). Also this would turn the electrical system off possibly saving some problems.

And your lights would still work no matter what, their on a different system (provided they ATV is "ON"). Maybe you are thinking Z400 style with the lights on the key...?

premiumtommy
04-25-2006, 07:14 PM
just connect the kill to the plug i described and you dont have to cut or splice wires and you can easily remove at anytime....

DieselBoy
04-25-2006, 10:13 PM
what exactly will this accomplish?

eganracing
04-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
what exactly will this accomplish?

my same question.

prepracing
04-25-2006, 11:17 PM
I agree with leaving your key switch, eliminating it will only give you and your quad a better chance at electrical gremlins and possible breakdowns that usually happen at the most inconvienient time. BUT if your dead set on doing it search some on here because I definitely remember a couple threads on this, I think one person even had a little write up on how to do it.