PDA

View Full Version : What you dont want to see in your oil screen

440_Turtle
04-25-2006, 07:45 AM
everything was going fine until i pulled my oil screen, then my heart sank. I had some scouring on my clutch cover but im not sure this is from that.

F-16Guy
04-25-2006, 08:57 AM
Either you have a troll machining parts in there, or you're about to spend some money.:eek:

JHF219
04-25-2006, 08:59 AM
hrmm i remember a site like that in my oil filter on the YFZ right before the crank took a shat :devil: good luck with that, only good things will come from this MORE POWER !!

Chino886
04-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by 440_Turtle
everything was going fine until i pulled my oil screen, then my heart sank. I had some scouring on my clutch cover but im not sure this is from that.

Where did you pull that from (oil screen)?

BLEEDRED
04-25-2006, 09:12 AM
:eek2:

Good luck man.

440_Turtle
04-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Chino886
Where did you pull that from (oil screen)?

Yeah it came from the bottom side of teh oil screen. Now ive called the guy who built my engine, he said that this happens and that i shouldnt be too worried. that eased my mind but that just dont seem right. anybody got any idea where i can start looking or do i need to split the case and start replacing bearings. Ive already got this thing tore down to pretty much just the guts, what do you guys recommend. ride it until she blows or fix it while shes tore down.

Chino886
04-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by 440_Turtle
Yeah it came from the bottom side of teh oil screen. Now ive called the guy who built my engine, he said that this happens and that i shouldnt be too worried. that eased my mind but that just dont seem right. anybody got any idea where i can start looking or do i need to split the case and start replacing bearings. Ive already got this thing tore down to pretty much just the guts, what do you guys recommend. ride it until she blows or fix it while shes tore down.

Where is the "oil screen" located at?

BLEEDRED
04-25-2006, 09:41 AM
Bottom of the motor behind the clutch side case cover.

underpowered
04-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Chino886
Where is the "oil screen" located at?

behind the clutch cover. take the clutch cover off, and it is in the center case, at the bottom.

Chino886
04-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks BLEEDRED and Underpowered!

eganracing
04-25-2006, 12:30 PM
i read somewhere that those shavings are normal. they are supposed to be from break in or somethin.

BLEEDRED
04-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Yikes, I have never seen anything like that in the screen of my 400.

440_Turtle
04-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by eganracing
i read somewhere that those shavings are normal. they are supposed to be from break in or somethin.

Thats what my builder told me. Hes been building engines for years and told me that he doesnt know where they come from but as long as they are aluminum shavings you are OK. so im going to magnet test them when i get home tonight. Ill post pictures of my clutch cover also where it scoured out.

ill_lil_romey
04-25-2006, 03:23 PM
A little alum. Shavings is normal after a rebuild but that looks like much!

maxamillion
04-25-2006, 05:37 PM
If it makes you feel any better... Mine looked similar to that. I bought it used and after some time it started to burn oil. So I rebuilt the top end. Then later my cam chain snapped and when I was installing the new crf450 cam chain, I found shavings about like that in the screen. Im not sure what part of the motor the shavings were from, but my 406ex has been running great since I replaced the cam chain. You prob dont have a whole lot to worry about.

440_Turtle
04-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Well after talking to 2 trusted mechanics they said that sometimes is happens, and not to worry. I showed one mechanic my clutch cover and he said that was more than likely where they came from.

JOEX
04-25-2006, 09:14 PM
When I first took mine apart (from stock) there were some shavings similar to what was posted in the pic.

SHARPMACHINE
04-26-2006, 06:17 AM
I did not know about this screen. I would also be alarmed to see the shrapnel (sp?) in my moter. I would guess that anyone who has not should inspect this screen at their next oil change?

what do you all think?

thanks

BLEEDRED
04-26-2006, 06:33 AM
I would guess that anyone who has not should inspect this screen at their next oil change?

It's a good idea, but it's not that simple. You have to pull the side case cover. Meaning that you need a new paper gasket which is like $20-30. And there is a lot of scraping and cleaning of the old gasket to prep the mating surfaces for the new gasket. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, the screen does need to be cleaned from time to time, but don't just plan to yank it and be done in 30 min. Might be better to take a look at next time you are working on your clutch.

SHADETREE101
04-28-2006, 08:34 PM
they are metal shavings from the transmission. if you really wanna panic open teh oil tank and take a look at the tank filter. your shavings are normal. it is the filings from the trans gears. second and third mainly.