PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a new TRX450 owner

playhorse
04-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Hey guys,

Been reading to forum for a about a year now and just got an 06 TRX450ER with HRC kit. I have a couple of questions to ask and have had problems with the search function and finding answers:

1) What tire/wheel combo do you recommend for sand dunes ? I'm in Cali and Pismo is where I will frequent. Should I stick with stock sizez and offsets ?

2) What is a good aftermarket airbox lid I can use that will still work with the HRC kit ?

Bear with me as get acquainted with the Honda and hopefully I can start contributing technically in the near future.

GIXXER1KR
04-24-2006, 08:35 PM
I run no lid and just use a k&n filter with an outerware!

450rJam
04-24-2006, 08:39 PM
I went with the pro design k&n with outer wear
the esr pre-filter lid looks cool but I hear you have to cut your airbox up.

I have a cheap set of straight 8 paddle (turbo paddle)
I love the way they hook up but I need fronts because it pushes pretty hard on corners.

not alot of help I know
I have tried the search thing also and sometimes I get
info I was looking for and sometimes I find nothing.

twisted threads
04-24-2006, 08:47 PM
my brother runs a ehs lid. ehs racing.com. works w/ hrc kit. you can put it on and take it off and it runs the same each way.

playhorse
04-27-2006, 01:00 AM
Am I better off running a 9'"or 10" wheel for the dunes ? A lot of guys on the forum are using 10" wheels, but wouldn't more sidewall or surface area help on sand despite the additional weight. I'm looking at going with a 20-11-9 or 20-11-10 wheel. Any opinions on this ?

stryker
04-27-2006, 02:39 AM
I prefer the 20-11-10 Sand Stars w/ just 3-5 psi. You should have no problem with traction there. But then again we have never had 20-11-9's for a dune setup. We also run the K&N w/ outerwear & no lid never having had an issue with it.

MY 2 Penny's.:D

Digsy
04-27-2006, 02:16 PM
I run ITP sand stars on stock rims at 3.5 - 4 psi and get good hook-up. They carve pretty good in the turns as well, especially on the dune faces... I don't have spacers on my hubs, but am thinking about it, cos I tipped my bike last week (my fault, but it wouldnt hurt to be wider).

I was running a K&N with an outerwear, but have added a K&N Extreme Powerlid with a pre-charger today. I am jetted up at 175 main - 3rd clip, using a DynoJet needle, main & air and running this set-up with a Yoshi TRC slip-on . Tomorow is the test run (at sea level). I will let yall know how it goes with this new lid. Anyone else running a K&N powerlid? I bought it because it is real windy and dusty round where I ride, so I dint want to just pull the lid. It goes on right in place of the stock lid, so if you are already jetted right it can be fitted real quick...