PDA

View Full Version : Advice

KrazyKarpet
04-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Guys I'm a newbie looking for some advice on purchasing a stock or mostly stock 02/03 400EX. I just bought my kids 2 90cc mini quads and my wife rides the 400 foreman we have. My past quads are a warrior, a quadracer and a polaris 400 sport. I was wondering if there are any specific things I should look/listen for when trying to find a good bike. Factory recall? motor problems frame issues anything like that. Any help would be great.

Thanks Wade

atvRiDa400ex
04-24-2006, 04:26 PM
bro...usually 400ex's dont have anything wrong with them unless they have been raced HARD. and i mean hard or the fool that had it didnt take care of it! listen for backfires from exhaust....but mostly ask about the history of the rider and bike make him tell you everything! good luck

premiumtommy
04-24-2006, 05:47 PM
and so you know, 400ex's all have a little valve ticking, so unless it is REAL loud, dont worry too much

quad handler
04-24-2006, 06:09 PM
what would it mean if it backfires through the exhaust?

400EXtreme
04-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by quad handler
what would it mean if it backfires through the exhaust? jetting is to lean or rich

JIMTED79
04-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Also look at the front end A-arms, tie rods, stering stem for bends and when your sitting on the quad push the bars back and forth looking for free play. My friend rolled his 400 and the stem was really lose after. Sub frame is another good one to look at to see if the bike has taken a bad roll. I know the bike will be clean probley so try and ride it as long as possible then look at the motor for any oil leaks. Good luck shopping, I hope this will help you a little.

KrazyKarpet
04-25-2006, 04:36 AM
Thanks guys I going to look at 02 today with a hmf pipe. He's asking 2500 and say it is really good condition. Does this price sound ok or should i try to be him down. Thanks again

04-25-2006, 04:55 AM
it is a fair price if it is in good condition...that i about what i would ask for my 2000 if i were to sell it, but mine has a few extra aftermarket things. i would try to get him down a little, always dicker with the price if possible. if there are other aftermarket parts on it like skid plates, nerfbars, bumper, etc, then you are getting an even better deal.

also check the chain, make sure it is adjusted properly, make sure none of the links are kinked and see if there is any play in the axle bearings(axle will wiggle)...good luck with the purchase, you'll be happy with it...

atvRiDa400ex
04-25-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by KrazyKarpet
Thanks guys I going to look at 02 today with a hmf pipe. He's asking 2500 and say it is really good condition. Does this price sound ok or should i try to be him down. Thanks again

represent haha yea i had bought my 02' all stock that a guy rode twice and still had the little pointy thingys on the tires and i bought it in 04' and it is such a good bike! sometimes its just little things like that u might notice...

04-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by KrazyKarpet

2500...i think is a really good price

ilpadrino113
04-26-2006, 05:59 PM
2500 is an awsome price for around here. Most stock 300ex's around that year will go for that around here.

guinness77
04-28-2006, 09:45 AM
Raise the rear end off the ground by lifing at the grab bar and slip a support under the middle of the swing arm. Make sure the tires are free to roll. Now lift-up on either of the wheels. Does the axle rock up and down inside the swingarm? What you are really doing here is checking your carrier bearings. 400ex's have the reputation of being one of the top 3 most reliable machines built. Insofar as THEY go, the carrier bearings have a history of bugs. That doesn't mean they'll last years and years. But I've heard about them going-out in 2 or 3 years. I've also heaed about them out-lasting the machine.