PDA

View Full Version : save your gaskets

SHADETREE101
04-24-2006, 06:59 PM
save your gaskets
before i put any gasket on i coat them with wd-40 that way when you remove your case next time it will be less likely to rip the gasket. i do this on all of my bikes. i usually only have to replace my original gaskets since the factory doesn't do this. it basically keeps the gasket from baking to the case. this ofcourse does not include the head gasket, or rocker cover.

JOEX
04-24-2006, 07:34 PM
How many times have you be able to use the same gasket? Any problems with leaking after long term use?

SHADETREE101
04-25-2006, 07:38 PM
i am real careful when opening my cases, and running nitro/alcohol the engine had to be opened nearly every weekend. the engine doesn't create oil pressure like a car engine does. leaking was never a problem. you could also use gorilla snot to glue the gasket down to one side. let it set up over night and then oil the other side so it will always come off on the case it was glued to also. i have a friend that does this . i just prefer to soak both sides.

JOEX
04-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Would there be any circumstances where this this would not be a prefered method?

SHADETREE101
04-25-2006, 08:35 PM
anybody else have any thoughts of down falls.

SHADETREE101
04-25-2006, 08:43 PM
you have two case halves. they are met by the gasket to fill any inperfections in the material. on cars they are made to stop pressure leakage. in the 400ex engine and other atv's, there is a crank case breather. this breahter vents into the intake side of the carb. which is then sucked into the engine again. this creates a constant flow never allowing pressure to build up. the gasket therefore is only used to mate the two case halves because of flaws in the casting process. when you apply pressure to the gasket it will still seal even when oil soaked. the oil doesn't allow the gasket to stick to the case. making it possible to remove it without damaging it.