PDA

View Full Version : HELP runnin rough and wont idle ?

lepred
04-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Me mates NEW ( 15hr ) LTR450 ( CB, Airbox mod only ) is runnin rough, coughin and fartin and wont idle ? we checked and cleaned the spark plug ( very black ) dropped the fuel and replaced with new and cleaned all electric points with CF primer but still no go? any one got any suggestions ? The nearest dealer is like 3 hours away so any pointers would be great.

AL Elks
04-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Make sure everything (to include the FI) is bolted down good. I have heard of one instance where the FI module was loose and caused this.

lepred
04-24-2006, 09:28 PM
yep checked all that, everything is securley fastend ?:(

04-24-2006, 10:40 PM
Reset the fuel injection-Disconnect both battery cables, leave them off the battery for 10 minutes, touch the positve and negative cable end together, reinstall cables on battery. Fire it up.

If that fails put in a new sparkplug, they still foul on fourstrokes(rarely).

Also there is a "tip over" switch that restricts or shuts off the fuel in the event of a rollover, its given a few people fits.

hotfishez
04-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Reset FI module, didn't work. Replaced spark plug, went for a quick hard run, came back ok. Turned to crap again after a while.
also noticed the fan did not come on as it normally would.

High revs, clears up
Low revs, fouls up
Fan not working, electrically related fault????
Anyone know how to check it???

Where is the tip switch exactly and how do I check or bypass it??

MXracer16
04-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Try taking out the spark arrestor as well. You arent getting enough air and its probably running a bit rich.

Rooprick
04-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Did you pull the pea shooter out? If you didn't the engine is sucking in a lot of air with no way to get it out.

hotfishez
04-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Pea shooter, air box lid and cherry bomb has been modded since day dot.
New spark plug (new anti foul/rodim plated or whatever they are called) is black after 5 minutes of riding.
The bike ran fine whilst in the high revs , I stopped for a tic, it idled ok. 1 minute later when I rode it back up top it went back to crap again.

The bike running rough and fartin around might be the consequence of an electrical fault messin around with fi system, reason being that the fan didn't come on after the last ride when it normally would.
Problem is, how do I check this as my nearest agent/dealer that would have any idea is 400kms away.

04-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Iridium plugs can cause misfire problems. The electrode is so small, the engine can run fine at first, but once it gets a carbon coating it CAN misfire. I would put a new stock plug back in just to be sure.

06LTR
04-26-2006, 07:24 AM
what octaine gas are u using? try to run 100 or better through it,the fuel pump may have trash in it.make sure that ur spark arester is out.

hotfishez
04-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Using pump premium, 96-98 its all we can get up here. Have ordered some octane boost so will give it a go with that when it gets here.
cbrm, pea shooter and airbox mods have been done since the day i got it.
Anybody know of any other sensors hidden away that might be faulty?
Testing the air? sensor on the left side next to the airbox today and the fan so will see what happens.

hotfishez
04-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Using pump premium, 96-98 its all we can get up here. Have ordered some octane boost so will give it a go with that when it gets here.
cbrm, pea shooter and airbox mods have been done since the day i got it.
Anybody know of any other sensors hidden away that might be faulty?
Testing the air? sensor on the left side next to the airbox today and the fan so will see what happens.

AceLtz
04-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Dont use octane booster. stick with your premium gas, its fine....

370kingR
04-27-2006, 04:30 AM
Call Yosh up and ask them. Mayby its a bad C.Bomb. It would be nice if you knew someone else that you could borrow their C.Bomb from to try out.

bwamos
04-27-2006, 09:36 AM
CB sounds ok. If the resistor was shot/open it would be running lean on the stock map.

He sounds like he's running too rich. There has to be something restricting his air flow, or he has a bad map.

With the CB the airbox lid, pea shooter and spark arrestor, should be removed. (which he says they are.)

I would call the dealership or suzuki direct before you drive it out.

You didn't modify the handlebar area any did you? If you don't have the tps hooked up i hear it will run like crap.

I don't own one.. so i am only relaying what I've heard.. so take it for what it is worth. (not much, lol).

hotfishez
04-27-2006, 05:36 PM
I am running too rich, the plug is comming out BLACK.
Stripped the electrics yestrday, inspected and cleaned.
Have checked and all sensors and plugs are plugged in.
Put bike back to stock and reset the FI module, didnt make a difference.

Finally got ahold of the sensor resistance figures so will test all the sensors today.

Still have excellent power delivery, therefore leaning towards sensor fault.

I do know it takes about 5 minutes for the system to set in whatever mode it needs to be in, so it makes it a bit difficult when testing. Don't want to ride it too much.

04-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Keep us posted on your findings.

hotfishez
04-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Be sure I will

450rJam
05-06-2006, 11:54 AM
any good news yet ?

hotfishez
05-07-2006, 04:44 PM
It appears the problem was in the tp/throttle body sensor. A buildup of crap was not allowing the butterfly to return to its completely seated position, This was causing the problem with the sensor. I dont know how this caused the problems i was having, but it was the only thing my mate could find wrong. After he cleaned it out, put bike back to stock( pea shooter, cbrm & air lid) 2 rides 3-4 mins each and left over night thinking of no resolve, next morning fired up first go and not missed a beat since.
Caused by Bad fuel??????????