PDA

View Full Version : raptor head

steve660 raptor
04-24-2006, 11:00 PM
i have a 2001 660 raptor, i'am replacing the head on it with a stock new head and in the manual it says to replace the head and cover as a set. i have new valves springs and cam to go with it also. will i have issues with the old cover and a new head??

Also on the major thrust side of the cylinder it is pretty scored up can i just hone and put stock new piston in it or should i bore it??

The oil can on this wheeler was ran dry and noticed before anything seized but after they got the new oil can on it it has smoked a bit ever since. i thought the head was gone but as i started to tear it apart it seemed to be ok until i got to the piston
and noticed that on the major thrust side of the cylinder was scored what i beleive to be a little more than normal and looked like the compression rings were fine but the oil ring on the piston was a bit seized. any ideas i have just not worked on one of these before and i got all these new parts before i tore it down and now i'm all :confused:

Cody_300ex
04-25-2006, 04:37 PM
I dont see why your buying a brand new if it was only ran out of oil, but not ever seized. The cylinder should be fine also with a bore job, and if its really bad a new sleeve.

steve660 raptor
04-25-2006, 06:25 PM
yeah i know i should not have bought the new head.
thats ok i could not have used it anyway cause the head and the valve/cam cover need to be replaced as a set. and for some damn reason the guy on ebay that i bought the brand new head did not have the cover and i later found out they need to be replaced as a set. the jug on the other hand is at the machine shop as we speak getting bored and then I will use the original head and cover along with the bored jug and all the new parts and then i should be rippin it up in no time