PDA

View Full Version : Carbs

PreditorTroyLee
04-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Has anyone with a 05 TLD 500 had any luck with any kind of carb other than stock

another site I was on said they got 3hp gain from a 450r carb

has anyone tried the edlebrock?

looking to get gains in overall hp

have jettet
have civic exhaust
have DG pipe (slip on)

calds650
04-25-2006, 08:23 AM
The Edelbrock works. But it work better with a twist throttle. To use a thump you need a LTZ 400 one and it will be stiffer than stock. For less money you can get the stock one work over at http://www.nicholascycle.com/

Bradracer18
04-25-2006, 01:39 PM
The stock one race modded at nicholas cycle is the way to go. People have went with other carbs, and came back to this setup. The eldebrock is not a very good carb, very stiff too. The 450r carb is actually smaller than the stock carb.

Other setups that are good, is the crf450r(dirtbike) carb......lectron carbs for dragging.......

Nicholas cycle used to have a crf450r carb for sale on their specials page........

PreditorTroyLee
04-25-2006, 05:50 PM
so would you get the cfr450 carb before youd get a edlebrock carb?

is the 05 pred carb 41mm or 42mm?
would love to get the nic cycle one done but i cant afford the down time and shipping to the states bla bla bla

wolffie
04-25-2006, 06:14 PM
it would take you more time to dick with the other carbs in order to set them up for your quad! spend the money and send your carb into doug! he does wonders to the carb, and can jet it pretty much spot on for you! as soon as i get the cash i will do that as well. oh yeah, $200 aint bad considering edelbrocks are closer to $400!!!! www.nicholascycle.com all the way! if you dont believe me, hit up the people on www.predatorowners.com

PreditorTroyLee
04-25-2006, 06:22 PM
yeah but i gotta send it to the states

then ill have to wait a mos to get it back
i got races here

mabey ill get NOS

calds650
04-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Due you use twist or thumb throttle?

PreditorTroyLee
04-25-2006, 06:28 PM
I just got my twist in the mail today

so i could use either or

Bradracer18
04-26-2006, 06:44 PM
yes I'd choose the crf450(dirtbike) carb before the eldebrock.

PreditorTroyLee
04-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Looking at either getting a full fact 4 From fmf that include this option or the RATH racing stainless to run with my DG

anyone who is running either setup or can help me make a decision please post

thanks

I want NOS but the wife says NO.......I say time for a new Wife

MAaudioX10
04-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Bradracer18
The stock one race modded at nicholas cycle is the way to go. People have went with other carbs, and came back to this setup. The eldebrock is not a very good carb, very stiff too. The 450r carb is actually smaller than the stock carb.

Other setups that are good, is the crf450r(dirtbike) carb......lectron carbs for dragging.......

Nicholas cycle used to have a crf450r carb for sale on their specials page........

Actually, the 450R carb is the same size as the stock carb. Both 42mm....the difference is the 450R carb has a mechanical slide and an accel. pump....these thing are a BIA to jet and really isn't worth the time.

I have tried the 450R carb and an edelbrock, with extensive tuning time in both. It took me a better part of a month to tune the 450 carb. The edelbrock was quick and easy. Took all of 10 minutes and, ran STRONG from bottom to mid...top end lagged a little due to the fact that it was a 40 mm carb. The throttle stiffness is killer and that is why I sold it. I have a Nicholas Cycle modified stocker and love it! Just as good low end as the edelbrock but, increased top end as well...

If I had to do it again...I'd save all my time and money and go straight for the modded stocker.

Bradracer18
04-27-2006, 07:19 AM
yeah you're right Josh.......I must have gotten the eldebrock and the 450r carb mixed up.

Doug told me once the 450r carb isn't as good as his modded carbs.........but the crf450 carb is......especially for mx.