PDA

View Full Version : help on 06 450r woods racing set up

atvdude
04-24-2006, 10:42 PM
Need some help on setting my 450er up for WNYOA harescrambles coming up reall soon(may7 1st race) . Just to get started i am buying belly skid and swing arm skid. Renthal bars with power madd hand gaurds and kill teather cord. breaking out the credit card and buying itp baja wheels at 4/5 offset for the rear and 3/2 for the front with 6 ply razrs on the rear and 6 ply razr2s on the front. had shop install hrc kit and love it but the lid being off IS NOT going to be an option for the muddy races Need help. What are all you guys doing with hrc kits in the woods and how are you jetting?? I plan on buying more stuff like a stabilizer etc. as money comes but i really need to be ready for the first race coming very Soon? any pointers, pics,suggestions would be greatly appreciated from 450r woods racers. First time in 3 years ive been racing. Thank You all!!!!

Scro
04-24-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm not sure about the jetting, but...you will probably be better off with 4/1 offset wheels. I will want to be as narrow as possible for harescrambles.

woodsman250r
04-24-2006, 11:11 PM
If you are going to break out the credit card you might as well use it right and buy Hiper beadlocks all the way around. I will be honest with you, aluminum rims are junk in the woods. I have a set of douglass beadlocks in the rear and they are bent and gashed all over the place. On the other hand, the Hipers are still in perfect shape aside from scratches. Also you can buy new parts for a Hiper rim. Get a good stabilizer such as a Precision, WER, GPR, Scotts when you get the money. Big emphasis on getting your suspension done whether it be a stock revalve or aftermarket. Also try to get as much seat time as possible to get used to the bike and get in shape. Also it doesn't hurt to run, bike riding or other cardio to get in shape for racing. Hope this helps.

gbcap
04-25-2006, 08:57 AM
I agree...just break down and get hipers. it will save you money in the end cause you won't need to replace them from being bent.

get an outerwears for your filter and leave the lid off. you will have much more power with it off.

your offsets are fine. you don't want to be tooo narrow in the front or it will start pushing. hell i am moving to plus 2s up front with 4/1s and all i race is woods.

get a precision...plan and simple. get that before you get suspension. then get revalves if you can't afford LT.

red2004 TRX450R
04-25-2006, 09:03 AM
outerwears AIR BOX COVER on my 04

http://www.outerwears.net/images/gallery/151%2Dworks%2Ejpg

get some nerfs

04-25-2006, 09:57 AM
i was very concerned about the open air box as well.
i'm using the hrc lid with mud flap, plus an outerwear on my filter.
knock on wood, i have not seen a drop of mud or anything on my outerwear. only some dust. i ran a super muddy harescramble, and did not get anything on the filter. i think the main thing is try not to go barreling into high water (as shown in picture above). and do not bury the quad in water that would be high enough to submerge your filter.

but, i would also like to know where to start with jetting.
because, i'm still a little worried about running my quad this way.
my airbox has to be cleaned after every ride. i've had leaves and everything else in there.

if i'm using a 185 main, stock pilot, hrc needle 3rd clip, and hrc lid now......what would i need to change to, if i put the stock lid back on??

watts16
04-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by force
knock on wood, i have not seen a drop of mud or anything on my outerwear. only some dust. i ran a super muddy harescramble, and did not get anything on the filter. i think the main thing is try not to go barreling into high water (as shown in picture above). and do not bury the quad in water that would be high enough to submerge your filter.

my airbox has to be cleaned after every ride. i've had leaves and everything else in there.

if i'm using a 185 main, stock pilot, hrc needle 3rd clip, and hrc lid now......what would i need to change to, if i put the stock lid back on??

I had that same setup and I think I was running a 155 or 165 not sure.

04-26-2006, 09:46 AM
ok
thanks for the info.

what is everyone doing to check if their main jet is the correct size?
only thing i know to do is the spark plug test. but, is there anything that's a little easier??

Dave400ex
04-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Get the EHS racing lid. I have one on my 06, works awesome.

md1985250r
04-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by force

I dont want to be a smart a** but, how is it that you have not seen a drop of mud or anything on your outerwear,yet your airbox needs to be cleaned after every ride because it has had leaves and everything else in there????:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

04-27-2006, 09:58 AM
because the lid has a mud flap bolted to it.
anything that comes through the opening gets deflected to the back of the airbox, and then lays on the bottom of the box.

400excracer
04-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Get the EHS racing lid. I have one on my 06, works awesome. I agree. Love mine!

450R-ridered
04-27-2006, 08:43 PM
would i see much of a power difference if i put the hrc air box lid on instead of not having one on at all