PDA

View Full Version : fender removal

roundsy
04-24-2006, 07:02 PM
alright this might be a dumb question but...to remove the front fenders do you have to pop out the two rivets or is there something im just not doing...so if some one could possibly walk me through how they took theres off thatd be great

thanks

IOWAracer
04-24-2006, 07:39 PM
ok ay there are 3 little bolts remoce them then the rivets and you should be good

roundsy
04-24-2006, 07:41 PM
alright thanks, whats the best way to remove the rivets without damaging the plastic at all?

Matt102
04-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Not the metal rivets that hold the fender flare on. The two plastic rivets underneath the hood. The ones that you just pry the middle piece up with a flathead screw driver.

roundsy
04-24-2006, 08:21 PM
thanks, i would have just thougth to take the metal ones out...also is there any companys that sell the front fenders in rececut instead of full..thanks

450rJam
04-24-2006, 08:33 PM
wow good question.
I would like to buy a race cut set of fronts also, that way I could keep the originals just incase I dont like shaved ones.

roundsy
04-25-2006, 01:45 PM
to get at the actual front fenders and the rivets behind them to pop them out, do you have to take the front shrouds off too, im just a bit confused still

450R_lover
04-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Alright. If you are just wanting to take of the front fenders (not the shrouds), just the things that flare out, you will probably need to go ahead and take of the entire shroud with the fender connected to it. to take this all the way off, there are two small 8mm bolts that you have to take out. One is up connecting the fender to the tank, and another down under the tank. After they are removed, you have to unbolt another in the front under the fender flare. Its the one toward the very front. Then once that is loose, there are a couple black push tabs up under where the hood should be. pop those out. ( to do that you just take a flat head screwdriver and pry up on the top, not right against the fender plastic, you should see what im saying) There is also one underneath the headlight. The plastic piece that protects the underside of the headlight, take that one out too.

Now, if you want to take the fenders off of the shrouds, take a drill with adrill bit that is a tad bit smaller than the head of the pop rivets under the fenders. Then, take some pliers to the backside of the rivets to hold them, this keeps them from spinning while you drill the heads off. After you do this, loosen the other two 8mm bolts that hold the brackets on underneath the fender flare. Wala.

roundsy
04-25-2006, 02:44 PM
okay that all make sense but i still got one question, if i take the actual front fenders off, will i be able to put them back on at a later point, i knew there are three bolts that hold them it in place but is that alonestrong enough or will i have to add more bolts where the rivets once were?

thanks

450R_lover
04-25-2006, 02:57 PM
You will have to go to your local hardware store and get a rivet gun (around $15), rivets (around $3) and some rivet washers (around $2). That way when you want to put them back on .. just re-rivet them. Its easy.

04-25-2006, 03:09 PM
u dont need those rivets on there to put them back on. i took mine off and yes, you can put tthem back on later

roundsy
04-25-2006, 03:18 PM
thanks for all the help...

450R_lover
04-25-2006, 03:42 PM
No problem. ;)

roundsy
04-26-2006, 10:29 AM
hey MixMM, how do the front fenders hold up with just the few bolts compared to before with the rivets in too, was there a big difference?

04-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by roundsy
hey MixMM, how do the front fenders hold up with just the few bolts compared to before with the rivets in too, was there a big difference? no theres no real difference. just check the bolts often and use loctite if you want to be extra safe.

roundsy
04-26-2006, 10:41 AM
thanks thats what i was hoping to hear!