PDA

View Full Version : Need help fast, please ASAP!!

400exbiggun
04-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Really need some help by tomorrow, tomorrow this motor is going back together and I need some info.

First off let me say, after 3 **** motors im finally happy to have a decent one (at least i hope)

Alright, we pulled apart a "mystery"motor today and found some suprises. Apparently its fully built. No idea the piston but were sure its a 416. It just has a arrow on the top, nothing else at all.

My first question is the head is ported and it has PR enscribed in it, who the hell is PR? my buddy (who has the motor) usually has TC do everything and this is the only motor with PR on it?

Also the cam says WB1***-01, i forget the numbers, but is WB white brothers?

The problem we had with this motor is #1 the plug threads are stripped and need a heli-coil, and we slapped it in a quad and it would not attempt to start for crap, starter fluid did nothing as well. Sounded like it had comp but wouldnt fire for crap. had spark and so on so forth, couldnt check comp because i need to re-tap the head.

So we pulled the motor apart and found that came. First thing we saw was it has NO decompression at all...so im assuming that cam is ment to not have a decompression? like nothing is there, that little spring, plunger, and all the setup on the cam is missing. Also another weird thing was the timing was not on at all, it was off by about 6 teeth. We pulled the head and pulled all valves to lap them, new valve seals and every valve is 100% straight (aftermarket valves, springs, and keepers as well...not sure brand). But regardless of the cam and what not the timing should be at the stock setup right? the piston head and valves had alot of buildup on them and this motor sat 4-5years easily.

GPracer2500
04-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Few aftermarket cams retain the auto-decompression system. WB's cams should be scribed with either WB1870 (the All-Around grind) or WB1498 (for the Track grind).

400exbiggun
04-24-2006, 06:53 PM
its the wb1498...this quad wont be track rode very much, i mean its a totally race built motor, but it should still use OEM cam timing right? the T on the flywheel to line up with the cam gear and the lobes facing down (compression stroke) I mean when you lined the T up on the flywheel, the cam was almost sideways

GPracer2500
04-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by 400exbiggun
its the wb1498...this quad wont be track rode very much, i mean its a totally race built motor, but it should still use OEM cam timing right? the T on the flywheel to line up with the cam gear and the lobes facing down (compression stroke) I mean when you lined the T up on the flywheel, the cam was almost sideways

Hmmm...that doesn't sound right. With the flywheel at the T mark (piston at TDC) the two hash marks on the cam sprocket should be flush (meaning lined up) with the head.

Don't let the "Track" designation for the WB1498 throw you too much. I used that cam in a 406 that I used for everthing except MX and I found it to be a great cam. I wish I still had it because I would go through the trouble to swap it with my HC stg 2 (old version) to see if I like it better--I suspect I might [shrug].

F-16Guy
04-25-2006, 08:46 AM
Yeah, that was definitely not right. Lobes down, flywheel on "T", and cam sprocket with two marks lined up with head and third mark pointing up. I would probably mic the piston and the cylinder to determine what bore it is, and if the piston is within limits. If it's good, I'd hone it and throw a new set of rings in it. You may have gotten a sweet deal on alll those new parts because someone didn't know how to set the valve timing.:D

aviator4
04-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Sounds like the piston may be a JE piston. Their tops are marked with an arrow in the middle.

Aftermarket pistons usually have the diameter and the manufacturer on the bottom side of the deck. (look inside the piston, behind the wrist pin with a mechnics mirror.. I be you can see it) Of course, you can't see it if the cylinder is still on it, so you will have to either raise the cylinder up or just pop it off and get ready for new rings and a light hone (assuming everything mics out okay)... something I'd do anyways IMHO

Cam definatley sounds wrong... lobes down, cam gear marks lined up with the head, one mark up.. thats the way it should be.

Sounds like they had it 90 degrees out.