PDA

View Full Version : Racing!

Jeannie250R
04-24-2006, 10:55 AM
Im going to start racing and am going to start on flat tracks!! U racers here... u have any tips??? How many of u gys got trained or not??? Did it hepl or u think it'll be fine to have someone close to u, such as ur dad to train u?????

Scott-300ex
04-24-2006, 06:08 PM
I got some buddies that raced Flatrack.

I just got a 250r and I would like to race FT as well.

Ok, wut I know of it(I raced it with my kx60, but here's quad tips)

1. Shocks and suspension are everything, they can actually do more than motor mods.

2. Get the right gearing, long tracks run higher, shorter tracks with tight turns gear low.

3. Practice your starts, HOLESHOT IS EVERYTHING. If your good with your starts then you just gotta hold them off, which is easier than makin your way up.

4. Practice FT in general, turns, fast shifting, get to like the center of the turn and get on it. Some guys slide around the whole 180 degree turn some don't do wutever is comfortable and fast.

5. Lay on it hard untill the last second, then lock 'em up, this will make you a lot faster.

6. Try not to get nervous, drink lots of water, don't have a full stomach, and water is good for you. Listen to some music that will pump you up for the race.

7. Have fun, everyone you are racing is goin threw the same thing as you. The track is a great place to meet friends.

I just pulled all this out of my head, I never thought I would have all this to say. LoL.

TheFontMaster
04-24-2006, 07:23 PM
Scott had some good ideas. I don't think that you need a trainer or take lessons. Just go out and ride, get hints and sugestions from your friends.

beerock
04-24-2006, 08:07 PM
i cant emphasize enough about practicing your holeshots

do 1st gear launches and then build up to 2nd gear launches if your mtoor can handle it 3rd gear launches

Jeannie250R
04-25-2006, 10:39 AM
kool, thanx!

I'll have to practice my holeshot, I know I havent tried 3rd yet, but tried 2nd which works great!! I also just started shifting with my clutch which really works!!! And Im pretty good at turning on flat tracks!!:devil:

kicker696
04-25-2006, 11:08 AM
you didn't shift with your clutch!?!? you really shouldn't do that to often

Jeannie250R
04-25-2006, 01:21 PM
YA, I didnt till now. I really wish I wouldve started alot sooner than i did.

EvilEwok
04-25-2006, 02:01 PM
It'd probally be a smart idea for you to get one of those auto clutch deals that recluse makes, so that you can shift safely without the clutch and then when you actually are confident enough to start using the clutch it's there for you.

wicked265R
04-25-2006, 07:40 PM
I dont know about you guys, but when i race, i dont *****foot around. The clutch is used once, if not twice in a race. The holeshot and if there is situation that calls for it. I never use my clutch after the holeshot. If you're racing, race. Your bike will hold up fine without using the clutch. Just make sure you make a solid shift, dont grind in and out. Expecially on the holeshot, why would you use your clutch. you will be faster than the guy next to you, who is using the clutch, if you just lift up on the shifter than take the time to pull in the clutch. I learned that you can't really have a race bike that can be a pit bike too.
Now of course I use the clutch for launching out of burms and what not but thats motoX. I dont know much about flat track, except for the HS is the key and using the clutch will deffinetly slow you down. I dont care what anyone else says, this will make you faster than a person using the clutch. Practice holeshots with a friend, i can guarantee that you will be faster not using the clutch.

TheFontMaster
04-25-2006, 08:07 PM
It's safe to use not use the clutch when you upshift. But I always use the clutch when I downshift, and when I start. If you don't Shift right when you don't use the clutch you can bend the shift drum, and cause other internal damage to your transmission components.

250r4life
04-25-2006, 10:40 PM
this is a debated topic... some people say you should, others say you shouldnt... some people say theyve ridden their bikes for 20 years and never used the clutch and never had a problem, so will say they didnt use it and 1st trip out it caused problems...

i personally, am in the middle... of course i use it to start and what not, and if im a gear high and wanna rev it up in the power band coming out of a corner and what not... however, i often shift without it as well. i usually will let of the gas for just a second and then shift, either up or down, although i usually lay off for a second more shifting down... also, you dont have to pull on your clutch all the way, doing it a tad will help it slide in to gear a lot easier... i definately wouldnt reccomend having that sucker pinned and in high rpms and just grinding that shifter up or down...

as far as racing, i dissagree about not using the clutch being faster. when i am at the dunes draggin on the flats or up the hill, i always use the clutch... i'll launch in 2nd, and a second later i'll cltuch and grab 3rd -the tires are pretty much still just spinning and havent really gripped up yet- and a second or 2 later i'll grab 4th and again use the clutch... you want that sucker to really grab when you shift to the next gear, and its too easy to miss shifts without the clutch and it really sucks to let off for just a second to shift without it as well. so up the hill i race in 4th... on the drags when i get up into 5th and 6th, it really doesnt grab all and launch all that much, so i'll either have clutch it or sometime no clutch at all... if you have good cordination, the clutch can be a huge friend and definately make you faster...

EvilEwok
04-25-2006, 11:01 PM
I like to rev up to stay in the powerband when downshifting, so clutch is mandatory there. But I also just don't like the idea of having the costs of breaking something from doing a no clutch shift. Whatever :macho

Jeannie250R
04-26-2006, 10:28 AM
I m sticken with the clutch, feels alot more powerfull!!

Scott-300ex
04-27-2006, 05:31 PM
FontMaster had a great point. Go ask other racers. Just go to a race and spectate and go talk to the racers. I do it all the time. Its fun, you learn if you ask questions, and you make new friends. Its fun to do.

I don't think its a big deal if you don't use the clutch.

A lot of the time I don't use the clutch when shifting. If I need to make fast shifts then I just do it quick and don't mess with the clutch at all. But if I'm just drivin around and makin slow shifts then usually I do.

But wut I would do is shift with the clutch wfo. When I drag race on the sand flats and stuff, I give it like half throttle or wutever, pop the clutch, and hold it wfo and shift with the clutch, it revs up of course when you pull in the clutch, then after you shift and let the clutch out it GRABS, and pulls real hard, so I think that will make you jump ahead.

Everyone at the race the other day just did regular shifting, with the clutch and let off the throttle when you shift, if you hold on it and run wfo on the straights and clutch it, you will have a good advantage, everytime you grab a gear you will jump out.

Good luck man.

Jeannie250R
04-28-2006, 11:51 AM
oookkk. one question , wat does wfo mean?? LOL

Scott-300ex
05-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Wide F**king Open

:D

Jeannie250R
05-02-2006, 10:54 AM
ok,got it!!:cool: