PDA

View Full Version : Hot motor-no water-Knocking

scramblerracer
04-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Has anyone had their preddy hot enough to knock? First time for me this weekend at Loretta Lynn GNCC. I can't beleive how much mud packed in the radiator. I had to pull off on the 3rd lap because it started knocking and wouldn't go up the hills without full throtle and slipping the clutch.

Bradracer18
04-25-2006, 01:41 PM
I keep my radiator clean before any racing........and then, I put some wire "mesh/screen" up in front of the radiator to help keep the larger mud chunks out. I also have scoops, and 2-25 fin inline coolers. You could also run watter wetter, or engine ice.

scramblerracer
04-25-2006, 03:39 PM
I run engine ice. I can't imagine how bad it would have been with stock coolant mix. Motor fired up ok tonight after I added more engine ice. Oil level is perfect and not cloudy. I was worried about water in the oil, but I was lucky. Before the race the rad was clean. I have raced many muddy races before but I have never had this problem. Next race is 2 weeks- hopefully it will be ok then. I will definatly tape up the front end better if it is muddy. I may try the screen thing, I can always pull it off during the race if it gets clogged too bad. Thanks Josh

montycarlo
08-18-2008, 05:55 PM
BUMP to an old thread, sorry! :uhoh:

Bought a used Outlaw 450, checked everything BUT the coolant. Raced on the hottest day of the year and kept staying hot. Yes, the radiator was clear & the fan was working. I did notice that the bottle looked empty; haven't had time to drain the oil or look inside the radiator at all yet. Just checking to see if you've had a recurring problem?

Colby@C&DRacing
08-19-2008, 08:52 AM
This is a big problem on the outlaws. My hot light comes on after a couple of laps and stays on the rest of the day. The hot light does come on at a pretty low temp, so I haven't been to worried yet.

montycarlo
08-19-2008, 06:46 PM
You're not worried and I threw the race because of it. :mad: :cuss: :grr:

You most likely saw me parked in the shade at Decatur early on in the PM race. Oh, well, thanks for the tip! :D I guess I'll change all my fluids and verify quantities and go from there.

Colby@C&DRacing
08-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Here some food for thought

Fan on at 185 degrees
Hot light on at 221 degrees

on a honda 450 the fan comes on at 235 and the hot light is
on at 246

somewon
08-20-2008, 09:07 AM
If the light really bothers you the easy fix is to cover it with black electrical tape. The red electrical tape will work as well, but it may cause confusion and make you think the light is always on. If your going to use any color other than black I recommend green, that way it seems like everthing is OK... or you might think your in neutral. Maybe the yellow?

:D

montycarlo
08-20-2008, 05:27 PM
OK. I'll be fine. :ermm:

SSJEFF
08-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by scramblerracer
I run engine ice. I can't imagine how bad it would have been with stock coolant mix. Motor fired up ok tonight after I added more engine ice. Oil level is perfect and not cloudy. I was worried about water in the oil, but I was lucky. Before the race the rad was clean. I have raced many muddy races before but I have never had this problem. Next race is 2 weeks- hopefully it will be ok then. I will definatly tape up the front end better if it is muddy. I may try the screen thing, I can always pull it off during the race if it gets clogged too bad. Thanks Josh

IMO taping it up does nothing. I started running furnace filter in front of the radiator all the time to keep all debree out of the readiator. I hear the screen works also.