View Full Version : sprokets

honda965
04-24-2006, 08:23 PM
stock sprokets i get about how many mph?

with differnt teeth, wat teeth should i run & how much mph will that take it

babiak400ex
04-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Im not exactally sure mph stock is around 60 give or take a few mph if you want more speed go to a bigger sproket up front or a smaller sprocket on the rear . If you want more torque less speed go smaller up front or bigger in the rear .
Example stock is 15t front 38t rear. More speed would be 16t 37t or either of the 2. Less speed more torque would be 14t 39t or either of the 2. Lot of people generally change the front to a 14 or 16. Imy case I have ran both 14 and 16 for differnt ride applications I had to grind off some off my case save for the 16 to fit un less you just take it off completly.

babiak400ex
04-24-2006, 08:45 PM
I think just chaning a tooth one way or the other is a gain or a loss of 2 or 3 mph im am guessing and tire size plays a big factor too. Bigger tire more speed and smaller tire more torque less speed

sevens
04-24-2006, 09:41 PM
400ex Gearing Calculator (http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm)

flauge
04-24-2006, 11:35 PM
ive been wondering this for a lil while. what if u have a 14t front sprocket like i do, that adds more accel but with less top speed, but then add a rev box that ups the rev limiter. will the rev box bring the top speed back up close to where it was before?

babiak400ex
04-25-2006, 12:18 AM
Well I just got a new cdi too and as im sure you know this lets your engine rev higher so it is posible that it could bring you back up a few mph in lower gears like 1st 2nd & 3rd. But I dought 4th & 5th gear you are going to reach the rev limiter unless you are making serious hp. This is my though on it someone esle could tell me im wrong too. But seriosly how often you going to go 60 to 65 . Anyway everyone always wants a top end mph but your not going to run that kind of speed in most cases anyway. Trails & Track you are going to be more concernd with torqe than top end speed. I guess If you are going to ride on the highway you might be more concerned.

Def-e-nition
04-25-2006, 01:44 AM
why are the later '05 models coming out with 15 /39 gearing ?

this is most puzzling , as you guys all seem to have 38 at the rear , while i had to buy one to get mine down to that ?? The bike is built in South Carolina , therefore i am assuming that all the bikes should be the same , no ??

I went 15/38 , there is a noticeable loss of speed through the gears , but up top gained a Little . If you are hunting people on a track i would suggest sticking to 15 /39 (or 8? ) and 20's . A standard 400 runs away from me and by the time im catching him we are nearing the end of the strip .

39 works very nice with 22's .Must have a pipe though - a friend of mine has this set-up , and recorded 131 km/h , but i am doubtful the reading is accurate . It was highest for the day , which shows me that standard gearing aND 22'S Works nicely .

flauge
04-25-2006, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by babiak400ex
Well I just got a new cdi too and as im sure you know this lets your engine rev higher so it is posible that it could bring you back up a few mph in lower gears like 1st 2nd & 3rd. But I dought 4th & 5th gear you are going to reach the rev limiter unless you are making serious hp. This is my though on it someone esle could tell me im wrong too. But seriosly how often you going to go 60 to 65 . Anyway everyone always wants a top end mph but your not going to run that kind of speed in most cases anyway. Trails & Track you are going to be more concernd with torqe than top end speed. I guess If you are going to ride on the highway you might be more concerned. yea i think u might be right about that, i ride down fast trails, and dirt roads and ive never hit the rev limiter in top gear..it just seems to run out of steam. so i guess the rev box wont help any...:mad:

eganracing
04-25-2006, 12:40 PM
i run 16/36. it'll go about 80-85. u need some serious engine mods to be able to hit the rev limiter in 5th gear.

Def-e-nition
04-26-2006, 01:41 AM
What concerns me though , is that we both bought in Late last year , mine was running 39 tooth rear , while shauns has a 38 on .

In the states , i believe you guys are getting 15 38 standard ,

here it says 14 39 standard .

And now we see he got a 38 rear .

WTF :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: ??

Yes , i agree : with one tooth change at the rear , the bike already struggles to pull itself out of the wind resistence hole ......

So what is standard gearing then in America ?? and if it differs from 14 39 - my bike is built in South carolina - who makes the change then when the bike leaves the factory with 15 38 ???????? The local guys ??? Importers ???

:(

d3ktrix
04-26-2006, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Def-e-nition

So what is standard gearing then in America ?? and if it differs from 14 39 - my bike is built in South carolina - who makes the change then when the bike leaves the factory with 15 38 ???????? The local guys ??? Importers ???

:(

I have read on this forum before that the 05 and 06's have changes to the tranny to make up for the different toothed sproket, so in the end you end up with the same gear ratio anyway.