PDA

View Full Version : 04 kfx have same frame problems like 03 ltz??

kfx_camaro17
04-24-2006, 08:17 PM
I just bought a 04 kfx400. Its on its third tank of gas and still has the nipples on the tires, I plan on getting it ready and racing the fall season but Ive read some reviews and since the ltz and kfx are the same bike i was wondering if the 04 have the same frame and swingarm bolt breaking problems as the 03?? I also heard you can take 450r shocks and mount them perfectly on the kfx, is this true?? Any help is greatly appreciated..

Villageidiott22
04-25-2006, 10:11 AM
i have an 06 and to the best of my knowledge there wasnt any frame changes from the 03 to the 04. so you mite want to gusset the frame b4 ur race season starts. havent done it myself yet but ive heard of people putting the R shocks on the kflt with no problem...

DVX440
04-25-2006, 06:19 PM
I have all 04's and I gussetted them. Some of my friends 04's started cracking but not as bad as the 03's. To be on the safe side, I would say gusset the frame. I have seen Z's with 450R shocks on them also. Also to answer your other question, I have not had a problem with the pivot bolt breaking on mine, and they have been rode hard since 2004. Just my input....

YFZ450Ridr
04-25-2006, 08:46 PM
the 04s and newer have newer frames. a simple way to tell the difference is that the older frames that cracked have the grab bar attatched to the sub frame, the new frames have a bolt on grab bar.

IrideMHSC
04-26-2006, 09:14 AM
Yea as far as i know they have some of the same frame problems... I have an 03 z and i broke my swingarm bolt pretty quick.. it was a nasty encounter with a tree but it still broke... and as for the 450r shocks yea you can mount em up but most people ive talked to that did it say that it drops the front end down and you have to adjust the rear shock... my two cents

charly-d
04-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Both 03 and 06 are the same frame and the subframe is always break right behind the bolt, I also snapp it right under the gas tank on each side
for the swingarm it was always cracking under around the big square hole ... I just weld a big aluminium plate over the hole and since there is no problem with it