PDA

View Full Version : trip rate vs quad rate

red4r
04-24-2006, 06:07 PM
wat would be the difference in ride quality and w/ else the quad rate springs would do compared to triplerate... thanks

400exstud
04-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Quad rate is only available for long travel shocks which also require long travel a-arms. This setup is substantially better however it is also twice as pricy.

terko440
04-24-2006, 07:53 PM
I have quadrates and arent sure that their necessary. The two middle springs are the same rate. I thought I heard they would have more adjustability options.

04-25-2006, 06:16 AM
My custom built Elka Dual rates work WAY better than my old triple rate elka's. The more springs doesn't always mean a better performing shock.

eganracing
04-25-2006, 10:24 PM
quad rate is a little overkill. the only time your giong to notice an improvement is when your going slow.

hondardr4life
04-26-2006, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by 400exstud
Quad rate is only available for long travel shocks which also require long travel a-arms. This setup is substantially better however it is also twice as pricy.

Not true, I have PEP standard travel quadrates.

TBD
04-26-2006, 08:53 AM
We have been working with dual rate springs for awhile and from the testing that we've done the dual rate works the same if not better then triple and quad rate. I've also noticed that Axis is also going the dual rate direction and Ohlins has been doing only dual rate for quite some time.

IrideMHSC
04-26-2006, 09:20 AM
For a lot of riders they arent going to even notice the difference... The triple rates in my opinion do offer a little bit smoother ride but to joe shmo racer... ( at least i personally) dont really think about it when im racin... either way anything is better than stock and will help you run a better race.

400exstud
04-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
Not true, I have PEP standard travel quadrates.

ya learn something new every day.

K_Fulk
04-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by ReeKo
My custom built Elka Dual rates work WAY better than my old triple rate elka's. The more springs doesn't always mean a better performing shock.

Same with mine

JOEX
04-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Ant insight on why the dual rates are outperforming the triple rates?

K_Fulk
04-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Beacuse they were setup correctly. :o

I think elka just keeps adding springs so you cant see the shock body.

On mine the top spring does the same job the top 2 springs did on them originaly. With less mass.

I'm no suspension expert but thats my expanation. I just know they work way better. I'm sure TBD could go much more in depth.

JOEX
04-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Beacuse they were setup correctly. :o

That was my first thought:p

I'm interested in what the others have to say as well;)

TBD
04-27-2006, 08:14 AM
The reason we are having good results is that we are using the whole spring. I'll explain. With most of the spring set ups these days they are using tender springs to get the lower ride height that works so well. When you use the tender spring to lower the quad that portion of the travel isn't doing anything except damping. The way we are using the two springs with the dual rate set up is by actually using all the spring and still getting the lower race sag as well as having the correct amount of static sag. We'are still using crossovers to get the correct ride characteristics. This is nothing new. It has been used for a long time. One other set up that we are going to start working with is the use of progressive springs with the dual rate set up. Like I said it's not new technology but more like we're going back to the basics of where it all started. All I know is that the ride is excellent and it's much quieter then having all those spring seperators making all that noise against the shock bodies.

quad2xtreme
04-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by TBD
The reason we are having good results is that we are using the whole spring. I'll explain. With most of the spring set ups these days they are using tender springs to get the lower ride height that works so well. When you use the tender spring to lower the quad that portion of the travel isn't doing anything except damping. The way we are using the two springs with the dual rate set up is by actually using all the spring and still getting the lower race sag as well as having the correct amount of static sag. We'are still using crossovers to get the correct ride characteristics. This is nothing new. It has been used for a long time. One other set up that we are going to start working with is the use of progressive springs with the dual rate set up. Like I said it's not new technology but more like we're going back to the basics of where it all started. All I know is that the ride is excellent and it's much quieter then having all those spring seperators making all that noise against the shock bodies.
Damn funny...the world is round after all. I've always argued that the top spring does nothing more than allow the quad to sit lower and keeps the springs from rattling when the shock is fully extended. When coming down from a big jump, the top spring offers no additional resistance. In fact, I was always concerned it would allow the internal pressure in the shock to build too quickly and blow out a seal. Well at least that never happened.

/Jon

TBD
04-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Damn funny...the world is round after all. I've always argued that the top spring does nothing more than allow the quad to sit lower and keeps the springs from rattling when the shock is fully extended. When coming down from a big jump, the top spring offers no additional resistance. In fact, I was always concerned it would allow the internal pressure in the shock to build too quickly and blow out a seal. Well at least that never happened.

/Jon
You don't have to worry about the extra pressure against the seals because they work better under pressure. More pressure means that they seal tighter. You're exactlly right about the tender spring. Of course the other springs also offer a little towards ride height but the tender spring does the most of the ride height.

Sjorge450R
04-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by TBD
You don't have to worry about the extra pressure against the seals because they work better under pressure. More pressure means that they seal tighter. You're exactlly right about the tender spring. Of course the other springs also offer a little towards ride height but the tender spring does the most of the ride height.

speaking of dual rate springs, when I got my elka dual rates on my 300ex, I didnt know that the second spring was supposed to compress....:p . I called Elka all scared and I thought something was wrong. But thats before I knew anything about quads....lol

And the dual rate spring is also there to help keep all four wheels on the ground when the rear isnt level.